[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polamalu TD would have change outcome of game in league

Dont Rookie Me........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change the official NFL outcome to an unofficial outcome of your choosing... you better be prepared to watch every play of every game to ensure no one else may have had a change (again, according to your every whim). The NFL gets paid to do this, you do not.

Edited by Riffraff

Here are "my thoughts".

If anyone bettor or fantasy player would have won or lost on a "freak", desperation, last play of the game in the likes of the famous Stanford game, I think it would have been just as much BS.

It was a score that and no impact on the final outcome of THE REAL NFL PROFESSIONAL NON-FANTASY GAME and even IF an offensive touchdown had somehow miraculously won the game for the Chargers, as a Charger fan I would have still felt bad for the Steelers. The chances of that play scoring for the Bolts were far less than any "Hail Mary" we have seen fail time and time again. If you expect me to feel sorry for any fantasy or betting fan because that play was NOT ruled a touchdown, go f'n cry somewhere else. :wacko:

Look at it as this way. The "Hail Mary" is now always batted down to end the play. You don't see guys trying to intercept and return those things for a TD, just win the game and get off the field. The freakish nature of how that play went down in the Helter Skelter craziness, just solidifies even more that it is a non-issue. It was doomed to fail, but the Chargers had to look like they were trying something. The Steelers had no more "right" to expect a TD out of that play than the Chargers did and probably less.

Simply, it was a failed desperation play on the last play of the game where the team behind did not convert, just like the Hail Mary, 60-yard field goal or 2-point conversion (the last being the best odds).

:D

Here are "my thoughts".

If anyone bettor or fantasy player would have won or lost on a "freak", desperation, last play of the game in the likes of the famous Stanford game, I think it would have been just as much BS.

It was a score that and no impact on the final outcome of THE REAL NFL PROFESSIONAL NON-FANTASY GAME and even IF an offensive touchdown had somehow miraculously won the game for the Chargers, as a Charger fan I would have still felt bad for the Steelers. The chances of that play scoring for the Bolts were far less than any "Hail Mary" we have seen fail time and time again. If you expect me to feel sorry for any fantasy or betting fan because that play was NOT ruled a touchdown, go f'n cry somewhere else. :wacko:

Look at it as this way. The "Hail Mary" is now always batted down to end the play. You don't see guys trying to intercept and return those things for a TD, just win the game and get off the field. The freakish nature of how that play went down in the Helter Skelter craziness, just solidifies even more that it is a non-issue. It was doomed to fail, but the Chargers had to look like they were trying something. The Steelers had no more "right" to expect a TD out of that play than the Chargers did and probably less.

Simply, it was a failed desperation play on the last play of the game where the team behind did not convert, just like the Hail Mary, 60-yard field goal or 2-point conversion (the last being the best odds).

I agree with everything you said here.

However, there is a playoff tie-breaker scenario on margin of victory. It is down the list, but, it has been used before. That is the only thing that I care about regarding this situation, and, because of that, I do wish they would have gotten it right.

Edited by Menudo

:wacko:

You are seriously considering making a scoring change because you percieve that PIT should have scored again. OMG.

I think I would have won a couple more games this year if my kicker had hit some field goals he should have hit. I wonder how many teams would have won their game if Lindell hits a 47 yard FG he should have hit.

I wonder how many teams would have won their game if Lindell hits a 47 yard FG he should have hit.

We've taken that out of the equation. Kickers get points for the FG attempt, regardless of if they make it or not. We do the same thing for QB's, WR's, and RB's. If an RB should have broken a long run, we give him credit. If a QB should have completed a pass, why should he not get the yardage? It completely takes the refereeing out of the game and avoids situations as mentioned above. Why should we penalize someone for not performing or allow the refs to make mistakes?

Edited by Hugh 0ne

your are opening a very dangerous can of worms if you make a scoring change.

should SD get credit for a fumble recovery in the DEN game? The refs blew the call? Should you then take away Royal's TD and two point conversion? Should you deduct points from Cutler as well? See?

Edited by CaptainHook

We've taken that out of the equation. Kickers get points for the FG attempt, regardless of if they make it or not. We do the same thing for QB's, WR's, and RB's. If an RB should have broken a long run, we give him credit.

How does that work when some candy-ass LB should have made a tackle? Or maybe your league can score tackles and TDs on the same play...

your are opening a very dangerous can of worms if you make a scoring change.

should SD get credit for a fumble recovery in the DEN game? The refs blew the call? Should you then take away Royal's TD and two point conversion? Should you deduct points from Cutler as well? See?

SD fans ought to be thanking the refs profusely for that call. It prepared them very early for how bad this SD team really is.

:wacko:

You are seriously considering making a scoring change because you percieve that PIT should have scored again. OMG.

I think I would have won a couple more games this year if my kicker had hit some field goals he should have hit. I wonder how many teams would have won their game if Lindell hits a 47 yard FG he should have hit.

I don't see the corelation here.

A kicker missing a field goal, is just that, a kicker missing a field goal.

A defensive TD that DID happen, no ifs ands or buts about that, but got wiped out simply because of a blown call by the stupid zebras even with the aid of review & its multiple camera angels, slow mo & super slo mo with freeze frame...is a whole different kettle of fish.

#1) The scenario above....The Kicker missed the Field Goal. That simple.

#2) The scenario in this thread...That Polamalu & the Pitt D DID indeed score a TD. This is not a matter of what one percieves to be the case. It is a fact, not a matter of interpeatation, or perception.

Mike Pereira, the head of NFL officiating, is on record as point blank saying that was a legitimate TD & the points count, except for the fact that the Ref's in this game handled that last play incompetently.

The point brought up here is, do Commishes make manual adjustments to correctly reflect the proper score of the Pitt Team D or Polamalu IDP TD as even the Head of NFL officiating says it should be scored? Or do Commishes leave it as is & go with what we all know to be an incorrect scoring for the Pitt Team D / Polamalu IDP TD due to the Refs incompetence?

I know it sucks for those in fantasy football whose games were negatively impacted by the Refs improperly negating the Pitt Team TD / Polamalu IDP TD & this particular instance is extremely cut & dried, but if Commishes manually adjust scores here, when does it stop?

Like Riffraff said..."you better be prepared to watch every play of every game to ensure no one else may have had a change"....

Personally, I think you've got to leave it alone & go with the official score, even though we all know the official score as is, to be flawed.

My .02 FWIW.

if your QB takes a knee twice and nets -2 yards rushing and you lose by .1 should that loss count?

Of course it should. This game is in the NFL ARCHIVES now as 11-10 and that is all you need to know.

oh, and what about the TDs that opposing RBs score against your team and there is a blatant hold that doesn't get called?

Edited by keggerz

if your QB takes a knee twice and nets -2 yards rushing and you lose by .1 should that loss count?

Of course it should. This game is in the NFL ARCHIVES now as 11-10 and that is all you need to know.

oh, and what about the TDs that opposing RBs score against your team and there is a blatant hold that doesn't get called?

+1000

GDB FF nerds who don't understand that the game of football wasn't created for their FF gratification.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Very simple, choose a reputable site and make it clear that however that site scores any strange plays is 100% the way it will be scored. There's no other way to do it. Otherwise, there's always going to be some agenda involved.

The only time FF scores should be changed is if the commish failed set the scoring up the right way on the site so games have not been scored as they should have been. Otherwise, leave it alone or prepare to have your league turn into a complete mess because, as others have stated, you will have opened a massive can of worms.

I agree with everything you said here.

However, there is a playoff tie-breaker scenario on margin of victory. It is down the list, but, it has been used before. That is the only thing that I care about regarding this situation, and, because of that, I do wish they would have gotten it right.

I thought of that. But, it still falls under the category of, "does it/should it really count, or do you just want it to?" Instead of winning the tie-breaker on a legitimate play, you snatch it with some freak show play that should really have never taken place.

I think the Chargers were actually lucky to be in that game the way they were. The D could not get off the field. I think the Steelers had three drives of over 8 minutes and the last drive was just same old, same old for this miserable Charger D.

The Chargers ran and moved the ball amazingly well when they had the ball against that #1 D. They never had the ball enough to actually make a difference. You can't blame Rivers for the VJax tip drill he should of caught and Troy made a super-human catch. The other interception was a great call against the right D. You have to give the Steelers credit for doing what they do well... Play defense!

That game was won by defense, and in that category, the Chargers were completely outclassed!

I am actually really surprised at the stupidity of some of the responses by some so called All-Pros :wacko: .

Where the hell do I get my All Pro badge and what does it take to get one? :D The only possible explanation is that some of you blew your way to All Pro status and must be fairly good at it. We can then assume that All Pro means professional balloon work boy, but then people like Skippy and Captain Hook come in and save your ass giving the site an ounce of credibility. Your arguments a little more appealing then my 8 year old niece, but my ten year old nephew would definitely give you a run for money.

Skippy, Riffraff, CaptainHook, Big Socre 1, Detlef thanks for some solid ammo to go back with and make a decent argument. As I said in the first post I am not in favor giving him credit and just wanted to see if there were any angles I was forgetting.

The official scoring has to stand, period. Bad break, bad luck, but to use a cliche, it is what it is. If it isn't in the books as a TD, it isn't a TD.

Scoring injustices happen all the time in IDP leagues... players who made a tackle don't get credited, while another player who didn't make the tackle did. The league by laws should clearly state that the official NFL stats are, well, OFFICIAL. I've seen refs make many bad calls, open that pandora's box, and everything collapses. The by laws should also spell out how (or IF) "later in the week" scoring corrections made by the NFL, and used by MFL as an option should be allowed. I prefer to NOT use the updated stats... when I hit the sack on Monday night with a W, I don't want to wake up on Wednesday to find out I lost on a stat correction. I'll deal with the flip side of that coin and chalk it up to luck... good or bad.

I am actually really surprised at the stupidity of some of the responses by some so called All-Pros :wacko: .

Where the hell do I get my All Pro badge and what does it take to get one? :D The only possible explanation is that some of you blew your way to All Pro status and must be fairly good at it. We can then assume that All Pro means professional balloon work boy, but then people like Skippy and Captain Hook come in and save your ass giving the site an ounce of credibility. Your arguments a little more appealing then my 8 year old niece, but my ten year old nephew would definitely give you a run for money.

Skippy, Riffraff, CaptainHook, Big Socre 1, Detlef thanks for some solid ammo to go back with and make a decent argument. As I said in the first post I am not in favor giving him credit and just wanted to see if there were any angles I was forgetting.

You want serious answers? Ask serious questions.