[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb...are you serious?

HowboutthemCowboys

sorry if this was posted already, I looked and did'nt see it.

The Eagles (5-4-1) now have played 12 OT games, including one in the playoffs, since McNabb joined the team in 1999. Yet, the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback didn't know ties were possible until his desperation pass fell incomplete at the end of the fifth quarter.

"I've never been a part of a tie. I never even knew that was in the rule book," McNabb said after the game. "It's part of the rules, and we have to go with it. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately, with the rules, we settled with a tie."

The overtime rule isn't an obscure one. It was adopted fully by the NFL in 1974 and 17 games have since ended tied. The Eagles have been involved in four of those games.

"I guess we're aware of it now," McNabb said. "In college, there are multiple overtimes, and in high school and Pop Warner. I never knew in the professional ranks it would end that way. I hate to see what would happen in the Super Bowl and in the playoffs." :D

Uh, they keep playing if it's tied in the playoffs or Super Bowl. But McNabb apparently didn't know that, either.

:wacko:

I have been a McNabb & Reid supporter for years but I just can't stick up for them anymore. The excuses are just getting more ridiculous every week. I know they have won a lot of games in the past but I think their time is up in Philly. I feel bad for Mcnabb though for two reasons. First, I don't understand why Reid drafted a QB with McNabb's skill set to run Reid's type of offense which calls for a lot of touch passes. McNabb's strength is the deep pass, not the short touch passes. And second, other then 1 year, McNabb has never really had any weapons at the WR position. You put McNabb on a power running team and I think his overall numbers are much better. That being said, I question McNabb's knowledge of the game and his position. He constantly holds onto the ball too long which leads to bad sacks. He has to learn to just throw it away sometimes. And he has to stand up and take control of the game. If you think the play call is bad grow a set and call a friggin audible.

sorry if this was posted already, I looked and did'nt see it.

The Eagles (5-4-1) now have played 12 OT games, including one in the playoffs, since McNabb joined the team in 1999. Yet, the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback didn't know ties were possible until his desperation pass fell incomplete at the end of the fifth quarter.

"I've never been a part of a tie. I never even knew that was in the rule book," McNabb said after the game. "It's part of the rules, and we have to go with it. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately, with the rules, we settled with a tie."

The overtime rule isn't an obscure one. It was adopted fully by the NFL in 1974 and 17 games have since ended tied. The Eagles have been involved in four of those games.

"I guess we're aware of it now," McNabb said. "In college, there are multiple overtimes, and in high school and Pop Warner. I never knew in the professional ranks it would end that way. I hate to see what would happen in the Super Bowl and in the playoffs." :D

Uh, they keep playing if it's tied in the playoffs or Super Bowl. But McNabb apparently didn't know that, either.

What an idiot, I've been knowing this since I was 10

Has McNabb ever wondered where his team was in the standings? Did he ever look in a newspaper to see what his team's record was? Did he ever notice that when you do this, there are THREE columns in the standings?

I am one of the biggest Reid and McNabb apologists...and while I actually don't think this matters much in the grand scheme, in 2002, the Eagles played the Falcons in the division weekend game....the Falcons had a tie that year and it's what got them the 2nd wild card - i can't believe he wouldn't have known this

what does matter is that i used to love McNabb 98% of the time and thought "man, what is he doing" about 2%, and that was almost all clock management and throwing the ball in the dirt...now, it's closer to 85/15 and that 15 is encompassing a lot of things - like the whole 1st quarter usually plus some wack job throws he never previously made

I'm still on their side, but if they don't catch fire, this will be the most disappointing team other than that 2002 squad and that was just one game of disappointment, this is a whole season. What's f'd up is their last 13 losses/ties (8 last year, 5 this), 11 of them you can point at one play that could have won the game for them. Hardly any of their wins are like this for the other team. Last year just figured it was luck, now starting to think it's the luck they are making

Wow that is shocking and disgraceful. McNabb won't live that one down and sounds like a real idiot. For the Eagles it's real simple, you're just not good enough to compete in the tough NFC East anymore. The NFC East is now a physical, smash mouth division with power running attacks. The eagles can't run the football and aren't committed to it because Westbrook can only take x amount of touches per game and their running attack just isn't very effective. When defenses know you're going to pass the ball 70% of the time it's much easier to defend with slightly above average WR's.

Reid would be wise to get a power running back to balance the offense and lighten the load on Westbrook. The philosophy of this offense is no out of touch with the division and needs to change fast. Otherwise just cut McNabb loose and roll with Kolb who looks like a decent prospect. I'd like to see McNabb in a different city anyway with fans that appreciate his talents instead of bashing him 24/7. He's been in a can't win situation now for years.

McNabb is an idiot. Plain and simple. You cannot look any more stupid with the comments he made. I can understand not LIKING the rule, but to say he didn't KNOW the rule is beyond belief. I asked my dad what would happen if two teams tied before I was a teenager. It's hard to believe a 10 year NFL veteran QB never had the question cross his mind. Did he ever wonder why the clock ran in overtime? DId he ever wonder why the Falcons and Steelers had a mysterious third number in their record 5 years ago? Can he possibly be so stupid as to think a play-off game or Super Bowl could end in a tie? Has he ever glanced at NFL standings in the paper and seen 3 columns? One labeled W, one labeled L, and one labeled T? :wacko:

Edited by CaptainHook

What's f'd up is their last 13 losses/ties (8 last year, 5 this), 11 of them you can point at one play that could have won the game for them. Hardly any of their wins are like this for the other team. Last year just figured it was luck, now starting to think it's the luck they are making

I know what you are trying to say but it seems thats pretty common in today's NFL. Seems like almost every game the Saints have lost this year they didn't make 1 play that might have won them the game..

@ WAS - can't convert a 3rd and 1 late in the game to seal the lead and run the clock out with a 1st down.

@ DEN - Gramattica missed fg at the end.

vs MIN - Gramattica missed fg with 2 min to go in the 4th.

The other 2 losses were @ Carolina (got blown out) and @ Atlanta (too many turnovers).

The NFL is a game that seems to be won with a play here or there. Turnovers can be killers and a big play on offense/special teams can be the difference in winning and losing.

Edited by myhousekey

I really don't see how anyone could blame the coaches... this is not some obscure rule. Players have a responsibilty for basic knowledge, just like anyone who gets paid for services as an employee. That fact that McNabb has been involved in so many games that were tied after regulation and he doesn't seem to even remember that fact is mind boggling.

Do the coaches have to tell players that there are 4 downs too? As it turns out, there were several Eagles players that didn't know. That is like a newpaper reporter who doesn't know that there isa an asterisk key on his keyboard or a baseball catcher that doesn't know if he holds into a tipped 3rd strike, it's a K. BASIC stuff.

Welcome to your first day of high school kids! We will start by making sure you can all tie your shoes today!

That story's from the Onion right? right? No? :wacko: How on earth can he not know that... and what made him admit to not knowing it.

espn, and apparently he was'nt the only moran on the team...

In his defense, McNabb wasn't the only one oblivious to the rules. Several of his teammates were just as clueless.

"Me and Greg Lewis were discussing it on the sideline, so we asked one of our trainers and he told us it ends in a tie," running back Correll Buckhalter said.

"I found out while we were in OT," rookie wideout DeSean Jackson said.

"I thought we kept playing," linebacker Omar Gaither said.

:D:D

Here is what I think is strangely ironic... after all of this, all the media coverage, I bet there are still a boatload of NFL players that STILL don't know these OT rules. I might understand a rookie not knowing, but a QB? The brains of the offense?

I'd also bet that this topic is covered in a lot of team meetings tomorrow... you can not underestimate the stupidity of the general public... or some NFL players. And people don't think the Wunderlic test is needed....

I know what you are trying to say but it seems thats pretty common in today's NFL. Seems like almost every game the Saints have lost this year they didn't make 1 play that might have won them the game..

@ WAS - can't convert a 3rd and 1 late in the game to seal the lead and run the clock out with a 1st down.

@ DEN - Gramattica missed fg at the end.

vs MIN - Gramattica missed fg with 2 min to go in the 4th.

The other 2 losses were @ Carolina (got blown out) and @ Atlanta (too many turnovers).

The NFL is a game that seems to be won with a play here or there. Turnovers can be killers and a big play on offense/special teams can be the difference in winning and losing.

Oh, I agree with you for the most part on the NFL in general, but looking at the saints 5 losses you list, and they had 3 that were easily winnable. That's about normal I'd guess. The eagles are now at a 11 out of 13 sort of trend on this, and to make matters worse, none of their wins are like this. They simply either have to win big, or they are going to find a way to lose - think it says something about them. I'm still hoping it's a bit of bad luck that has to turn, but starting to think otherwise.

Turns out he's not the only one:

"Me and Greg Lewis were discussing it on the sideline, so we asked one of our trainers and he told us it ends in a tie," running back Correll Buckhalter said.

"I found out while we were in OT," rookie wideout DeSean Jackson said.

"I thought we kept playing," linebacker Omar Gaither said.

So at least 5 players on this team didn't know that - something seriously wrong with that, although I'm not sure what....

What's also funny - 17 tie games - Eagles have now been in 4 of them, or almost a quarter....(last one was 97 though, so none of the current players were involved)

What about the space engineer who confused feet and meters.

Making sure everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goal is a key part of managing. Don't coaches also manage?

knowing that the overtime period in the NFL is sudden death is common knowledge to you and me and we're not pro football players.

I coach little league. I don't have to remind my kids that if we're the home team and we take the lead in the bottom of the last, we win. They know this. They're aged 9-12. C'mon man.

What about the space engineer who confused feet and meters.

Making sure everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goal is a key part of managing. Don't coaches also manage?

I watched the post game interview and apparently Donovan wasn't the only one who didn't know about this. It's crazy, I know about it and have known about it since I was a child.

I'm also disgusted by the Eagles season this year. I expected more out of them and Andy Reid says the same thing every press conference - "we'll work it out, small changes here and there, keep firing"... how about they get a real FB, a bruising RB, a top flight WR. I feel like they spread the ball around too much, and it doesn't allow any one receiving option to get in a rhythm. And now that Westbrook is banged up and probably will be for the rest of the season, they have been badly exposed.

I can not understand why Reid did not go with Kolb at some point in that game, this was a disgrace to pass almost 60 times and only end up with 13 points.

This was as good as a loss, so I don't understand why if McNabb has 3, 4 5 whatever incomplete passes in a row it's clear he does not have what it takes. and (IMO) McNabb and Ried should both be fired.

Edited by rai