[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas gets hosed by the computer

theeohiostate

And how do I defend OU going over UT

UT 33

TT 39

TT 21

OU 65

That should about do it..............

LOL.

You clowns keep talking about Tech, when Tech has nothing to do with Texas and OU.

Texas beat OU 45-35

Please defend how OU deserves it over Texas...........and stop defending it with that same 'ol BS.

Just admit a gliche in the software program (probably developed) by an ex-OU dropout didn't factor in the H2H game between the 2.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure if the Big 12 used the SEC tie-breaker Texas would have gotten the nod over Oklahoma.

That is correct.

2 Highest remaining BCS rated teams go H2H.

Texas would have made it, if their conference wasn't ran by a bunch of WAC-imitation administrators.

FWIW

SEC Tie-breaker

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)

Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.

Record of the tied teams within the division.

Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.

Overall record vs. non-division teams.

Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.

Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

That is correct.

2 Highest remaining BCS rated teams go H2H.

Texas would have made it, if their conference wasn't ran by a bunch of WAC-imitation administrators.

yer getting a little pathetic over there big Mike - yer anti-Sarge hate is pretty transparent in this sudden Texas love-fest you have. The system is broken, and a STRONG case can be made for OU over UT - yes HH goes to UT but that is one piece of the puzzle. The Sooner overall resume is much much stronger - and frankly I like the fact that OU gets the nod over UT because they went out and actually played a good non-conference slate while UTplayed a bunch of cupcakes. This is a beauty contest and OU passes the eye test as well- they are playing some great football

Tough break but since you are a Big 10 homer GET THE F over it already -

there will be alot of teams that will be left wondering what if besides UT - what if Bama plays FLA down to the wire in a great game? I don't think anyone wants USC - but as a Pac 10 guy I have no problem with OU playing Bama/FLA winner for all the marbles- about as good as we can ask for under this phucked up system.

yer getting a little pathetic over there big Mike - yer anti-Sarge hate is pretty transparent in this sudden Texas love-fest you have. The system is broken, and a STRONG case can be made for OU over UT - yes HH goes to UT but that is one piece of the puzzle. The Sooner overall resume is much much stronger - and frankly I like the fact that OU gets the nod over UT because they went out and actually played a good non-conference slate while UTplayed a bunch of cupcakes. This is a beauty contest and OU passes the eye test as well- they are playing some great football

there will be alot of teams that will be left wondering what if besides UT - what if Bama plays FLA down to the wire in a great game? I don't think anyone wants USC - but as a Pac 10 guy I have no problem with OU playing Bama/FLA winner for all the marbles- about as good as we can ask for under this phucked up system.

exactly

Truth of the matter, I'm a bit frustrated. I liked our chances against OU in the Fiesta Bowl far better then Texas. Texas has a much better defense. OU would have been like cutting through swiss cheese.

I'm certainly jealous of the Florida fans being able to wax yet another overrated team in the National Championship. I had no idea my Bucks were that bad, now poor OU fans get to feel the same pain, but more blindly.

Truth of the matter, I'm a bit frustrated. I liked our chances against OU in the Fiesta Bowl far better then Texas. Texas has a much better defense. OU would have been like cutting through swiss cheese.

I'm certainly jealous of the Florida fans being able to wax yet another overrated team in the National Championship. I had no idea my Bucks were that bad, now poor OU fans get to feel the same pain, but more blindly.

Ahhh......now we are getting somewhere.

Ahhh......now we are getting somewhere.

We're actually not at all. It's just more nonsense from TOSU.

For all we know, the Big 12 elite may not be able to stop anyone, though at least OU has shown it was able to stop 2 at least good OOC teams and shut down what was thought to be an insanely prolific TTech attack. Again, who knows. I think it's a combination of some less than stellar Ds and some really good Os.

None the less, were I a fan of OSU, I would be far less concerned about who we got matched up with in the Fiesta Bowl than I would with actually getting into the BCS at all.

WE'VE SEEN IT BEFORE

By Bruce Marshall, Executive Editor

History has a way of repeating itself in college football, whose pollsters continue to adhere to a strange ritual that has passed from generation to generation, regardless of the BCS, its predecessors the Bowl Coalition and Bowl Alliance, or the long-ago days in which bowl selection was a literal free-for-all.

Indeed, just as in years gone by, he who loses last apparently , loses most. That's why Oklahoma's ascension above Texas in the most recent BCS poll (landing the Sooners, and not the Longhorns, who beat OU during the regular season, in the Big XII title game) should come as no surprise to any college football historian.

We've seen it happen before. Rewind to 1978, which was our 22nd season publishing THE GOLD SHEET. Bear Bryant's Alabama opened the season atop the polls, solidifying its number one status with a nationally-televised 20-3 romp past 10th-ranked Nebraska in the opener at Birmingham. Three weeks later, however, the Tide faced a stiffer challenge at Legion Field when 7th-ranked Southern Cal came calling. The Trojans had famously beaten Bama in Birmingham back in 1970, 42-21, a game that convinced "the Bear" that he finally needed to recruit African-American athletes to compete against the nation's elite teams. Indeed, Bryant got the best of SC in subsequent meetings in '71 & '77, but not '78, as future Heisman winner Charles White shredded Bryant's defense for 199 yards rushing in a comfy 24-14 Trojan win. Unfortunately for SC, there was a banana peel waiting for it three weeks later at Tempe, as Arizona State, in its first year as a member of the newly-named Pac-10, scored a rousing 20-7 upset. Oklahoma, however, continued to maintain the top spot in the polls (which it assumed after Bama's loss to SC)...until mid-November, that is, when it suffered a narrow 17-14 loss at Nebraska. Joe Paterno's Penn State then took over as number one, at least until the Sugar Bowl, when it lost to Bama, 14-7. And despite the fact Oklahoma avenged its regular-season loss at Lincoln by defeating Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, and Southern Cal ended up with one loss, the same as Bama, the Tide was voted as the AP national champ. Never mind that Bama had lost at home vs. the Trojans...the Tide's loss occurred earlier in the season than SC's. Alabama, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and Penn State all finished with one loss, but in the final AP poll, the quartet was ranked in order of its earliest defeat...1-Bama, 2-SC, 3-Oklahoma, 4-Penn State.

And if 1978 was puzzling, so was 1993, one of the early "Bowl Coalition" seasons. A new poll, the Coalition Poll, was added to the mix that year, but it didn't help avoid controversy. Florida State began the season at number one and held it until mid-November, when the Seminoles traveled to South Bend for a matchup vs. Lou Holtz' undefeated and 2nd-ranked Notre Dame. The fired-up Irish, in one of Holtz' finest coaching moments, controlled the action throughout, although they had to hold on in the final moments for a 31-24 win. That was enough to earn the Domers the top ranking in the subsequent poll, but the Seminoles' late rally allowed them to stay a lofty second in the rankings. So, when Notre Dame lost on a last-second field goal to spunky underdog Boston College the next week, the door was open for FSU to slip into the national title at the expense of the Irish...despite losing to Notre Dame the previous week! The Seminoles reassumed the top spot in the polls, but undefeated Nebraska, West Virginia, and Auburn were now ahead of the Irish in the rankings, which meant no FSU-ND rematch in a bowl game. The best Holtz' bunch could do in bowl season was a date vs. Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl, a game the Irish won 24-21. Meanwhile, FSU and Nebraska had the honors of dueling in the "national title" game at the Orange Bowl, a battle narrowly won by the Seminoles, 18-16. In the end, FSU, Notre Dame, and Nebraska all ended with identical 11-1 records, but, like 1978, the final polls ranked the three in order of their earliest defeat...1-Florida State, 2-Notre Dame, 3-Nebraska. The Fighting Irish's win over the Seminoles was not deemed as important as the fact Notre Dame lost a subsequent game to Boston College.

Thus, we shouldn't be surprised that Texas was leapfrogged in the latest BCS poll by Oklahoma, despite the fact the Longhorns won impressively, 45-35, when the teams met at Dallas in early October. Texas' subsequent last-second loss at Texas Tech was deemed a more-important result than the Horns' win over the Sooners. As was the case with USC in 1978, and Notre Dame in 1993, so it is the same with Texas in 2008.

In college football, he who loses last really does lose the most!

Thus, we shouldn't be surprised that Texas was leapfrogged in the latest BCS poll by Oklahoma, despite the fact the Longhorns won impressively, 45-35, when the teams met at Dallas in early October. Texas' subsequent last-second loss at Texas Tech was deemed a more-important result than the Horns' win over the Sooners. As was the case with USC in 1978, and Notre Dame in 1993, so it is the same with Texas in 2008.

In college football, he who loses last really does lose the most!

What game were you watching. OU led for 50 plus minutes of that game, and Texas went ahead for good with 6 minutes to go by 3. OU sold out to stop Texas from running out the clock, and Texas gashed them with a 60+ yd play, which led to another TD. OU dominated this game in the first half, and led most of the game. Impressively is what OU did to Tech, not this.

One more funny thing about Mack Brown.

Commissioner: Big 12 to reassess divisional championship tiebreaker

By Joe Schad

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: December 2, 2008, 1:57 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Tuesday that the conference will reassess the divisional championship tiebreaker that left Texas out of the conference title game but that rushing to the conclusion that it needs to be changed would be a mistake.

If you win all of your games you don't have to worry about this scenario.

-- Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe

"Any tiebreaker system is difficult and will leave teams disappointed," Beebe said. "When the tiebreaker was written I was not in the league but they wanted to put in the team that had the best chance to play in the national championship game."

Despite identical records and a loss to Texas, Oklahoma advanced to the Big 12 championship game in Kansas City because the Sooners are ranked higher in the BCS standings.

"I'm not so sure that this isn't the best way to do it," Beebe said. "I understand the argument about head-to-head and it is a strong point, but as a lot of voters looked at it, and as the committees that select basketball tournament participants look at it, 'What team would you least want to play now?'"

Using the various tiebreakers of the ACC, Conference USA, MAC and SEC -- other conferences with two divisions -- Texas would have advanced to the Big 12 title game.

In the SEC, the team with the highest BCS ranking advances, unless the two teams are within five places of each other.

"This was a perfect storm," Beebe said. "You can't create a rule that accounts for every scenario. To have teams ranked second and third, that margin is so thin."

Beebe addressed the SEC tiebreaker rule.

Big 12 blog

ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network

"Let's say that the eighth-ranked team in the BCS is in the same division as the third-ranked," Beebe said. "If the eighth-ranked team beat the third-ranked team on a last-second play at home, sending the eighth-ranked team, that would defeat the purpose of trying to send the team with the best chance of winning a national championship."

Beebe said he and Texas coach Mack Brown have exchanged e-mails.

"There is still a lot of football to be played," Beebe said. "I feel terribly for the teams that are disappointed. If you win all of your games you don't have to worry about this scenario."

Beebe said the Big 12 athletic directors will discuss the tiebreaker scenarios again in March.

What game were you watching. OU led for 50 plus minutes of that game, and Texas went ahead for good with 6 minutes to go by 3. OU sold out to stop Texas from running out the clock, and Texas gashed them with a 60+ yd play, which led to another TD. OU dominated this game in the first half, and led most of the game. Impressively is what OU did to Tech, not this.

Hey clown, reading comprehension 101. SIX KINGS was quoting an article.

WE'VE SEEN IT BEFORE

By Bruce Marshall, Executive Editor

:wacko:

OU was beaten impressively 45-35

No doubt one of the greatest injustices of all time in college sports is occurring by allowing a team that was manhandled to jump the more dominant team.

Why do we even play the games anymore. Just let the computers tell us who they think is better and let the bowl season start early.

No doubt one of the greatest injustices of all time in college sports is occurring by allowing a team that was manhandled to jump the more dominant team.

Why do we even play the games anymore. Just let the computers tell us who they think is better and let the bowl season start early.

+1. Tech got screwed.

OU was beaten impressively 45-35

LMAO, you give us something to laugh at every day. At your expense yet again. Thank You Mike, I needed a laugh.

A couple of interesting things from ESPN.com today.

The Forde Yard dash

Settle It On The Field? Not In This Sport!

Gotta hand it to the BCS. It is an endless wellspring of unintended consequences. It always finds a way to find a mud puddle and fall in it, facedown. It has to be the single greatest source of how-did-that-happen snafus in human history.

Once again, the powers-that-be (Big 12 powers, in this instance) will probably retrofit the rules to fix an injustice already done. Too late for you, Bevo. Talk about a bum(med) steer.

Snafu '08: Oklahoma (1) bypasses Texas (2) into the Big 12 championship game and, with a victory over disappointing Missouri, into the BCS Championship Game. Yeah, that's the same Texas that beat Oklahoma by 10 points on a neutral field less than two months ago. Only in college football could we have a system that overrules the most basic evidence possible for deciding which team is better: head-to-head competition.

That's not to say Iowa is better than Penn State, Mississippi is better than Florida or Oregon State is better than USC. But in case of a tie, what better way to break it than head-to-head? Especially when the game in question was played on a neutral field?

The NCAA didn't decide it liked Memphis' overall season better than Kansas' and award the Tigers the 2008 national basketball title. The Jayhawks got what they earned in the Alamodome.

But that's basketball, which tends to settle the same things on the court that college football prefers settled by microchip and guesswork.

And also the ESPN.com power rankings

1 Bama

2 Florida

3 Texas

4 OU

A couple of interesting things from ESPN.com today.

The Forde Yard dash

And also the ESPN.com power rankings

1 Bama

2 Florida

3 Texas

4 OU

Note how the author referenced several H2H games where the victor was clearly inferior to make his case but didn't bother mentioning Tech v UT. This was neither interesting or a fresh take. Just another person who thinks UT is more deserving than OU. Again, a completely fair stance to take, but hardly the only plausible one.

Edited by detlef

Note how the author referenced several H2H games where the victor was clearly inferior to make his case but didn't bother mentioning Tech v UT. This was neither interesting or a fresh take. Just another person who thinks UT is more deserving than OU. Again, a completely fair stance to take, but hardly the only plausible one.

I didn't say it was right, just thought it was interesting. I wonder who is on the panel that comes up with the ESPN power rankings?

I didn't say it was right, just thought it was interesting. I wonder who is on the panel that comes up with the ESPN power rankings?

Out of curiosity, what part did you find the most interesting? The part where he was yet another person to fixate on UT H2H vs OU, or the part where he was yet another person to completely disregard Tech v UT and ignore that this is not a tie between UT and OU but rather a tie between OU, UT, and Tech? It's sort of a toss-up for me, but I'm leaning towards disregarding the 3-way tie bit.

Out of curiosity, what part did you find the most interesting? The part where he was yet another person to fixate on UT H2H vs OU, or the part where he was yet another person to completely disregard Tech v UT and ignore that this is not a tie between UT and OU but rather a tie between OU, UT, and Tech? It's sort of a toss-up for me, but I'm leaning towards disregarding the 3-way tie bit.

FWIW, it is possible to think Texas is better, just beyond the fact that they won h2h, and still take into acct the drubbing of OU vs Texas Tech. It's not like Texas has been barely sneaking by their opponents. They've been winning pretty impressively in their own right. My point is, if someone has Texas ahead of Oklahoma, it might be because they simply think that Texas is the best team in the Big 12.

FWIW, it is possible to think Texas is better, just beyond the fact that they won h2h, and still take into acct the drubbing of OU vs Texas Tech. It's not like Texas has been barely sneaking by their opponents. They've been winning pretty impressively in their own right. My point is, if someone has Texas ahead of Oklahoma, it might be because they simply think that Texas is the best team in the Big 12.

Certainly, but they'd better not try to point to anything concrete. I mean, besides H2H, what do they have on them? Let's just take the OU/UT/Tech deal out of the picture.

More impressive wins against a common high ranking opponent? Sorry, beating OSU at home by 4 is not as good as beating them by 20 on the road.

A more impressive overall schedule? Sorry, Missouri and Arkansas do not equal UC and TCU.

I mean, after those schools, does it really matter? Are we going to compare Colorado vs K-State?

Honestly, for the sake of this discussion, doesn't someone have to actually point to something? Assuming, as you say, that we're taking H2H out of the picture?