[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plax turns himself in...

Randall

OK...these posts on the blog were hysterical. :wacko:

The best blog post ive seen so far on this whole Plax mess was "He should of done the New York sports a favor and accidently shot Marbury in the leg instead of himself"

being a Giants/Knicks fan this did give me quite a chuckle

:D

His problem is he didn't use a good disguise.

Didn't work for Bobby V

cha-ching!

Burress could be Giants' money pit

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Monday December 01, 2008, 8:58 PM

So what does Plaxico Burress stand to lose if the Giants place him on the non-football injury list and cut him after the season? Nearly $32 million, according to an agent who looked at his contract Monday and broke it down payment by payment:

$12,088,235

Base salary

The salaries of NFL contracts are normally not guaranteed. And when they are, it's only the early part of a big contract. In Burress' case, none of his yearly salaries are guaranteed, meaning he stands to lose his salaries for the final four years of the deal ($1 million in 2009 and $3.5 million in each of the next three seasons) and the final five weeks of this season ($588,235).

$4,944,117

Signing bonuses

It's been mentioned the Giants have the option to go after the defaulted portion of Burress' $4,250,000 signing bonus from his new deal. Since the Giants can say he defaulted before the 13th week of the season, that means they can go after the final five checks of this year and the 68 game weeks remaining on his contract. That means they can go after 85.8 percent of the new bonus, or $3.65 million. But the team can also make a case for the remaining prorated portion of the $5 million bonus of the contract he signed in 2005 -- about 25 percent, or $1,294,117.

$3,500,000

Reporting bonuses

These are actually behavioral clauses, meaning Burress had to be in house on time and acting in accordance with team policy. Next year, he's owed $500,000 and in each of the last three seasons, he's due $1 million.

$8,275,529

Roster bonuses

If he's not active for the final four games, he'll lose $75,529 of this year's roster bonus. The same rule applies for the $925,000 roster bonuses in each of the remaining four years of the deal ($3.7 million total). Burress also has a $2 million roster bonus due next year and $2.5 million in each of the last two years of the deal, though those last two are tied to performance and would result in $1.25 million off his base salary, so they're actually worth $2.5 million combined.

$5,000,000

Escalators

Burress has increases in salary in each of the next four seasons: $200,000 for 71 or more receptions, another $150,000 for 85 catchers, $200,000 for 1,075 yards, $150,000 more for 1,300 yards, $200,000 for eight touchdowns, another $150,000 for 13 touchdowns and $200,000 for a trip to the Pro Bowl.

$1,300,000

Offseason workout bonuses

Did you really think he would earn these anyway?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/12...ants_money.html

From an ESPN witness

"A witness reported hearing a popping sound before Burress' legs began to shake, according to a criminal complaint. It said the person saw a bloody pistol fall out of his pant leg and land on the floor before Burress said "Take me to a hospital."

He didn't bother with the safety? It was in his pants and just went off? :wacko:

not a gun person myself, but I heard that not all handguns have safeties?

That's true. Not all guns have safties. Revolvers typically don't. Revolvers have fairly heavy trigger pulls, so the chance of the gun firing accidently is remote. You have to pull the trigger.

Burress was carrying a Glock. It doesn't have an external safety like some other pistols, where you have a switch or lever that, when engaged, prevents the pistol from firing. However, Glock pistols have what they call a "triple safety" system. One of the safeties is a little lever on the trigger. Unless your finger (or another object, which seems highly unlikely to me) depresses this lever, the pistol will not fire.

So Burress, or someone else, had his finger on the trigger. Maybe he was pulling it out of his pocket. Maybe he was just playing around with it. But someone's finger was on the trigger.

Some people do carry a gun concealed in a pocket. But if you need to draw it, or remove it from your pocket, you don't put your finger on the trigger while doing so.

Burress is a dumbass. He should go to jail for endangering the safety of others.

I'm wondering if his injury is serious enough to merit a trip to the non-football IR. If the bullet just grazed his leg and he was walking around easily yesterday, I don't see him missing more than a month health-wise.

Then again, it may not matter, as he'll likely be suspended by the league.

That's true. Not all guns have safties. Revolvers typically don't. Revolvers have fairly heavy trigger pulls, so the chance of the gun firing accidently is remote. You have to pull the trigger.

Burress was carrying a Glock. It doesn't have an external safety like some other pistols, where you have a switch or lever that, when engaged, prevents the pistol from firing. However, Glock pistols have what they call a "triple safety" system. One of the safeties is a little lever on the trigger. Unless your finger (or another object, which seems highly unlikely to me) depresses this lever, the pistol will not fire.

So Burress, or someone else, had his finger on the trigger. Maybe he was pulling it out of his pocket. Maybe he was just playing around with it. But someone's finger was on the trigger.

Some people do carry a gun concealed in a pocket. But if you need to draw it, or remove it from your pocket, you don't put your finger on the trigger while doing so.

Burress is a dumbass. He should go to jail for endangering the safety of others.

So you are saying that the story of it just kind of slipping down his pants/leg and going off his not accurate? I thought I read that a witness claims that it did just accidentally go off???

So you are saying that the story of it just kind of slipping down his pants/leg and going off his not accurate? I thought I read that a witness claims that it did just accidentally go off???

Unless you are saying Burress was suicidal, I believe shooting yourself is accidental.

I suppose that anything is possible. But it seems to me that you could drop a Glock down your pants leg (must be some baggy ass pants) 5,000 times without it discharging. A finger, or something else, is going to have to get into the trigger guard and pull the trigger.

Here is a photo of a Glock trigger. You have to push down on that little lever. That, coupled with the relatively heavy trigger pull, makes it very difficult to fire the pistol without intending to.

Edited by Furd

I suppose that anything is possible. But it seems to me that you could drop a Glock down your pants leg (must be some baggy ass pants) 5,000 times without it discharging. A finger, or something else, is going to have to get into the trigger guard and pull the trigger.

Here is a photo of a Glock trigger. You have to push down on that little lever. That, coupled with the relatively heavy trigger pull, makes it very difficult to fire the pistol without intending to.

That does make sense. He must have been playing with it or grabbed it wrong. Maybe it was slipping and he grabbed it pressing the trigger.

Physically huge NFL players admitting they feel threatened by crime? This hardly fits their tough, macho image. Our concern is supposed to be for women walking alone at night. Who can have sympathy for a professional football player such as Plaxico Burress who is 6 feet 5 inches and weighs 232 lbs.?

Burress, who has no previous criminal record, now faces between three and a half to 15 years for illegally carrying a concealed handgun with him in Manhattan, if convicted. He was arrested Monday and was released on $100,000 bail. — Burress had had a concealed handgun permit in the state of Florida for the last five years, but he forgot to renew it in May this year.

While the massive size and strength of NFL players might make them seem like unlikely potential crime victims, their wealth and high public profile nonetheless make them particularly attractive targets for violent criminals. While “only” two players were murdered last year, that means a murder rate of 118 per 100,000 people, compared to 5.9 per 100,000 for the rest of the population. In other words, the rate for NFL players was 20 times higher than the average for the rest of the country. This is even higher than the most at risk segment of the population -– young black males between 18 and 24. It is even higher than the risk faced by police officers.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/12/...ott_guncontrol/

Burress had had a concealed handgun permit in the state of Florida for the last five years, but he forgot to renew it in May this year.

That doesn't apply in New York even if renewed. I don't agree with the mandatory 3 1/2 year sentence though. I don't like mandatory sentences.

he is the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3738905

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress is done for the year.

The New York Giants fined and suspended Burress on Tuesday for four games -- the rest of the regular season -- after he accidentally shot himself in the right thigh over the weekend at a Manhattan nightclub. The team also placed him on the reserve non-football injury list, which means the wide receiver couldn't come back for playoffs, either.

The team punished Burress a day after he was charged with illegal weapons possession, which carries a penalty of 3½ to 15 years in prison if he's convicted. Burress is due back in court again on March 31, unless he reaches a plea agreement.

Burress arrived Tuesday morning at Giants Stadium, and met individually with Giants president John Mara, general manager Jerry Reese and coach Tom Coughlin. He left for a medical test and returned in the afternoon for another brief session with team officials.

Even as they suspended him for conduct detrimental to the team, Giants officials made conciliatory statements about Burress, who caught a touchdown pass from Eli Manning that gave the Giants a 17-14 Super Bowl win over New England in February.

"As we have said since Saturday morning, our concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being," Mara said. "This is an important time for him to take care of his body and heal up and also deal with the very serious legal consequences and other issues in his life. When I spoke with Plaxico he expressed great remorse for letting down his teammates."

Neither Burress nor his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was immediately available for comment.

Dr. Scott Rodeo, a team physician, examined Burress and told the Giants that the gunshot wound would have sidelined the 31-year-old player for 4-to-6 weeks anyway.

"I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation," Reese said Tuesday. "He knows that we are here to support him and help him get healthy."

NFL.com Video

Plaxico Burress turned himself in to police Monday after shooting himself over the weekend.

This is the second time the Giants have suspended the troubled receiver this season. He missed the Oct. 2 game against Seattle for missing a team meeting. He also has been fined dozens of times since 2005 for violating team rules, and he was hit with a $45,000 fine by the league this season for abusing an official and throwing a ball into the stands during a game.

"Our concern all along has been for Plaxico the person, not Plaxico the player," team chairman Steve Tisch said. "We are here to support him and his family as he recovers from his wound and deals with some serious issues."

Burress is fourth on the team with 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns. He has caught 244 passes for 3,681 yards and 33 touchdowns since joining the team in 2005 as a free agent.

"When you lose a player of Plaxico's ability, it is incumbent that everybody step up and fill the void," said Coughlin, whose team is 11-1 and a win away from clinching the NFC East. "In the last two seasons, this team has done an outstanding job of that. We made it clear to Plax today that we are here to support him in any way possible."

Fines in the NFL typically mean a player loses a paycheck for each game he misses. In Burress' case, that would mean roughly $206,000 per regular season game.

• 2 weeks later...
The latest details to come out of the saga that ended with Plax shooting himself in the leg two weeks ago come from the strip club that he and his teammates Antonio Pierce and Ahmad Bradshaw stopped by for a couple of hours before the infamous incident at Latin Quarter. Sources connected to Head Quarters club tell the Post that Burress is "cheap," "very rude" and "the most unpopular celebrity that's been there." Apparently the three Giants drank two bottles of Patron tequila (not often the suggested mixer with a firearm and sweatpants) and Burress ate some of the staff's Thanksgiving turkey with his bare hands, or as the Post puts it, "like an animal." Not only did the Giants not have to pay for any of the amenities, they apparently took off without even leaving a tip.

http://gothamist.com/2008/12/11/plax_stiff...nd_downed_p.php