[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB help -- pick 2 out of 3

JetFanMike

Please pick 2 to start  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2 QB's should I use this week?

• Shaun Hill (vs. Jets)
    • Tony Romo (at Steelers)
    • Tyler Thigpen (at Broncos)

I'm really torn on which 2 QB's to use this week -- I'd appreciate as much input as I can get. Choices (with my thoughts) are:

Tony Romo -- the best player, but the worst matchup. But the Steelers are even tougher against the run, and I figure the Cowboys will have to pass (especially if Barber is out). And I'm not sure if the Steelers pass D is as good as the numbers say, they've played a relatively weak schedule. To make things more complicated, the weather forecast is lousy. Romo could throw for 300 yards and 3 TD's, or he could totally stink it up.

Shaun Hill -- at first glance, the obvious one to sit. But a great matchup against the Jets weak pass D, and the only one of the three playing at home. Everybody has done well against the Jets, except for the Rams and Matt Cassel (in his first game). Hill obviously doesn't have as big an upside as Romo, but he's probably safer. Frank Gore is obviously a factor, but against the Jets he'll probably do most of his damage on receptions. Also, in case it matters, I'm playing against the Jets D; and if they totally dominate my opponent would get a double benefit here.

Tyler Thigpen -- somewhere between the other two as a player, and a mid-range matchup against the Broncos. The game will probably be a shootout, so he may have to throw a lot. On the other hand, he's the only guy I've listed who's run game should do well. The Broncos are weak vs. the run, and Larry Johnson traditionally kills them. So the Chiefs MAY try to keep the ball on the ground and control the clock. By the way, I have Tony Gonzalez, who I expect to have a big game; my opponent has Dwayne Bowe. Again, just more to consider.

Anyway, votes (and even better, reasons!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I think I voted for Hill....but I ment Thigpen, better options despite LJ's stats. Since you're starting 2 I think you have to go with Romo, best weapons and with Barber banged up he'll have to step up.

Good Luck, check out mine.

Tough to bench Romo against anyone really. But the other choice is a real tough one. Both have their upside, I'd probably go with Hill because my observations of intra AFC West matchups is they're very competitive, KC seem to hate to lose against any of them, so I think that game could be closer than you think and consequently LJ will do a lot of the work not Thigpen. I dunno, maybe it's just me but I tend to steer fairly clear of teams in that division battling each other.

What is your scoring system? This is a definite factor.

It's gonna be freezing, gross, and snowy in Pittsburgh on Sunday facing the best D. Barber's a GTD (missed practice again today). UGH. This game has 13-10 slugfest written all over it.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/...topnav_outdoors

I'm starting Hill in my other league and feel ok about it--other options Schaub and Garrard :wacko:. It'll be hard for SF to run a lot so look for a couple of passing TDs and hopefully minimal mistakes.

Den v KC looks to be a shootout.

I'd say keep ridign Thigpen and sub Hill for Romo.

I would sit Thigpen. Denver is playing much better lately (ask the Jets) and I dont expect him to have a very good game. Hill has upside with the Jets (home, west coast offense, Jets def against pass stinks) and Romo will have decent numbers, maybe just not as many as you are used to.

BITE

(Ballz In The Endzone)

Please see my post.

that is tough. pittsburgh doen't want to lose their lead in the division and will be playing tough. but if anyone has a chance to beat them it is dallas with romo healthy at qb. it will be a great game and romo has a chance to break through the secondary.

i'm a chiefs fan, but still not a fan of thigpen. but as bad as denver has been, he could put up big numbers.

with hill, he also has a shot at a good game, but will get alot of pressure and i can see him easily turning the ball over at least 2-3 times.

i'd go with romo and thigpen

Thanks for the reply with my post.

As for your selections, I would have to go Romo and Thigpen. Funny, those are my two QB's and right now, I'm rolling with Romo...although, that could change on Sunday. Thankfully, both play the afternoon game, so it gives me time to think.

Good luck!

Thanks for the respond and input.

I would go with Thigpen and Hill this week. Both have matchups and could be playing from behind all day. Romo is playing a tough D on the road in bad weather. I agree that Pitts pass Ds number are overrated because of who they have played but with Barber out and probably no run run game to respect Pitt can pin their ears back and go after him and sit on TO and Witten all day. Like you said this could get ugly for him. I think the downside on the other two just aren't there.

Thanks for the inputs -- voting is reasonably close -- and I appreciate all the reasoning and comments. Jjammers point about pass protection is interesting -- I don't really know how good Barber is, but given his size and experience I've gotta figure Choice is a downgrade. I also think Bree made a good point about Romo having a much bigger downside.

Other "late breaking" news is that a couple of Denver's starting defensive players are out (I think an LB and a CB), which helps Thigpen. Mark Bradley is out, which hurts Thigpen, but might help Dwayne Bowe (my opponent) -- I'm not sure if more targets helps Bowe, or double coverage helps him. Either way it should help Tony Gonzalez, who I've also got. And I THINK the latest forecast is for the snow to stop before the Cowboy-Steeler game starts.

All three guys play at 4PM, my current plan is to see how I'm doing at about 3:45 (we start 9 guys, only 3 of mine are playing early and 6 of my oppoents guys are). Right now I'm leaning towards Hlll (who I think is the safest play) and Thigpen if the weather in Pittsburgh is real bad, Romo if the weather looks decent. If my opponent has a huge lead and I'm in a hole I may switch to Romo and Thiggy. So I'll base my decision on what I think I need.

Thanks very much to all you guys -- I think I answered all of your posts (I must have gotten to at least 50 the past couple of days after not spending much time on the Board this year), I've tried to give as well-thought out answers as you've given me.

Id go with Romo and Hill. Romo is a must start. Even against the Giants and Hill does have an upside against the Jets. Singletary has call him out on going to the next level. He has the confidence of the coach and that is always a good thing

Romo plays Pitt and i dont think hes a must start against them

Romo will have to throw a ton today with Barber out. I see a tough road game and a loss for the Boys. I would roll with Thigpen and his 250 +2TDs today. It may not be spectacular, but you will get solid production from this position. Take Romo as your #2 QB....even with his INTs today, he will have to throw at least 2TDs to keep up with the Steelers in a losing effort.

Edited by SpinalTapp

Thanks to all of you for your help, especially those of you who gave reasons in addition to voting -- with my opponent having a lousy set of 1PM players, I played it safe and used Thigpen and Hill, and it worked out great -- Hill actually had the best game, and could have been even better if Jason HIll managed not to fumble on the one yard line. Even though Hill came in 3rd in the voting, the fact that he even came close to Romo made me feel comfortable with my decision.

And while it looked like a great play at halftime of the Cowboy game, Romo's actually had a pretty solid second half to make his game respectable. Now I just have to make the same decision next week...probably Hill's turn to sit.

Good luck to everyone ...