[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Problem with Parm

SheikYerbuti

So I made an eggplant parm for dinner last night and had a recurring problem that I can't solve. This goes for chicken parm as well. I peeled and sliced the eggplant, breaded it using a 3 step breading process (flour, egg wash, 1/2 Italian bread crumbs and 1/2 panko), and fried it. Drained well and had beautiful, golden brown crispy eggplant slices. Then after constructing the parm with cheese and sauce layers and giving it 20 minutes in the oven, the gorgeous crispy crust on the eggplant is mushy.

How do I make a parm where the breading stays crispy??

So I made an eggplant parm for dinner last night and had a recurring problem that I can't solve. This goes for chicken parm as well. I peeled and sliced the eggplant, breaded it using a 3 step breading process (flour, egg wash, 1/2 Italian bread crumbs and 1/2 panko), and fried it. Drained well and had beautiful, golden brown crispy eggplant slices. Then after constructing the parm with cheese and sauce layers and giving it 20 minutes in the oven, the gorgeous crispy crust on the eggplant is mushy.

How do I make a parm where the breading stays crispy??

Sheik,

I do a "deconstructed eggplant parm"

Cook the eggplant just like you said (or use 100% panko).

Make a nice marinara sauce and a frico (fried cheese wafer).

Serve all three components separately and mix take a piece of each with each bite.

You don't get the stringy cheese but I think the crispy textures with the soft cooked eggplant makes up for that.

Sheik,

I do a "deconstructed eggplant parm"

Cook the eggplant just like you said (or use 100% panko).

Make a nice marinara sauce and a frico (fried cheese wafer).

Serve all three components separately and mix take a piece of each with each bite.

You don't get the stringy cheese but I think the crispy textures with the soft cooked eggplant makes up for that.

I was going to suggest the same thing, provided you are prepared to sacrifice the traditional nature of the dish.

or.... have warm your sau(e. spoon it on the done (hi(ken, (heese on top...under the broiler. the sau(e shouldn't have time to make the (hi(ken soggy.

Do you have a broken key on your (omputer?