[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Burress shoots himself in the leg

hooknladder

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11292008/sport..._rap_141431.htm

Post broke the story that he does NOT have a permit to cary a weapon in the city...

Paging Al Davis, please pick up the white courtesy phone...Plax might never wear Giants blue again. Even the blogs are starting to say it, granted this wasn't posted by Garafalo but...http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/11...f.html#comments

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more I am convinced that the majority of professional athletes lack common sense.

I read stories all the time about Bay Area football players who grew up living the gang life and their only opportunity was football.

I doubt you can just let that past go, even when you do make it into the NFL.

So I would say for some, it's just a tragically engraved part of their culture. And for others, well they're just posers who want to look like gangsters and as you put it, lack common sense.

As to which Plax is? I don't know enough about him. I do know he has attitude problems, and his wife filed a temporary restraining order against him several years ago. FWIW.

I read stories all the time about Bay Area football players who grew up living the gang life and their only opportunity was football.

Hate to open this can of worms but I have to call bullpoopy. These guys for the most part all went to major colleges on full rides. The "gang life" was behind them before they got into the league.

You choose to rise above things in life or you don't. :wacko:

So I would say for some, it's just a tragically engraved part of their culture. And for others, well they're just posers who want to look like gangsters and as you put it, lack common sense.

As to which Plax is? I don't know enough about him. I do know he has attitude problems, and his wife filed a temporary restraining order against him several years ago. FWIW.

These guys have enough money where they don't have to put themselves in harms way. Yet they display their ignorance and lack of common sense at every turn. It also demonstrates that they don't truely appreciate the fact that they have "made it" ... probably because they didn't have to do anything other than be good at football.

I'm sorry, but this Skid Mark has been screwing me all season long. Someone posted earlier that if charged and convicted he faces a minimum of 3.5 years.

That sounds like an awful lot for carrying a concealed weapon. With his bankroll i doubt he'll do any time, but I do think he should need to spend some time in the clink for douching so many of us this year. :wacko:

Edited by John Crapper

I'm sorry, but this Skid Mark has been screwing me all season long. Someone posted earlier that if charged and convicted he faces a minimum of 3.5 years.

That sounds like an awful lot for carrying a concealed weapon. With his bankroll i doubt he'll do any time, but I do think he should need to spend some time in the clink for douching so many of us this year. :wacko:

Not true at all.

lol if Pacman hasnt been hit by the lifetime ban stick yet

Duh! Pac Man hasn't shot himself ...... yet.

At least Pac Man targeted his stupidity against other people.....Plax is much more of a threat to the image of the NFL, because he represents that there are thugs in the NFL that are so stupid they might just shoot themselves

:wacko:

Seriously, I think there is more to this story that will make it even more entertaining. "Something" made that gun go off, and I think the true comedy behind this tragedy will be what made it go off.

From Rotoworld.com

'Burress was reportedly trying to unload bullets from his gun on the way into the LQ Nightclub in midtown Manhattan.'

Guess he can't walk and unload at the same time... :D

Sounds like more spaghetti thrown onto the wall to see if it will stick. This sounds like PR work to hide some other stupid story about how the gun went off.

:D "So, Mr. Burress, how exactly did the gun go off?"

:wacko: "Well, I couldn't practice Friday due to injury, so I decided the best way to deal with the injury was to go to the club. To ensure that my therapy session at the club didn't get disturbed, I thought I should take my gun with me, just in case Athenate, you know? So on the way to the club, to rehab my injury, I decided to take the bullets out of my gun, because you know a gun with bullets could be dangerous."

:D "Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the gun, if you take the bullets out? I mean, why even take the gun if you weren't going to have any bullets in it?"

:D " :D "

lol if Pacman hasnt been hit by the lifetime ban stick yet Plax has a long way to go. I doubt seriously they would release him when someone would give something for him in a trade. I'm sure Oakland would love to have his services next year, and like everyone else on that team probably over pay to get him.

That's the thing, Pacman should have been banned a LONG time ago.

I'm not a defender of stoopid things, but given that Sean Taylor ended up dead for basically being targetted because he was in the NFL all of these "WHY DO YOU NEED TO CARRY A GUN!! Have to agree here!!!" [/atomic] people really might want to consider the full context.

Yes, it sucks but his reality is that he (and I am very sure other NFL players) feel it is in their best interests to pack heat these days when in public. Just sayin' and I'm not surprised.

I dont think Taylor was "targeted" because he was an NFL player. I think he was targeted because he was rich and one of the hoods who was in on it had been in ST's place before and knew he had nice stuff in there(I am assuming). I think those clowns probably thought he was out of town and shot him out of surprise/panic as much as anything else. If they went there to kill him, I would think they would have hit him in the chest or head. Anyways, that is really besides the point. Had Taylor had a gun at home and used it to defend himself, there would be no issue. Its very likely he wasnt legal to own a firearm because he got in trouble for waving one in someone's face earlier in his life. Sort of ironic in that sense, no? Anyways, there is a big difference between needing a gun to protect yourself at home and bringing one with you somewhere you dont need to go.

I will cut Burress no slack for willingly going somewhere he felt he may need a weapon and then shooting himself with it. If he stays home that night, we're not talking about any of this...

Sean Taylor wasn't in public! Have a gun at home? No problem. Get a conceal permit and carry on the streets? No problem.

Bring your gun out for a night of clubbing = Big problem!

Sorry but I have no sympathy for this idiot.

+1. This is basically what I was trying to say above ^

These guys have enough money where they don't have to put themselves in harms way. Yet they display their ignorance and lack of common sense at every turn. It also demonstrates that they don't truely appreciate the fact that they have "made it" ... probably because they didn't have to do anything other than be good at football.

Exactly. These guys are blessed with the ability to live the dream yet so many of them choose to make it a nightmare.

Sounds like more spaghetti thrown onto the wall to see if it will stick. This sounds like PR work to hide some other stupid story about how the gun went off.

:D "So, Mr. Burress, how exactly did the gun go off?"

:wacko: "Well, I couldn't practice Friday due to injury, so I decided the best way to deal with the injury was to go to the club. To ensure that my therapy session at the club didn't get disturbed, I thought I should take my gun with me, just in case Athenate, you know? So on the way to the club, to rehab my injury, I decided to take the bullets out of my gun, because you know a gun with bullets could be dangerous."

:D"Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the gun, if you take the bullets out? I mean, why even take the gun if you weren't going to have any bullets in it?"

:D " :D "

Agreed.

There is a saying that goes something like "if you're gonna pull it, you better use it." Carrying an unloaded gun into that kind of situation would be even more idiotic than carrying a loaded gun. I dont buy that he was unloading it at all. I believe he is a dipchit that doesnt know how to properly handle a gun and shot himself.

If I thought I needed a gun to protect myself somewhere, I would do my best to avoid that spot. If someone breaks into my home, they are very likely to meet up with the business end of either my 12 guage or my 9mm (depending on what I get to first or which part of the house we're in). I certainly dont load up either weapon and go places I fear I may need to use them, though, or bring them with me to show off. Makes no sense.

Burress has shown time and again he has an aversion to authority and will do what he wants. That makes for a dangerous individual and I think the NFL would do well to start giving lifetime bans to these fools that are mixed up in guns/gangs/violence.

I tread there is metal detector going in to the club.

Also this

Investigators said the incident took place in a small alcove between the foot of the stairs, which lead down from the entrance on Lexington Avenue, and the VIP room, which is near an elevator bank. The VIP room is roughly 30 feet by 12 feet, with a glass wall that separates it from the rest of the club, which is a horseshoe-shaped room with a bar. Metal detectors were situated near the foot of the stairs.

It was unclear what led to the gun’s discharge. There were no reports of any fights inside the club before the shooting. The police did not say whether any charges would be filed, but they noted that felony charges were possible if a person possessed a loaded, unlicensed handgun in a place other than his residence or business. It was not known if he had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Under the league’s personal-conduct policy, violations of local gun laws can result in a player’s suspension.

Edited by Randall

Not true at all.

:wacko:

Plaxico Burress is expected to be charged with criminal possession of a weapon after shooting himself in the thigh Friday night. The felony chage results in a mandatory 3.5 year prison sentence.

New York has the toughest penalties in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun.

I'm not a defender of stoopid things, but given that Sean Taylor ended up dead for basically being targetted because he was in the NFL all of these "WHY DO YOU NEED TO CARRY A GUN!! Have to agree here!!!" [/atomic] people really might want to consider the full context.

Yes, it sucks but his reality is that he (and I am very sure other NFL players) feel it is in their best interests to pack heat these days when in public. Just sayin' and I'm not surprised.

First thing is Sean Taylor was shot in his home , not out at a club. If you want to protect your home fine, but that does not give you the right to carry a concealed weapon out in public where you can injure others.

Not true at all.

Pierce could be nailed as an accesorry to any charges.

Pierce, Burress, both in trouble with police

Plaxico Burress isn’t the only one in trouble after Friday night’s shooting. Antonio Pierce is in hot water, too.

Pierce was not only with Burress when the receiver shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan night club Friday night, he apparently tried to hide the gun after the incident, the Daily News has learned. In fact, Pierce’s attorney was frantically trying to save him from criminal charges late last night, the News is reporting.

Burress, meanwhile, is expected to be arrested on felony weapons charges sometime in the next few days, according to sources. He could face up to five years in prison if he’s eventually convicted. Carrying an illegal, concealed weapon in New York also carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 ½ years.

For the full story, you’re going to want to click right here and read the best and most comprehensive account of the Friday night shooting and its ramifications, as put together by Team Daily News.

Our reporting confirms a lot of what I told you earlier, with some new and very surprising details. Here are a couple of the latest gems:

• Burress was drinking at the nightclub, and the gun apparently slipped down his pants leg and went off accidentally. He apparently does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in New York. He had a license in Florida, but that expired in May and wouldn’t have been recognized here anyway.

• Burress told Pierce (and others at the club) not to call 911 after he was shot, and he didn’t go to the hospital for two hours, until 2 a.m. when his wife, Tiffany, and a friend finally took him to New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

• Pierce agreed to cooperate with police if they agreed not to immediately charge him with a crime. Cops are still planning to get a warrant to search Pierce’s car.

Despite his role in the incident, Pierce will apparently start and play in today’s game against the Washington Redskins. He made the trip with the team on Saturday and according to a team spokesman he was at the team hotel. The spokesman also said that no suspensions or benchings were planned as a result of the Burress shooting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...in-trouble.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11292008/sport..._rap_141431.htm

Post broke the story that he does NOT have a permit to cary a weapon in the city...

What a shocker. :wacko:

I simply don't understand why these idiots in the NFL carry guns ... and into night clubs of all places.

I COMPLETELY understand why a multi-millionaire would want to keep a gun (or a couple of guns) at home for protection. But if you feel the need to bring a piece to the club for protection, you need to find a new place to hang out. I'm assuming that Plax doesn't pack heat when he goes to Best Buy or Home Depot. Then again, he's a complete moran, so who knows.

Edited by Bill Swerski

• 2 weeks later...