[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collinsworth Says Polamalu TD

WorstCoachingEver

the referee of the game agrees

REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME

Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

We’re going to defer the full-blown explanation of the events of the final play of the Chargers-Steelers game and the provisions of the rule book that apply to the situation to the SportingNews.com Ten-Pack on which we’re currently laboring. (Writing words is hard work; please pity me.)

For now, though, the news is that referee Scott Green admitted after the game that the Steelers should have been given credit for the touchdown that safety Troy Polamalu scored as time expired.

Via a lengthy replay review and conference, Green givethed a touchdown to the Steelers, and then takethed it away, claiming that an illegal forward pass that happened during the play requiring the officials to kill the play then and there.

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”

Bottom line? Anyone who took the Chargers and the points is very happy. And anyone who took the Steelers and gave the points is peee-issed.

It is going to make the difference in at least one of my games and maybe two others. :wacko: It cost me in all three of them.

:edit to add:

I'll bet that the people that had money on the game are the ones that are going to really lose out. Well, half of them anyway.

Edited by Skippy

Wait, now we're complaining about bad calls that absolutely had zero affect on the game?

I can see SD fans being upset about the call in the game against Denver, but even then...

the nfl officiating seriously needs to be evaluated.. they cant even get calls that were reviewed correct and dont even know the rules themselves. thats kind of scary if you ask me.

Wait, now we're complaining about bad calls that absolutely had zero affect on the game?

I can see SD fans being upset about the call in the game against Denver, but even then...

I don't know if I call this complaining or not. I mean I am sort of upset that I did not get the 8 points for the fumble recovery and the TD. I am upset from my fantasy teams perspective. Nothing more. If I had the Steelers and gave the points then I would for sure be complaining. I would want to kill someone.

Just think of the people that got pissed when they scored because they had SD. Then the people that started cheering and spending the winning money. Now a few minutes later they got to flip once again. :wacko: Those are the people that are complaining and I don't blame them.

I don't see how that is any different than complaining about miscues your team made that ultimately didn't cost them the game. They're still screw ups and something that needs to be addressed and improved. Sure, this time it didn't matter. However, it does seem as if screw ups on the part of the officials are becoming an increasing problem.

As was mentioned, this wasn't even a case of them messing it up in the heat of the moment. This was them actually getting it right in the heat of the moment and then taking the time to watch the tape and then screwing it up.

Besides, which of those tosses actually went forward anyway?

They were talking about this on mike and mike. 2 to 1 was bet on Pittsburgh to win. If i caught the #'s correctly (i was in the other room) i believe they said $100 million was bet on the game. So Pitt not covering was worth about $33 million to vegas :wacko:

. . . which is chump change to "Vegas", of course. They make their money on the percentage they skim off the top. Now there are lots, lots, lots more knowledgeable posters about this on these boards, but IIRC Vegas would like the action split evenly on both teams if they could have their way . . . the line is designed to draw this kind of action. Either they had a crappy line, or . . .

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

the referee of the game agrees

REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME

Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

We’re going to defer the full-blown explanation of the events of the final play of the Chargers-Steelers game and the provisions of the rule book that apply to the situation to the SportingNews.com Ten-Pack on which we’re currently laboring. (Writing words is hard work; please pity me.)

For now, though, the news is that referee Scott Green admitted after the game that the Steelers should have been given credit for the touchdown that safety Troy Polamalu scored as time expired.

Via a lengthy replay review and conference, Green givethed a touchdown to the Steelers, and then takethed it away, claiming that an illegal forward pass that happened during the play requiring the officials to kill the play then and there.

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”

Bottom line? Anyone who took the Chargers and the points is very happy. And anyone who took the Steelers and gave the points is peee-issed.

. . . which is chump change to "Vegas", of course. They make their money on the percentage they skim off the top. Now there are lots, lots, lots more knowledgeable posters about this on these boards, but IIRC Vegas would like the action split evenly on both teams if they could have their way . . . the line is designed to draw this kind of action. Either they had a crappy line, or . . .

Peace

policy

A friend of mine who gambles much more than I do and allegedly worked for a bookie when he was a kid said that bookies have been taking a beating this year (not sure how or why, I'll ask him to elaborate later), so something like this would be nice.

I do have to say, when a game that was about to go the way of the bookies, all of a sudden doesn't. Then, a completely correct call on the field is reversed despite, not only lacking indisputable evidence, but really any evidence at all, pushes it back to the bookies favor? Considering that not only would there need to be a forward lateral (which there wasn't) and that even if there was it would seem like other penalties, something that would only impact the spot of the ball if the penalty was accepted by the other team (which they obviously wouldn't have). I mean, I understand that these guys aren't full time (which is amazing considering how much money the league generates), I do think that somebody there had to be on top of it enough while the review was going down to make the right call.

Just sayin...

I can agree with you on evaluation the officiating. I don't blame the officials at all. They're human, make mistakes and if there is a problem, then the league needs to spend more time educating their crew. And teams need to educate themselves better too, so they can assist the refs in making the right call.

Don Shula changed referee minds more than once since he knew rules better than them.

hell, even McNabb didn't know the OT rule.

This problem isn't isolated in one or a few individuals. The league needs to train better and coaches need to hire some rules geek to advise them at a time like this so they can communicate with refs. I bet there are 32 rules geeks out there that'd be thrilled to quit their job and stand on the sidelines for $50k a year. That's pennies for one right correction.

That's your worst bad beat?

That's the kind of complaining that I think is silly. Sorry to be a dick.

given the situation, it is quite irritating....

I've read a couple articles on this play and nowhere have I seen the ruling explained, at least not well enough for me to understand.

The best I got was from one article that said the refs got confused as to which pass specifically was being ruled an illegal forward pass. The final ruling on the field was that the last lateral was an illegal forward pass, so that when it hit the ground, it was an incomplete illegal forward pass, and the play (and the game) ended right there.

Subsequently, in the lockerroom I guess, the refs realized that the forward pass which was illegal was Rivers' pass to Tomlinson, and since that pass never hit the ground (it was completed), they should have let the play continue and finish out, and then give Pittsburgh the right to decline the penalty if they so chose.

The piece I don't get is why was Rivers' pass an illegal forward pass? Had he gone beyond the line of scrimmage prior to throwing it?

I've read a couple articles on this play and nowhere have I seen the ruling explained, at least not well enough for me to understand.

The best I got was from one article that said the refs got confused as to which pass specifically was being ruled an illegal forward pass. The final ruling on the field was that the last lateral was an illegal forward pass, so that when it hit the ground, it was an incomplete illegal forward pass, and the play (and the game) ended right there.

Subsequently, in the lockerroom I guess, the refs realized that the forward pass which was illegal was Rivers' pass to Tomlinson, and since that pass never hit the ground (it was completed), they should have let the play continue and finish out, and then give Pittsburgh the right to decline the penalty if they so chose.

The piece I don't get is why was Rivers' pass an illegal forward pass? Had he gone beyond the line of scrimmage prior to throwing it?

supposedly it was the tomlinson to chambers exchange that was illegal

Good call, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is the play if you're interested - not great clarity, but it does appear that the flip from LT to Chambers is forward.

Yup, I saw that one as soon as it happened but I was stunned when they came back and said the play was dead.

How is that forward? When the ball changes hands, LT is a full yard ahead of Chambers.

How is that forward? When the ball changes hands, LT is a full yard ahead of Chambers.

LT lets go of the ball at the 25 and chambers catches it at the 26...LT dropped it off behind him but due

to his momentum the ball did travel forward thus making it an illegal forward pass

edit: think of it this way...say the fastest guy in the NFL heaves a hail mary downfield and then ran into the back of the endzone but the ball was caught at the one...would that not be a forward pass? Of course it would because to be a forward pass the ball only has to travel forward...has nothing to do with where the person is that thru it(of course as long as part of their body is still behind the LOS, but you get the point)

Edited by keggerz