[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorite Microbrews

thenflblog

One of my favorites that I only had a chance of drinking at Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee, was Sweetwater 420 from Georgia. I also really like Magic Hat (#9, Circus Boy), Sierra Nevada, and Yuengling. One I have yet to try is Flying Fish from Cherry Hill, NJ. Considering I live relatively close to this brewery and haven't taste tested, I think it will be my next purchase.

Since some of the best microbrews don't get shipped throughout the country, I'm interested in hearing all of your favorite microbrews that we may or may not have heard of. So what kinds do you guys like?

Edited by thenflblog

Probably my two favorites are Victory and Rogue. Really good people and very interesting beers. Like Dogfish Head as well. Stone just made our market and the product is pretty nice. I'm just rather annoyed by their "your not worthy" marketing campaign. It's also bloody expensive and IMO, not enough better than everyone else's stuff to warrant the price.

I'm a big fan of the Southern Tier brewery out of NY. Look for their many beers...

I just tried their IPA on the recommendation of the beer guy at my favorite store. Not bad at all. Very hoppy, which I like.

I still have to say that Dogfish Head is my favorite. Anchor Steam is up there as is Sierra Nevada.

tie-Flying Dog(Frederick, MD) DogFish(Milton, DE)

2.Firestone (Paso Robles, CA)

3.Clipper City(Baltimore, MD)

4.Hook & Ladder(Silver Spring, MD)

I personally don't consider Sierra or Yuengling microbrews anymore since they can be found around the country

tie-Flying Dog(Frederick, MD) DogFish(Milton, DE)

2.Firestone (Paso Robles, CA)

3.Clipper City(Baltimore, MD)

4.Hook & Ladder(Silver Spring, MD)

I personally don't consider Sierra or Yuengling microbrews anymore since they can be found around the country

Yea, I honestly wasn't sure if they were sold everywhere.

Currently falling in love with Magic Hat myself-- the #9 not-quite-pale-ale, circus boy hefe, and especially the Jinx "strong autmnal ale". I like all the Stone stuff, especially the Arrogant Bastard Ale. Lienenkugel's isn't really a micro, but if there's anything as consistently good and cheap I haven't found it. The current seasonal, Fireside Nut Brown, is frigging tasty. I do like Flying Dog as some others have mentioned.

Gotta give it up to the local boys down at Bell's, though. Oberon was a citrusy wheat ale before citrusy wheat ales were plentiful. Used to be strictly a summer seasonal, but got so ragingly popular that "summer" in Kalamazoo, MI now apparently stretches from St. Patrick's Day to Halloween. :wacko:

Peace

policy

Big fan of Magic Hat (the #9 has proven to be their star and is getting pretty popular. It has a slight apricot flavor and I love my fruit beers, right Bier :wacko:) and Flying Dog (really like their IPA and a few others).

I've bought a couple variiety packs of Heavy Seas stuff recently. Pretty good but ALL of them are high alcohol content.

Currently falling in love with Magic Hat myself-- the #9 not-quite-pale-ale, circus boy hefe, and especially the Jinx "strong autmnal ale". I like all the Stone stuff, especially the Arrogant Bastard Ale. Lienenkugel's isn't really a micro, but if there's anything as consistently good and cheap I haven't found it. The current seasonal, Fireside Nut Brown, is frigging tasty. I do like Flying Dog as some others have mentioned.

Gotta give it up to the local boys down at Bell's, though. Oberon was a citrusy wheat ale before citrusy wheat ales were plentiful. Used to be strictly a summer seasonal, but got so ragingly popular that "summer" in Kalamazoo, MI now apparently stretches from St. Patrick's Day to Halloween. :wacko:

Peace

policy

Funny you mention the Fireside Nut Brown - I just got this yesterday! It's something else to say the least. Considering how dark it is, it's not really heavy like other winter seasonals, and I've never tasted a beer that has that chocolate/caramel finish like this one. I really dig their Sunset Wheat too.... I tried it because a cousin of mine said it tasted like Fruity Pebbles. Naturally, I didn't believe him, but after trying it I have to say that comparison is dead on.

Lienenkugel's isn't really a micro, but if there's anything as consistently good and cheap I haven't found it. The current seasonal, Fireside Nut Brown, is frigging tasty.

Lienie's stuff is competent and drinkable, but it seems to me to lack a distinctive character.

Huddlers in Wisconsin/Minnesota may want to keep their eyes peeled for offering from Furthermore out of Black River Falls. Their Oscura coffee lager is good and tasty, great winter beer; and their Fatty Boombalatty Belgian (but hoppy!) is listed as "dangerously drinkable" and I can assure you they don't lie.

Edited by Chavez

Peace

policy

Bells Two Hearted is pretty damned good as well.

Peace

policy

OK, I should have mentioned Oberon. This stuff is fantastic. I always try to pick up a couple mini kegs when I roll through Michigan. Glad to hear they are extending the brew season for it. In fact, my local beer guy just told me they are finally distributing Bells in the county I live in. This is a new and welcomed development. He told me I have to pick up their Expedition Stout. I am still looking for it so I have no review as of yet. Also, Det is right, the two hearted is tasty!