[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Fassel wants to be the next Raider coach

kpholmes

Link

From ESPN

In letter to Davis, Fassel says he wants to coach Raiders

Jim Fassel has stepped up his campaign to become an NFL head coach again in the most interesting of ways.

A team source tells ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Fassel recently sent a handwritten letter to Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, expressing his respect and admiration for Davis and his desire to coach the embattled franchise.

Fassel last worked in the league as offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens from 2003 until his dismissal midway through the 2006 season. He was head coach of the New York Giants from 1997 until the team fired him after the 2003 season.

Fassel was 60-56-1 in seven seasons with the Giants and led the club to a Super Bowl XXXV appearance against Baltimore. He had two interviews with the Washington Redskins last offseason before owner Daniel Snyder ultimately decided to hire Jim Zorn as his coach.

Lane Kiffin was fired by Davis on Sept. 30 after Oakland started 1-3, with the job going to offensive line coach Tom Cable on an interim basis. The Raiders are 1-4 under Cable. Kiffin, meanwhile, has filed a grievance against Davis in an attempt to collect the remaining money on his contract.

The upheaval within the coaching staff has yet to abate. Davis, it turns out, stripped offensive coordinator Greg Knapp of play-calling duties, a source told Mortensen. Cable said last week that he relieved Knapp of his duties before a Week 10 loss to the Carolina Panthers and would remain in that role for the rest of the season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

While I'm not the biggest Fassel fan, this would be a hugh move for the franchise and I would welcome it with open arms.

Link

From ESPN

While I'm not the biggest Fassel fan, this would be a hugh move for the franchise and I would welcome it with open arms.

I agree - the Raiders problem isn't necessarily their coaching staff or players, it's the lack of consistency and chemistry between the two which stems from Al Davis. Hopefully if Fassel ends up becoming coach, Davis will give him the freedom to rebuild this team and take a backseat in the process. If he doesn't allow this, not much will change.

As a football fan, I want to see the Raiders back in the mix in the AFC - I just have my doubts with Al Davis at the helm. I've written a few articles about this situation:

I agree - the Raiders problem isn't necessarily their coaching staff or players, it's the lack of consistency and chemistry between the two which stems from Al Davis. Hopefully if Fassel ends up becoming coach, Davis will give him the freedom to rebuild this team and take a backseat in the process. If he doesn't allow this, not much will change.

As a football fan, I want to see the Raiders back in the mix in the AFC - I just have my doubts with Al Davis at the helm. I've written a few articles about this situation:

Not sure if you're trying to stay around on this site but I see your new so I'm gonna help you out. I would stop posting all the links to your site, the admins don't really take a liking to that. Considering your name is nflblog and your dropping links to nflblog articles it kinda looks fishy.

Edited by Flip_Side

Not sure if you're trying to stay around on this site but I see your new so I'm gonna help you out. I would stop posting all the links to your site, the admins don't really take a liking to that. Considering your name is nflblog and your dropping links to nflblog articles it kinda looks fishy.

Yea, already sent a PM trying to give him the heads up.

Do Raider fans believe if Fassel gets the job, that things will change with Davis? Why will Davis all of a sudden give free reign?

Fassel does have something that no Raider HC has had in a long time: credibility. People may not love him, but he has something on his resume that not many coaches have, and that's a SB appearance.

That's appreciated, haha.... I only did that because the articles were relevant to the topic. But I'll absolutely keep that in mind.

Edited by thenflblog