[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving Brings Foodies and Cream of Mushroom Together

driveby

Thanksgiving and the annual debate over that damn green bean casserole with the Durkee’s fried onions on top is coming up fast. Will you offer an urbane alternative like green beans with prosciutto and pine nuts to your recalcitrant relatives, or break down and make it according to the back-of-the-can recipe with Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup this year?

:wacko:

:D

Just yesterday I was discussing the Thanksgiving menu with the fam. I offered to "fancy up" the green bean casserole. To a person, they wanted it with Campbell's soup and Durkee onions, and prepared exactly as the label says. And I'm not ashamed to admit, I think it's pretty tasty that way too.

It's a fine dish as is. However, I am 100% certain that one could make a more delicious version using fresh and real versions of the same things. Saute some nice mushrooms (maybe a variety), add some wine, cream, shallots, and herbs. Reduce and fold in with blanched green beans.

The durkees onion part would be a bit of a hassle. However, if you took some carmelized onions, placed them on top and put a layer of fresh toasted bread crumbs and parm on top of everything, it would be the flat out bomb.

Now, in terms of how much work is involved, some may say it's not worth it. However, for those who enjoy cooking anyway...

None the less, I think to say that one can't make it better by ditching the campbells is a pretty hard argument to defend.

None the less, I think to say that one can't make it better by ditching the campbells is a pretty hard argument to defend.

I don't think anyone's saying it can't be made better, but a dish of the Campbell's/Durkee stuff on the big table with the bird . . . goes down good.

Peace

policy

It's a fine dish as is. However, I am 100% certain that one could make a more delicious version using fresh and real versions of the same things. Saute some nice mushrooms (maybe a variety), add some wine, cream, shallots, and herbs. Reduce and fold in with blanched green beans.

The durkees onion part would be a bit of a hassle. However, if you took some carmelized onions, placed them on top and put a layer of fresh toasted bread crumbs and parm on top of everything, it would be the flat out bomb.

Now, in terms of how much work is involved, some may say it's not worth it. However, for those who enjoy cooking anyway...

My wife is always in charge of this dish for family gatherings, but I think we'll try adding some fresh sauted shrooms & herbs this year - thx for the suggestion det! :wacko:

I made one the other night that was alittle different.

1 can of cream of mushroom

1 block of cream cheese

2 cans of green beans

and some of the french fried onions

I put the soup and cream cheese in a pan on med heat until the cheese and soup mixed. Added the green beans and put into a casserole dish with pam in the bottom. Baked in the oven at 350 until it was hot all the way through and the top was slightly browning. Then put the french fried onions on and put it back in the oven until the onions browned a little.

ETA: I drained the green beans

Edited by fingfootball

I don't think anyone's saying it can't be made better, but a dish of the Campbell's/Durkee stuff on the big table with the bird . . . goes down good.

Peace

policy

Really?

classic example of "if it ain't broke...."

that chit is da bomb exactly as-is.

Watched "Good Eats" the other night and he was kinda knockin' the Campbell's dish. Devoted an entire show to making it homemade. My thoughts were, why mess with a good thing?

It sure doesn't seem that way. I take from these comments that it's as good as it can be as is. I'm simply saying that's not likely true.

well you're a chef so of course you're going to think that way. it would be akin to malpractice for you to say a mundane recipe of prepackaged ingredients can't be improved upon. but some of the rest of us have the benefit of looking at things like this from a more pragmatic and utilitarian perspective. I don't doubt that you could make something better, but I would be willing to bet that a significant majority of people who try to improve on the durkees recipe theme simply don't, and even those who do probably spent more time doing so than it was worth. hence, the "if it ain't broke" sentiment.

Edited by Azazello1313

well you're a chef so of course you're going to think that way. it would be akin to malpractice for you to say a mundane recipe of prepackaged ingredients can't be improved upon. but some of the rest of us have the benefit of looking at things like this from a more pragmatic and utilitarian perspective. I don't doubt that you could make something better, but I would be willing to bet that a significant majority of people who try to improve on the durkees recipe theme simply don't, and even those who do probably spent more time doing so than it was worth. hence, the "if it ain't broke" sentiment.

Well, I read the article and the guy was referencing an accomplished chef friend of his who advocated such short cuts. Frankly, I don't have a huge problem with it either. Mind you, I feel I have an ethical requirement to my customer to actually make their food rather than just heat up pre-made products. However, that's at work. I recall being at a friends cabin one winter when i was called upon to make sense of a cupboard full of random cans and a fridge full of the remains of ingredients left from the meals each person made during the weekend. A whitetrasherole was made and I was somewhat proud of my efforts.

None the less, if the tread was actually intended to inspire debate and not simply to give everyone an excuse to take pride in "cooking" this version of the casserole, then I felt that my side of the argument needed some run.

I'll also remind you that the act of cooking in and of itself can be fun (as I'm sure you'll agree), especially on special occasions. For me, Thanksgiving has become more of a foodie holiday than anything else. It's a great time of year for food and, now that I don't live near most of my family, my wife and I have taken to spending it with other couples in the industry. So it's a celebration of really cool dishes and delicious wines.

It sure doesn't seem that way. I take from these comments that it's as good as it can be as is. I'm simply saying that's not likely true.

Don't forget there's the emotional attachment, too. I'm on chow.com's mailing list (I know, a sore spot, but I just use the site, not the forums), and they sent me a recipe for celery root gratin with a walnut-thyme streusel topping. I'm sure celery root gratin with a walnut-thyme streusel, well executed, is very tasty indeed. But there's a part of me that just wants my mom's twice-baked potatoes, you know?

I love cooking, lemme make that clear. I think that new dishes should always be welcomed at the big table, and all the old favorites can be made much better just by good execution and seasoning. But I also think there is some value in having The Same Old Thing.

Peace

policy

Don't forget there's the emotional attachment, too. I'm on chow.com's mailing list (I know, a sore spot, but I just use the site, not the forums), and they sent me a recipe for celery root gratin with a walnut-thyme streusel topping. I'm sure celery root gratin with a walnut-thyme streusel, well executed, is very tasty indeed. But there's a part of me that just wants my mom's twice-baked potatoes, you know?

I love cooking, lemme make that clear. I think that new dishes should always be welcomed at the big table, and all the old favorites can be made much better just by good execution and seasoning. But I also think there is some value in having The Same Old Thing.

Peace

policy

I think I've given you guys the impression that I have a bigger problem with the old-school way of making this dish than I do. Honestly, I've eaten that dish, cooked that way, for most of my life. It's great. I also typically prefer very simple foods to celery root gratin with walnut-thyme streusal 9 times out of 10.

I've said it before. I could eat nothing but carnitas tacos every single day for the rest of my life. I'm really nearly certain of this. Additionally, I've known more dishes that have been ruined by being "dressed up" than I care to remember. Always some hack who lacks true creativity with some half-cocked idea to update something that doesn't need updating. Caesar salads are a rather common victim of this highly ill-advised move.

However, reconstructing this green bean casserole by truly making it from scratch doesn't qualify, IMO, as not leaving well enough alone. It's simply bringing a bit more integrity to one's cooking. That doesn't mean that I would turn my nose up at the Campbells version, I haven't so far. The irony, of course, is how old is old school? Many "updated" renditions of what we deem classic dishes actually embrace an attitude towards food that predates Campbells, Durkee, Birdseye, or any of the prepared foods that dictated American cuisine from the past century.

After all, you've got a chef lurking around here. What did you expect me to say?

On a related note, when going over next Thursday's menu, I asked the family if they'd prefer a chestnut stuffing, cornbread stuffing, or wild rice and mushroom stuffing. Their answer. . . .

"Pepperidge Farms please!"

On a related note, when going over next Thursday's menu, I asked the family if they'd prefer a chestnut stuffing, cornbread stuffing, or wild rice and mushroom stuffing. Their answer. . . .

"Pepperidge Farms please!"

They don't deserve you.

I'm going to take a stab a det's suggestion. I went to the farmer's market this weekend and got (amongst other things) some fresh-churned butter, fresh scallions, a fresh "candy" onion, and fresh green beans. I picked up some oyster, Athenaake, and baby 'bella mushrooms, and I think I'll saute those and the scallions in the butter. Make a cream sauce and blanch the green beans, put it all together and put caramelized onions and breadcrumbs on top. Should be decent if I execute well; I'll keep you guys posted.

Peace

policy

I'm going to take a stab a det's suggestion. I went to the farmer's market this weekend and got (amongst other things) some fresh-churned butter, fresh scallions, a fresh "candy" onion, and fresh green beans. I picked up some oyster, Athenaake, and baby 'bella mushrooms, and I think I'll saute those and the scallions in the butter. Make a cream sauce and blanch the green beans, put it all together and put caramelized onions and breadcrumbs on top. Should be decent if I execute well; I'll keep you guys posted.

Peace

policy

There you go! Nicely done. :wacko: