[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Edwards

detlef

Was the guy I watched last night the same Trent Edwards that some around here were claiming is certainly better to carry as your QB2 than take your chances on the waiver wire?

Gotta say, I was having a hard time feeling the love, especially against a CLE D that has hardly been the iron curtain. Good thing he got that QB sneak. It pushed his FF pts from 7.6 all the way up to 13.6 (which, BTW was his highest total in 4 weeks). That gift made him almost worthy of a start in a 12 team league (he ranked 14th among QBs)

Oh, and here's a short list of waiver fodder QBs who out-performed Edwards in this, his finest points output in a month...

Shawn Hill

Daunte Culpepper

Kerry Collins

Tyler Thigpen

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Joe Flacco

Actually, he had 4 bad games in a row. Does that help?

He outscored Romo significantly over that span, including H2H this past weekend, didn't he? I guess people ought to drop Romo & pick up Culpepper, Hill, or Fitzpatrick per that logic?

Edited by Bronco Billy

He outscored Romo significantly over that span, including H2H this past weekend, didn't he? I guess people ought to drop Romo & pick up Culpepper, Hill, or Fitzpatrick per that logic?

Your argument is that he outscored a QB who wasn't playing because of an injury? Wow, you really got me there. Trent Edwards is a better QB then Tony Romo when Romo is on the bench. Yep, you win. :wacko:

Your argument is that he outscored a QB who wasn't playing because of an injury? Wow, you really got me there. Trent Edwards is a better QB then Tony Romo when Romo is on the bench. Yep, you win. :wacko:

I guess you missed the H2H part this past weekend, huh? And BTW, yeah, Edwards IS a better FF option if Romo is on the bench. How long did it take you to come up with that conclusion, Einstein?

I guess you missed the H2H part this past weekend, huh? And BTW, yeah, Edwards IS a better FF option if Romo is on the bench. How long did it take you to come up with that conclusion, Einstein?

Stick to something you really know nothing about, RB's. :wacko:

He barely outperformed a QB coming back from a 4 week layoff with a broken finger and a new WR against a good defense, while he was playing against Cleveland. You're really reaching here Pony Boy.

Yeah, he had a bad game. I guess that proves your point somehow in your mind?

Is that what you took away from my post? That I was fixating on one game? Did you miss the bit about it being his highest output in 4 weeks?

That brilliant game we all saw, it was actually among his 4 most prolific in terms of FF points.

His finest efforts of the year (as per the rather standard scoring my league uses):

15.04-vs SD (2nd most generous team to FF QBs)

14.06-vs Oak (slightly better than average at 19th most generous)

13.68-vs St. Louis (7th most generous)

13.62 - last night's game v CLE (13th most generous)

So, in reality, that "bad game" he had? That's about as good as it gets for him. If you're counting on points from Edwards, that would be the sort of performance you'd "take to the bank".

None the less, I certainly agree that I would start him over an inactive QB. 100 times out of 100.

Edited by detlef

He barely outperformed a QB coming back from a 4 week layoff with a broken finger and a new WR against a good defense, while he was playing against Cleveland. You're really reaching here Pony Boy.

I'm sure that if Edwards was throwing to Owens, RoyW, Witten, and MBIII that he would have scored as badly as Romo did, too. Lucky for Edwards, he had studs like Parrish, Royal, & Johnson to make sure he outscored Romo.

I'm sure that if Edwards was throwing to Owens, RoyW, Witten, and MBIII that he would have scored as badly as Romo did, too. Lucky for Edwards, he had studs like Parrish, Royal, & Johnson to make sure he outscored Romo.

Did he? You wouldn't have known it based on the fact that he seemed to want to dump it off every single play.

Guys, cmon. YOU are the foolish ones for relying on a 2nd year QB as a fantasy starter. Regardless of how well he played in the beginning, he IS still a 2nd year QB. He is great to own in a dynasty because he WILL be a pretty good QB. Will he ever be a top QB? Probably not, but he will certainly be a QB2.

:wacko:

Guys, cmon. YOU are the foolish ones for relying on a 2nd year QB as a fantasy starter. Regardless of how well he played in the beginning, he IS still a 2nd year QB. He is great to own in a dynasty because he WILL be a pretty good QB. Will he ever be a top QB? Probably not, but he will certainly be a QB2.

What's Matt Ryan? What's Tony Romo? What's Aaron Rodgers? What's Jay Cutler? Guys that are relied on as fantasy starters week in week out that are in their first, second, or partial 3rd year as starters.

I'm not relying on him. This is a follow up to an argument that started because someone with Brees at QB was wondering if it was foolish not to carry a 2nd QB. BB claimed that he was an idiot and mentioned Edwards in particular as a guy that you'd be glad you had if Brees went down. My assertion was that Edwards was no better than any number of guys who were likely to be lingering on the waiver pool, so what was the point of wasting a spot.

Turns out, when you look at the numbers, Edwards is no better, and perhaps worse than the types of guys that will be available in all but 14 or 16 team leagues.

What's Matt Ryan? What's Tony Romo? What's Aaron Rodgers? What's Jay Cutler? Guys that are relied on as fantasy starters week in week out that are in their first, second, or partial 3rd year as starters.

Ryan - Rookie, and clearly an exception. Rookies usually dont flourish.

Romo - He isnt in his 2nd year. As a starter maybe, but hes been in the league longer than 2 years. It takes time to adjust to the speed of the game.

Rodgers - see romo.

Cutler - Why are we talking about guys that arent in their 2nd year?

Being a starter is one thing. Being in the league is another. Being in the league gets you used to the speed of the game at the very least, in practices, preseason, and whatever other limited gametime they might get.

Im not making an arguement why to keep Edwards. I makin an arguement that he cant be expected to be a great QB in year 2.

I'm not relying on him. This is a follow up to an argument that started because someone with Brees at QB was wondering if it was foolish not to carry a 2nd QB. BB claimed that he was an idiot and mentioned Edwards in particular as a guy that you'd be glad you had if Brees went down. My assertion was that Edwards was no better than any number of guys who were likely to be lingering on the waiver pool, so what was the point of wasting a spot.

Turns out, when you look at the numbers, Edwards is no better, and perhaps worse than the types of guys that will be available in all but 14 or 16 team leagues.

Fair enough. The problem with not having another QB, is that, in your example, if Brees went down, there is no guarantee there will be any QBs on the WW. Some leagues have teams tat hoard QBs. Others obviously have limits. There are certainly better options out there than Edwards, especially this year. Next year, Id draft Edwards in the later rounds as a QB2 or 3.

Fair enough. The problem with not having another QB, is that, in your example, if Brees went down, there is no guarantee there will be any QBs on the WW. Some leagues have teams tat hoard QBs. Others obviously have limits. There are certainly better options out there than Edwards, especially this year. Next year, Id draft Edwards in the later rounds as a QB2 or 3.

On an unrelated note, but since you're a Bills homer, who was QB when Moulds/Price had their good season(s)?