[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees vs Warner with an added element...

TaffKiwi

I have Brees and Warner ranked virtually equal with a slight nod to Brees because he's been so good in New Orleans in particular.

However, my opponent has Larry Fitzgerald in his lineup. Bearing in mind that we get 6 pts per passing TD as well as receiving but 1pt/20 passing versus 1pt per 10 yards receiving, is it to my advantage to start Warner instead?

Any TD my opponent gets for Fitz will be cancelled out by Warner scoring 6pts for it as well.

What's the theory here?

Remember, Warner's also got Boldin and Breaston to throw to. But I understand where you're coming from. The bottom line is that Warner could have a great game just throwing to Boldin, and Fitz could do nothing. Or he could throw for 160 yards and 2 TD's, all to Fitz, which would be a great game for a WR but lousy for a QB.

I would probably look at the overall matchup -- if you THINK your team is a big favorite this week, you could go with Warner to minimize the chances that a great day by Fitz costs you the game (since Warner would be getting some of the points). If you think you're the underdog, you have to hope Fitz has an off day, which means Warner probably won't excel, and go with Brees.

Normally, I only consider this stuff when I'm deciding on a 3rd WR, or a TE, and trying to partiallly neutralize my opponents QB. I think that you should basically just go with the decision you would make ignoring Fitz as your opponent.

Please see mine at http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=275393

It's the last week of our regular season, we currently look like this:

1st guy 9-4 1978.75pts

--Me-- 8-5 1989.30pts

3rd guy 8-5 1870.95

4rd guy 8-5 1840.95

5th guy 7-6 1856.10

3rd guy is playing 4th guy this week so there's a shot for 5th guy to make it. By my reckoning I can't realistically finish lower than 3rd. As 3rd guy, 4th guy and 5th guy are all pretty much of a level it probably makes no difference what happens in my current matchup but I'd like to finish top just for bragging rights :wacko: That'd require 1st guy to lose though. Not impossible as he is facing a team already out of the playoffs but on a 4 game winning streak.

Anyway, if it weren't for Fitz I'd play Brees, I was just wondering if there was method in my madness, on paper I should win my matchup convincingly, I'm already off to a good start. 26 points for Z Miller and Stephen Cooper in a league where 150 points will win you the matchup about 85-90% of the time. It's just Fitz is definitely his offensive star at the moment and I feel like I should be able to nullify Fitz by playing Warner?

I had the same two QBs oddly enough in one league....until I traded WARNER for Cooley and $10 back before week 10 deadline...I was desparate to make playoffs....well ironically, I made the playoffs, and, lo and behold, face the dude I traded WARNER to now in the first round !....I KNOW, I SUCK ! He would've had to play ROMO (his other QB) vs Stillers this week vs. me....But enough about my dumbassness...I would play BREES this week at home, where he is "en fuego " !!!! :wacko: