[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon marshall vs Asomaugh

LayLow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a good matchup. Asomaugh's worst game was against Roddy White who got him for 50 yards and 5 catches...What does Mini-TO do this week? Will they even be matched up against each other?

He is no where near TO.

Tough call, I say 60 yards on 5 grabs no TD. Royal 100+ and a TD and Graham with a TD.

Edited by MrTed46

As a fan, i hope so, but I don't see that happening. If the CB was short, I can see end-zone jump balls, but he's almost as tall as Marshall.

I bet all three TEs have 2-4 catches this week. Royal goes nuts. Just a guess.

This season I've come to expect the opposite of the norm. :wacko:

If you have another option, other than Marshall, use it. I didn't whe Oakland played Carolina and Smith got me 9 yards, Just sayin!

As a SSmith owner, that was frustrating. But Delhomme was totally off that entire game. Only completed 7 of 27 passes. Cutler will have more success, IMO.

I'd say that neither falter.

Asomugha doesn't move around the field to "shadow" a WR like many other CBs do. He generally lines up on one side (right side I think). Marshall will probably get his catches against Routt and Johnson.

Aso doesn't roam, he stays at his RCB position the whole time. So that doesn't mean Roddy White got 5 catches on Aso. Royal will also have the treat of getting shutdown throughout the game as well.

I'd say that neither falter.

Asomugha doesn't move around the field to "shadow" a WR like many other CBs do. He generally lines up on one side (right side I think). Marshall will probably get his catches against Routt and Johnson.

Everything I'm reading shows him as their LCB.

Edit: Check that... two sites say LCB, one says RCB.

Edit again: Now three say LCB, one RCB. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I haven't watched much Raider football this season so I'm not sure I really noticed where he's lined up.

Either way... Marshall is going to get his catches this week.

Edited by darin3

Everything I'm reading shows him as their LCB.

Edit: Check that... two sites say LCB, one says RCB.

Edit again: Now three say LCB, one RCB. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I haven't watched much Raider football this season so I'm not sure I really noticed where he's lined up.

Either way... Marshall is going to get his catches this week.

Well then I would encourage you to watch one of their games.

I saw something earlier this week that Aso hurt his wrist and might not play. Sorry I don't have a link, but I think I saw it on ESPN. If this is accurate and he's not 100%, that in my opinion would bode well for Marshall and Royal for that matter.

However, lets say Aso does play and is very effective. Wouldn't one have to imagine P.Hillis having another game like he did two weeks ago? With Cutler dumping off a buch of short passes, basically throwing/running plays, which Oak is horrible at defending???

Aso doesn't roam, he stays at his RCB position the whole time. So that doesn't mean Roddy White got 5 catches on Aso. Royal will also have the treat of getting shutdown throughout the game as well.

No offense to anyone, but I'd like to set a few things straight.

At the begining of the season and season past, Asomugha sat on one side, most commonly the right side. This is why Eddie Royal torched Hall so bad week one, because Shannahan kept Royal as far away from Asomugha as possible.

Rob Ryan continued to play his defense like this until after Week 6 against the Saints, then he decided to have Nnamdi exsclusively man up on the opponents "stud receiver," because offensive coordinators were flooding Hall's side with their studs.

After the change, there is a dramatic difference in WR's numbers against the Raiders. Aside from Roddy White's mediocre game (5 Catches, 57 Yards) against Asomugha, he has held every other team's #1 WR to 1 catch each. That's right, 1 catch. Derrick Mason, Jericho Cotchery and Steve Smith, all with a combined total of 12 whopping yards.

What happened last week against Miami? Well Rob Ryan got cute and decided to leave his man coverage and sit in zones so his defenders wouldn't be caught out of position from the Wildcat formation. The zones turned Nnamdi into a mediocre corner at best, and allowed Dolphins WR's to get open.

As for this week? Chances are Asomugha will man up on Marshal, but I could see Ryan keeping him on a side to try and hold both receivers to mediocre games. Ryan's current defense is about 95% man coverage, so there are still zones in his scheme. Regardless, don't expect to see a majority of zones from the Raiders again.

Marshall is big and physical, it will be a great matchup to watch. I'd expect a "Roddy White" type game from hiim, somewhere from 4-6 catches for 40-50 yards or so, and Royal will go off as previously predicted.

At the begining of the season and season past, Asomugha sat on one side, most commonly the right side. This is why Eddie Royal torched Hall so bad week one, because Shannahan kept Royal as far away from Asomugha as possible.

Rob Ryan continued to play his defense like this until after Week 6 against the Saints, then he decided to have Nnamdi exsclusively man up on the opponents "stud receiver," because offensive coordinators were flooding Hall's side with their studs.

After the change, there is a dramatic difference in WR's numbers against the Raiders. Aside from Roddy White's mediocre game (5 Catches, 57 Yards) against Asomugha, he has held every other team's #1 WR to 1 catch each. That's right, 1 catch. Derrick Mason, Jericho Cotchery and Steve Smith, all with a combined total of 12 whopping yards.

What happened last week against Miami? Well Rob Ryan got cute and decided to leave his man coverage and sit in zones so his defenders wouldn't be caught out of position from the Wildcat formation. The zones turned Nnamdi into a mediocre corner at best, and allowed Dolphins WR's to get open.

As for this week? Chances are Asomugha will man up on Marshal, but I could see Ryan keeping him on a side to try and hold both receivers to mediocre games. Ryan's current defense is about 95% man coverage, so there are still zones in his scheme. Regardless, don't expect to see a majority of zones from the Raiders again.

Marshall is big and physical, it will be a great matchup to watch. I'd expect a "Roddy White" type game from hiim, somewhere from 4-6 catches for 40-50 yards or so, and Royal will go off as previously predicted.

So does this...

I would tend to agree with heehawks. Since I HAVE to start Cutler this week I wouldn't start either Marshall or Royal because ASO just shuts down one side of the field and you don't know how cute Shanny will try and get. Game one was great for Cutler owners but they may try and get into this "out coaching" game that will make it a 17-9 game and everybody will suffer.

Sounds good. Im no Raiders expert, but I've heard he roams and stories about how he doesn't. I guess it depends throughout the season and game to game. I get Miami games and he did line up on the right side every time from what I saw.

Sounds good. Im no Raiders expert, but I've heard he roams and stories about how he doesn't. I guess it depends throughout the season and game to game. I get Miami games and he did line up on the right side every time from what I saw.

I'm not trying to say you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard for everyone to keep track of the 31 teams they aren't fans of. And it doesn't help when you have coaching/personnel/player changes every week. :wacko:

Like I said, he sat on the right against Miami because Ryan thought a zone would be a good idea - I wouldn't expect to see it much again.

This seems like the best analysis I've seen. I agree with those numbers and will be benching Marshall.

All I know is Asomugha is one bad dude. I have Andre Johnson on my team, and looking ahead, the Texans play the Raiders in my playoffs-I traded for Dwayne Bowe just so I could bench AJ for that game.

This seems like the best analysis I've seen. I agree with those numbers and will be benching Marshall.

All I know is Asomugha is one bad dude. I have Andre Johnson on my team, and looking ahead, the Texans play the Raiders in my playoffs-I traded for Dwayne Bowe just so I could bench AJ for that game.

:wacko:

I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I live by the "never sit your studs" philosophy. Marshall and Asomugha have gone head to head before and they know each other well. There's a good chance Raider's D will be on the field over 50% of the game, and Asomugha will wear out. Also, the Denver run game isn't looking too stellar; maybe a Denver homer could chime in, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume BM could get a ballpark of 15 looks from Cutler. (Steve Smith was targeted 6 times by Delhome if that helps to add any perspective)

There's all kinds of arguments you can make for either side playing well. Ultimately it will come down to how Ryan calls the plays.

:wacko:

I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I live by the "never sit your studs" philosophy. Marshall and Asomugha have gone head to head before and they know each other well. There's a good chance Raider's D will be on the field over 50% of the game, and Asomugha will wear out. Also, the Denver run game isn't looking too stellar; maybe a Denver homer could chime in, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume BM could get a ballpark of 15 looks from Cutler. (Steve Smith was targeted 6 times by Delhome if that helps to add any perspective)

There's all kinds of arguments you can make for either side playing well. Ultimately it will come down to how Ryan calls the plays.

exactly...I don't care if Asomaugh and Deion in his prime are both covering Marshall...I refuse to sit him, period...