[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fairest way to break a 3 way tie

Rockerbraves

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using any kind of point differential to break the tie is an absolutely laughable idea. There is absolutely no reason to encourage running up the score. Rewarding a team for winning by 50 and punishing the other for winning by 40 is just idiotic.

Hell, why even have a W-L record. Let's just have a season point differential.

"The Longhorns come into today +745 and the Sooners come in +680, should be a brutal battle as the Sooners look to make up ground."

:wacko:

Edited by Jody Bo

Either way you slice it OU owns every tiebreaker possible against Texas in a 3 way tie scenerio. Stupid horn fans want to focus on a game 2 months ago in Dallas, and just want to dismiss a game a few weeks ago in Lubbock. Bottom line is Texas needs OU to win to even give them any shot whatsoever of going, why should a OU win on the road against the #12 team help Texas more than OU. It doesnt, nor should it. The polls see OU as the better team, if OU beat Okie St, the computers will concur. Texas fans should be focusing their effort on Baylor.

Let me make this very clear from the start... I'm not arguing for one side or the other. In fact, I don't even like Texas but...

How can anyone simply dismiss the idea of a game either won or lost in a head-to-head match-up? The current system in college football is supposed to reward winning percentage, sos, quality wins/losses, and to a degree how well you're playing at the end of the year(entirely subjective). If nothing else OU/Texas was a quality win for UT and a quality loss for OU. What it really was was an opportunity to demonstrate conference superiority and give one team a leg up. As a matter of fact, I recall some remarks on this very board mentioning the fact that now Texas will have to lose twice in order for OU to win the South. Of course, TT's great year has changed that idea. And regardless of the stats, UT got the win and that's the bottom line in football. My problem with the idea of trying to dismiss an early season loss in this case is simple. Quit using the fact that OU's lone loss was to a highly ranked opponent then turn around and tell us that that loss shouldn't even be considered because it was two months ago. I believe OU is the better team now and that they were in Dallas for most of the game but they pissed it away down the stretch and if that hurts them in the long run then sobeit.

As an aside:

The NFL has very clearly written rules that head-to-head is the number one tie breaker in nearly every scenario involving seeding teams and teams making the playoffs. It doesn't matter if the game took place in week one or week seventeen, head-to-head is head-to-head. As fans we don't even hesitate to call on this rule when attempting to determine playoff teams or seeding when it's close yet with the college game, because it's not written down I suppose, we choose to call on this idea when it suits us and dismiss it when it doesn't. Rather humorous. Just thinking out loud.

I don't dismiss Texas' win. But...Texas beat OU beat TT beat Texas. And as of right now, they all have one loss. If there were a playoff system in place, OU and Texas would definitely make an 8-team playoff...TT would be on the bubble. But there's no playoff so somebody gets screwed. If I'm the Big 12, I definitely put the highest ranked BCS team into the conference championship because I want my conference to have a shot at the NC. In addition, if they played on a neutral site right now, OU would be favored over Texas. OU might even be favored at Texas. OU appears to be the stronger team. It doesn't mean they are and it's not fair, but until there's a playoff...

I find it hilarious that OU fans are doing their best to put down Texas. Any shot against Texas is a shot in the foot. Texas beat OU , nothing else needs to be said. Both have 1 loss and H2H Texas showed up to be the better team. OU has to rely on Tech to beat Baylor today or they are eliminated from a 3 way scenario, that alone is proof enough for me that Texas should be heading for the Big 12 Title game.

USC and Oregon St are in the same mess and no one will be complaining if the Beavers win today and win the Pac 10 . USC had their chance JUST LIKE OU , and LOST ! ! If results on the field don't matter, then why play the game in the first place. Texas and Oregon St both EARNED the right to win the conference, don't let some fools try to say otherwise.

I find it hilarious that OU fans are doing their best to put down Texas. Any shot against Texas is a shot in the foot. Texas beat OU , nothing else needs to be said. Both have 1 loss and H2H Texas showed up to be the better team. OU has to rely on Tech to beat Baylor today or they are eliminated from a 3 way scenario, that alone is proof enough for me that Texas should be heading for the Big 12 Title game.

USC and Oregon St are in the same mess and no one will be complaining if the Beavers win today and win the Pac 10 . USC had their chance JUST LIKE OU , and LOST ! ! If results on the field don't matter, then why play the game in the first place. Texas and Oregon St both EARNED the right to win the conference, don't let some fools try to say otherwise.

However, if TT defeats Baylor, doesn't Texas have to hope that Oklahoma defeats Ok St? Otherwise, they're in a head to head with TT and Texas would be eliminated.

However, if TT defeats Baylor, doesn't Texas have to hope that Oklahoma defeats Ok St? Otherwise, they're in a head to head with TT and Texas would be eliminated.

Exactly. And I don't know whether to think this stuff is fun as hell or just an absolute mess.

My only comment is that no matter what happens, season in and season out, you assert that OU is the best team in the country.

Of course you dont want to answer my question. And that simply isnt true. I dont agree OU is always best. But this year its hard to argue with what they have done. Losing 1 game is the only way there is any argument to their dominance. But that loss was in Texas, against the #2 team in the country. And OU just destroyed the same team Texas only loss was to, Texas Tech. Head to Head Texas should go, but we dont have head to head, we have a 3 way tie, and in this scenerio, you cant dismiss any of the 3 teams, and need to determine the winner amongst these 3, and OU imo is the best in this scenerio.

Of course you dont want to answer my question. And that simply isnt true. I dont agree OU is always best. But this year its hard to argue with what they have done. Losing 1 game is the only way there is any argument to their dominance. But that loss was in Texas, against the #2 team in the country. And OU just destroyed the same team Texas only loss was to, Texas Tech. Head to Head Texas should go, but we dont have head to head, we have a 3 way tie, and in this scenerio, you cant dismiss any of the 3 teams, and need to determine the winner amongst these 3, and OU imo is the best in this scenerio.

I believe Florida can beat ANY team in the country. They have great team speed, many offensive weapons, they have the best turnover ratio in the country, a strong defense, and a coach who knows how to get a team ready for big games. Of course, I am realistic. I believe OU is also a great team. I believe if they played Texas again, they would win. They appear that strong. This is why I would like Florida to have the opportunity to play them. Of course, I also believe that Texas - Florida and USC - Florida would be a good game.

Did I answer your question?

LMFAO

Sarge, give it a rest. This is the same crap we've heard the last 4 years and what happened ?

Boise St, USC and West Virginia happened :D

How can anyone possibly assert OU is the best team in the country when they already showed Texas was better on a neutral field. Simply ignorant :wacko:

Let's all hope Baylor frees us from another NC Game disappointment. Free the way for USC vs Florida...........PLEASE ! !

Edited by theeohiostate

How can anyone possibly assert OU is the best team in the country when they already showed Texas was better on a neutral field. Simply ignorant :wacko:

The Harris Poll, the USA Today Poll, and two of the computers say Oklahoma is better than Texas. :D

Well Tech isnt doing its part to keep this a 3 way tie, so Texas looks like they are headed to the Big 12 Champ game, and rightfully so in a two way tie with OU.

THis sucks, lose in Texas to Texas, and no shot at a NC, when the other 2 teams playing in that game, will also have 1 loss. Tell me how FLA deserves it more. They didnt beat anyone.

Well Tech isnt doing its part to keep this a 3 way tie, so Texas looks like they are headed to the Big 12 Champ game, and rightfully so in a two way tie with OU.

THis sucks, lose in Texas to Texas, and no shot at a NC, when the other 2 teams playing in that game, will also have 1 loss. Tell me how FLA deserves it more. They didnt beat anyone.

Look at it this way...you'll be able to say that OU is the best team in the country, even though they didn't win their conference. You will be able to take potshots at Texas and the Florida-Alabama winner for all time, safe in the knowledge that OU, again, was the best team in the country.

Look at it this way...you'll be able to say that OU is the best team in the country, even though they didn't win their conference. You will be able to take potshots at Texas and the Florida-Alabama winner for all time, safe in the knowledge that OU, again, was the best team in the country.

And FLA will have an opportunity if they are good enough to get it done, to win a Championship without having to play the Sooners. Congrats again.... You are such a tool.

The SEC does it right, going to a H2H decision when two teams are within 5 slots of each other. It should be decided on the field, thus Texas should be in. Watching Alabama and Florida today I am convinced that these two are the best in the country with USC and then Texas - Oklahoma right behind them. Alabama, Florida and SC all have a significant advantage over Oklahoma on the defensive side and special teams. Obviously, the SEC championship will eliminate either Bama or Florida.

IMO, the best NC game would be Florida vs. USC.

The SEC does it right, going to a H2H decision when two teams are within 5 slots of each other. It should be decided on the field, thus Texas should be in. Watching Alabama and Florida today I am convinced that these two are the best in the country with USC and then Texas - Oklahoma right behind them. Alabama, Florida and SC all have a significant advantage over Oklahoma on the defensive side and special teams. Obviously, the SEC championship will eliminate either Bama or Florida.

IMO, the best NC game would be Florida vs. USC.

Big 12 uses H2H too, but all of the Big 12 losses have come at the hands of the other one loss teams.