[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do I handle this league issue ?

MGNJ

exactly.

If the guy "tanking" wins this week who does he meet in the playoffs vs who he mihgt meet if he were to lose this week?

And is that why he is tanking and it is just a strange coiincidence that he is playing his friend this week?

unless he set the schedule himself, who he plays the week he needs to tank to improve his plyoff matchup, was not his choice.

Who he plays in the playoffs does not matter. He's the #1 seed (1 plays 4)

His buddy is one of four teams (my team included) that going for the #4 seed.

It all boils down to him trying to get his buddy the last playoff spot and some guarenteed cash.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all boils down to him trying to get his buddy the last playoff spot and some guarenteed cash.

ok so he plays the 4 seed but of the 4 teams going for the 4 seed, which of those teams is the weakest?

This is a new piece to the puzzle.

You simply can not change the lineup he submits this week without at least consulting the entire league first, you have something to gain by doing so.

And this is why tanking to get a favorable matchup os not good either.

Let's say for the sake of argument that this guy is tanking to get a better matchup, that could screw you and 2 other owners out of a spot you might otherwise have gotten.

But whether he is tanking to gain a better matchup or to let his buddy in, it is the same result for you. You could miss out on the 4th spot because of it.

Tanking is wrong but honestly I am still not convinced that he is tanking. For example over the last 3 weeks Brees has only outscored Hill by 7 points and Hill facing the 29th ranked pass defense where Brees is facing the 22nd ranked pass defense. Hill arguably has the better matchup.

the one player that he benched that I really question is Chris johnson, outside of johnson he could just be playing the matchups

ok so he plays the 4 seed but of the 4 teams going for the 4 seed, which of those teams is the weakest?

If he loses to his buddy it's still not a lock for his buddy to make the playoffs (One of the other teams has to lose as well)

He's beat his buddy's team twice during the year (much like beat me twice) so who is playoff opponent is SHOULD HE lose is irrelevant.

we're all 8-5 or 7-6. No one team is that much better.

what about points scored?

for example. I have two teams in one division both went 8-5. One averaged 92.7 pts per game 1 averaged 106.8, who would you rather face in the 1st rd of the playoffs?

and fyi, last week Bryant & Royal outscored Boldin & White 28 - 15.3.

If he loses to his buddy it's still not a lock for his buddy to make the playoffs (One of the other teams has to lose as well)

He's beat his buddy's team twice during the year (much like beat me twice) so who is playoff opponent is SHOULD HE lose is irrelevant.

don't lose sight of the fact that I think tanking is wrong.

But if his buddy making the playoffs will give him a better matchup then it most definitely could be relevant.

I have to wonder how passionate you would be about this if your playoff fate were not at stake?

Regardless, because he has something to gain - he can't take action with out consulting the league as a whole or citing league rules (of which, they have none).

Edited by kpholmes

I have to wonder how passionate you would be about this if your playoff fate were not at stake?

Here is the money question....

DOES IT APPEAR THAT HE IS TANKING WITH HIS CURRENT LINE-UP ?

If so, I will send out a message poll and ask every owner to vote on how this guy should be dealt with.

Here is the money question....

DOES IT APPEAR THAT HE IS TANKING WITH HIS CURRENT LINE-UP ?

If so, I will send out a message poll and ask every owner to vote on how this guy should be dealt with.

I am not convined that he is tanking, as stated in an earlier post.

And even if he is tanking is it because he wants his buddy in or because he is manuevering for a better matchup in the playoffs?

To that end, you have not answered the points scored question. Of the 4 teams battling for the 4 seed, what kind of point scoring ability does each team have? Record alone is not indicative of a teams ability to score points.

Other than the Brees decision, I don't see the tanking. Dunn has been solid and I can see starting him over Johnson. Boldin may not play this week and Ryan has started to spread the ball around to more than Roddy White. Hill over Brees though?? I would bet he is the only owner on the planet that would make that decision.

The bottom line is, do you think he is tanking? You are the commissioner, and the one with some feel for these other owners.

If I were to personally send out an e-mail or write a post on the message board for the other owners, it would read something like this:

"Guys, I am a little worried that one of the owners in this league might be purposely tanking this week to get his friend into the playoffs. Because I could stand to profit in this situation, I wanted to open this discussion up for everybody before making any kind of decision..." That way, you look good for asking for input, but don't come across as soft, as you would if you just wrote an e-mail asking for advice. Remember, this is your decision. Don't let yourself be pressured into a corner if you firmly believe this owner is tanking.

Ya know, I personally don't think he is tanking. I wouldn't be surprised if his starting QB changed in the next few days.

I am not convined that he is tanking, as stated in an earlier post.

And even if he is tanking is it because he wants his buddy in or because he is manuevering for a better matchup in the playoffs?

To that end, you have not answered the points scored question. Of the 4 teams battling for the 4 seed, what kind of point scoring ability does each team have? Record alone is not indicative of a teams ability to score points.

Here are what the four teams battling for a playoff spot have done the last three weeks (total point for season in parenthesis)

a-101, 95, 50 (1211) ** his buddy's team **

b-65, 95, 105 (1304)

c-101, 121,90 (1282)

d-91,67,71 (1108)

Here are what the four teams battling for a playoff spot have done the last three weeks (total point for season in parenthesis)

a-101, 95, 50 (1211) ** his buddy's team **

b-65, 95, 105 (1304)

c-101, 121,90 (1282)

d-91,67,71 (1108)

Well there is obviously one team scoring less but it is hard to argue that playing his buddy wouldn't be a better matchup than playing 2 ot the other 3 teams. He has averaged less than 100 points a week and he is coming off a 50 pt game.

I can't help but think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Well there is obviously one team scoring less but it is hard to argue that playing his buddy wouldn't be a better matchup than playing 2 ot the other 3 teams. He has averaged less than 100 points a week and he is coming off a 50 pt game.

I can't help but think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Agreed. I would definitely want to be playing a or d in this scenario (not knowing week 15 matchups to really get nitty of course), definitely not want to play c who looks to be hot the last few weeks and would ratehr avoid b as he has put up the most points on the season even with that 65 point week, showing he is capable of big points.

I'm with ABWF on this one. If he's trying to tank, this could backfire very badly for him.

Other than the fact he's playing guys he hasn't played much so far.....I'm not convinced he's tanking.

Couple words of advice though: Since you are a first year commish......don't let it go to your head. I'm not making any judgements.....just know that this tends to happen with 1st yr commishes. :wacko: I'm also betting this was a first stab at writing rules too. Live and learn...and get yourself a better set of rules. Secondly......GET your league a Co-Commish. Since you are "involved" with the outcome of this match, it's just as unethical for YOU to tamper with it. That's part of the reason to have co-commissioners.

The best you can do at this point, IMHO, is to send out an email detailing your suppositions and dissatisfaction (diplomatically) and say that some of these issues WILL be discussed in the offseason. Don't take a poll.....don't be too harsh....just say enough to let your other leaguemates know they will have a say in future rules and hopefully something like this can be headed off next year. Maybe they won't drop out of the league.

The other consideration you have (and you have no proof either way) is that the friend vying for the 4th slot may also be "in on this." Sort of a payback for inviting the #1 guy into the league. If that's the case......you may not want either of them back next year. But for now......the worst thing you can do is look spiteful and heavy handed because it will only look like you are using your commish powers to get a fair shot at the last playoff berth and some money.

Do your rules state you cant Tank on purpose? If not, let him do what he wants.

Rules can't cover everything. I'd like to see rules for you guys who say "if the rules don't exactly say you can't tank, then it has to go through." Complete BS.

This weeks line-up:

S Hill SF v NYJ

R. Brown RB MIA

W. Dunn RB TB

A. Bryant WR TB

B. Marshall WR

E. Royal WR DEN

J. Elam K ATL

Ravens DST BAL

On his bench;

D Brees vs ATL

J. Addai RB IND

C. Johnson RB TEN

D. Williams RB CAR

A. Boldin WR ARI

R. White WR ATL

First of all, he may win with that lineup and secondly, Karma will get him in the playoffs if he is tanking. I am not convinced he is tanking though.

Edited by Eagle2003

So he told you he was trying to get his buddy in? Maybe he doesn't want to play your team because you have better players. Regardless Karma will get him.

Edited by Eagle2003