[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A play-off tie breaker idea I've been kicking around

detlef

This rule would PISS me off. Who cares if he is the higher seed? If I was clawing and scratching the entire year to get a wild card spot then tied, but lost to a HIGHER SEED because of a tie? Sorry but that rule just doesn't fly with me. Not sure how to resolve the playoff tie-breaker but this definitely is not the answer.

I figured somebody would strongly object. I shouldn't have posted probably. This topic comes up every year and I always post what I do. And every time, somebody not only doesn't like the rule, it would piss them off, or I'm an idiot for having this rule, or whatever. Oh well. Ya can't please everybody I guess.

So you scratched and clawed all year, but then you tie in a playoff game and then your "insert tiebreaker here" either pans out for you or it doesn't.

To me it really doesn't matter what the tiebreak is. It is a super rare thing so just establish some rule and go on living.

I commish 2 leagues. I chose to establish a really simple rule, probably after thinking about it for 10 minutes, and to be honest with ya, nobody has ever complained (or really even questioned it). Every season when the playoffs start, I restate the rule in a post on the league website in case anybody forgot.

A tie in a playoff game has happened once in 18 years in my main league and never in 16 years the other. So one tie in 34 FFB seasons. And in both we use whole points (And it was my team that lost that one time and it didn't piss me off any more than if we had used QB yardage or whatever for a tiebreak - I should have scored 1 more point dammit!). If you use fractional points then you might go 100 years without it happening. I just don't understand why it makes such a difference to anybody what the tiebreak is, as long as it's in the rules and agreed to before the season starts, or at least before the playoffs start.

Just my 2 cents.

I figured somebody would strongly object. I shouldn't have posted probably. This topic comes up every year and I always post what I do. And every time, somebody not only doesn't like the rule, it would piss them off, or I'm an idiot for having this rule, or whatever. Oh well. Ya can't please everybody I guess.

So you scratched and clawed all year, but then you tie in a playoff game and then your "insert tiebreaker here" either pans out for you or it doesn't.

To me it really doesn't matter what the tiebreak is. It is a super rare thing so just establish some rule and go on living.

I commish 2 leagues. I chose to establish a really simple rule, probably after thinking about it for 10 minutes, and to be honest with ya, nobody has ever complained (or really even questioned it). Every season when the playoffs start, I restate the rule in a post on the league website in case anybody forgot.

A tie in a playoff game has happened once in 18 years in my main league and never in 16 years the other. So one tie in 34 FFB seasons. And in both we use whole points (And it was my team that lost that one time and it didn't piss me off any more than if we had used QB yardage or whatever for a tiebreak - I should have scored 1 more point dammit!). If you use fractional points then you might go 100 years without it happening. I just don't understand why it makes such a difference to anybody what the tiebreak is, as long as it's in the rules and agreed to before the season starts, or at least before the playoffs start.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, FWIW, you're not the only one here who decides it that way. However, I completely agree with taz. Nobody should be given free points going into a play-off game.

Nobody should be given free points going into a play-off game.

Why?

In the NFL, the equivalent of "free points" is home field advantage. That is, the team with the best record gets to host the game. In Vegas, that edge is enough that it is usually worth 3 points to the spread.

In fantasy football, you fight all year long to get the best record possible, and there is no advantage at all come playoff time. Why not award the team with the better record the edge, similar to the way the NFL awards the better team a home game?

Haven't had to use these in 16 years of my local but here's what's in our rules.

Tiebreakers for playoff games are as follows:

1) Number of TD's scored by starters.

2) Number of combined rush/receive yards by starters.

3) Number of Passing yards by starters.

4) Bench points

5) Beloved Coin Flip!

they are on your bench for a reason, IMO bench players have no place in deciding who wins a game...if it is for the SB going to total points scored for the year would be a better tie breaker, imo but then again I see no reason why if you are using decimal scoring that if teams tie they just tie and split the pot

in my local, I have it set up that a teams bench scoring would break the tie because it's close anyways and the owner with the better team that week should win anyways...

in a sense, it's like having someone come off the bench and make a difference if the opportunity presents itself...

I couldn't think of a better way to break a tie...

We have each team designate 3 players from their roster and rank them 1 to 3. Doesn't matter the position. We compare the highest ranked player to each other. If that happens to end in a tie as well (which almost never will with decimal scoring either) then we go to the 2nd ranked player, etc...

That way if a guy likes his WR better than his QB great. Rank him 1st.

Why?

In the NFL, the equivalent of "free points" is home field advantage. That is, the team with the best record gets to host the game. In Vegas, that edge is enough that it is usually worth 3 points to the spread.

In fantasy football, you fight all year long to get the best record possible, and there is no advantage at all come playoff time. Why not award the team with the better record the edge, similar to the way the NFL awards the better team a home game?

The "free points" you speak of that NFL teams get are apparent free points. Free points that book makers assign to the home team to encourage equal betting on both sides of the wager. However, each team plays by the exact same rules and neither team is given the benefit of the doubt in case of a tie.

That is a huge difference. As I mentioned earlier, I like the idea taz offered (or at least a version of it) because it gives the home team an apparent advantage but not an out-right gift. The home team is given the opportunity to choose a tie breaker that they feel, prior to the game, will be to their advantage. However, that choice could also bite them in the ass.