[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bowl Question

Robash

Well since Boise St. is likely to get screwed out of a BCS game for 2 loss team...is it Possible with all these bowl game conferance commitments that we could see a Boise St/Ball St match-up?

ok this question is only applicable if the second question below if wrong :wacko:

Edited by Robash

part two of my Bowl inquisition...

Sportsline Bowl Prediction Page

The champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to certain bowls, unless they are No. 1 or No. 2. (ACC: Orange; Big Ten: Rose; Big 12: Fiesta; Pac-10: Rose; SEC: Sugar).

If a Bowl loses a host team to the title game, then the bowl gets first choice at a replacement team. The rest of the selection order for 2009 is as follows: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange.

The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either: A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or, B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

BCS Standings

1. Alabama 12-0

2. Oklahoma 11-1

3. Texas 11-1

4. Florida 11-1

5. USC 10-1

6. Utah 12-0

7. Texas Tech 11-1

8. Penn State 11-1

9. Boise State 12-0

10. Ohio State 10-2

11. TCU 10-2

12. Ball State 12-0

With 10 BCS bowl spots available, all three of these schools will play in a BCS game? all three are in the top 12, all three are in the top 16 and have a higher ranking than the Big East and ACC champ...so if sportsline's explanation of this selection proccess is correct, the way i see it say good bye to Cinncinnati and BC?

Edited by Robash

bump, so if this BSC ranking is the same at the end of the year do BSU...and well BSU make BCS bowl games? and if so are Cin/BC out? or two reallly really unly at large bids gone, like possibly Alabama or Texas/TOSU.

bump, so if this BSC ranking is the same at the end of the year do BSU...and well BSU make BCS bowl games? and if so are Cin/BC out? or two reallly really unly at large bids gone, like possibly Alabama or Texas/TOSU.

BC/Vtech and UC are assured BCS bids, regardless of their final ranking. I'm not certain how many non-BCS teams qualify for the "ranked 12th or higher" bit. I get the impression that it's only one. If not, then it would seem a number of major schools are going to get left out.

At this stage it would seem to me that after the 6 auto bids, you have the loser of SEC Champtionship game, UT, at least 1 non-BCS school, and then anyone's guess. Either another one of the small schools or OSU, I'd suppose. It appears it won't be T Tech as you can only get two schools from any one conference in the BCS.

No more than onesuch team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

Boise State and Ball State would be eligible for an at large, but I doubt either would be picked over Ohio State.

Boise State and Ball State would be eligible for an at large, but I doubt either would be picked over Ohio State.

Brad where did you find that? sportslines says otherwise...im assuming thats from the BCS website?

and if that is the case which im assuming is...is a BSU/BSU bowl matchup a possibility with all these "commitments"?

Edited by Robash

BCS rules state -

The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,

B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.)

As a Ball State alum, I am partial to this situation. I would love to see the Boise State - Ball State unbeaten match-up. As it currently stands, the Mac Champ plays the 6th or 7th place Big Ten Team, which I don't think is actually bowl eligible. The WAC Champ is supposed to play the 5th or 6th Pac-10 team, again a crappy match-up. I just wouldn't want to see this match-up in the Humanitarian Bowl, which is at Boise State.