[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pierre Thomas gets his chance

Randall

Pierre Thomas, your life is calling.

Or more accurately, your career is calling.

The second-year back with the colloquial sobriquet is in the midst of a midseason audition for the lead-runner role in the Saints' backfield.

With previous lead men Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister not at 100 percent, and key reserve Aaron Stecker out for the season, Thomas has an opportunity to prove he can be the every-down back the Saints have lacked the past two seasons.

By the end of the season, we should know. And so should the Saints. It's vital that they get an answer before entering the offseason.

If Thomas can't handle the load, the Saints almost certainly will sign or draft someone who can this spring.

No one understands this better than Thomas.

The 23-year-old undrafted free agent from Illinois knows this is his "Lance Moore moment."

"I've been working and studying so hard for this, " Thomas said Thursday. "I just want to show them that I can be that guy, that every-down back. . . . This really is my opportunity, and I just want to show what I can do."

Thomas' brief body of work has been impressive enough to earn him a shot at the full-time job. Since moving into the lead-back role three games ago, he has averaged 4.9 yards a carry and 106 yards of total offense with a team-high-tying four touchdowns.

His effort has impressed Coach Sean Payton, as well as his teammates.

Fullback Mike Karney compared Thomas to a "smaller version of Michael Turner, " the Falcons' pinball back who ranks third in the league with 1,208 yards.

"He's durable, and he's smart, " Payton said. "He's not a guy that takes a lot of minus-(yardage) runs. I've been pleased with his progress from a guy who's relatively young, but nonetheless certainly not a rookie any more, and a guy that you wouldn't know is a free agent."

Thomas' instincts, vision and uncanny balance are his primary assets. He said he's fooled some defenders with his deceptive power.

"I hit harder than what I look like, " Thomas said. "One guy said, 'Man, you might only weigh 200 or 205 (pounds) but you hit like you're 250.' That's a big shock to the defense."

Because of his deceptive power and explosiveness, Thomas rarely gets stuffed on runs. He's ranked second in the NFL in that category, having been held to 0 or negative yards on just two of 78 carries (.026 percent), according to Stats, Inc.

Interestingly, McAllister ranks sixth on that list at .056 (5/89).

Reggie Bush, meanwhile, ranks among the worst in the league with 16 "stuffs" in 90 carries.

That's not the only statistic that suggests Thomas is a better every-down rusher than Bush. Consider that Thomas has gained 80 or more yards in three of the six career games that he's had 10 or more carries. Bush, meanwhile, has topped the 80-yard mark just two of the 24 times he's had 10 or more carries in a game.

Thomas' 4.6-and 4.8-yard averages are a full yard better than Bush the past two seasons, and the best by a Saints back since McAllister averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2003.

He has five of the Saints' nine runs of 15 yards or more this season, and his 105-yard rushing performance in the 2007 finale at Chicago was the only 100-yard rushing game by a Saints back during the past two seasons. In that game, Thomas also had 12 receptions for 121 yards, becoming the first Saints player and second NFL rookie to gain more than 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in a game.

It's hard to argue with those numbers.

"I think they're starting to look at me like, 'Hey, he's doing a good job, let's keep him in there and see if he can keep coming through for us, ' " Thomas said.

At 5 feet 11, 210 pounds, Thomas isn't blessed with prototypical feature-back size. The 4.64- and 4.58-second times he ran in the 40-yard dash before the 2007 draft suggest he's not a burner, either.

But he gets the job done, thanks to a combination of vision, balance, intelligence and lower-body strength built from years of pushing cars and pulling blocking sleds as a teen and collegian.

"I tell people I'm a mixture of Deuce and Reggie, " Thomas said. "I can catch the ball and make people miss, and I can take the pounding. Maybe Reggie can't take the pounding because he's not as big, but I can because I'm used to it.

"I just want to show them I can be that No. 1 back, splitting time with Reggie, like Deuce and Reggie were -- just like that."

The true test of an NFL runner isn't determined by one- or three-game samples. It's proven over the length of a full season, when the collective pounding and carries take their toll.

Thomas, who once carried 37 times in a game at Illinois, believes he is up to the challenge. So, too, does Payton.

"I think so, " Payton said. "We saw him handle a real good workload a year ago in Chicago, and certainly his role has changed of late with us. You'll see him get a lot of touches this weekend."

Nothing would please frustrated Saints fans more than to see Thomas top the 100-yard rushing mark against the hated Dirty Birds on Sunday.

That hasn't happened at the Superdome since McAllister plowed over, around and through the Eagles for 143 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' 2006 NFC divisional playoff win.

The Saints' running game has been AWOL ever since.

It's time for a pinball named Pierre to see if he can bring it back.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/12/ne...ierre_thom.html

He will pass with flying colors. The Saints are very well aware that Thomas is their back of the future, with Duece and Stecker leaving next year. Face it Bush is not a true RB and they will still draft or sign another rb in the offseason.

The guy can definitely play. The worry from a fantasy perspective is how many touches he will lose with Bush back in the mix.

Bush is likely to get the short swing passes out of the backfield which will leave Pierres value to be mostly rushing yards and goalline carries.

This season the Saints rank 28th in rushing offense with just under 90 yards and 25th in the league in carries with just under 25 carries a game. They do however have 14 rushing tds (8th in the NFL) so hopefully Pierre can find the endzone 1 or 2 times this weekend.

Edited by myhousekey

Reggie Bush, meanwhile, ranks among the worst in the league with 16 "stuffs" in 90 carries.

That's not the only statistic that suggests Thomas is a better every-down rusher than Bush. Consider that Thomas has gained 80 or more yards in three of the six career games that he's had 10 or more carries. Bush, meanwhile, has topped the 80-yard mark just two of the 24 times he's had 10 or more carries in a game.

Thomas' 4.6-and 4.8-yard averages are a full yard better than Bush the past two seasons, and the best by a Saints back since McAllister averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2003.

He has five of the Saints' nine runs of 15 yards or more this season, and his 105-yard rushing performance in the 2007 finale at Chicago was the only 100-yard rushing game by a Saints back during the past two seasons. In that game, Thomas also had 12 receptions for 121 yards, becoming the first Saints player and second NFL rookie to gain more than 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in a game.

It's hard to argue with those numbers.

It was just a week ago when I made the same argument for Thomas against Bush and some guys blew me off as a biased Thomas owner. Well it's nice to see Coach Peyton finally seeing the light. Even if Thomas fails his audition to be the featured RB in the Saint offense, it's clear the Saints know Bush wil never be that guy. Now that's something many of us have been saying for years. Why not just make Bush a WR at this point?

Bush could then return all kickoffs and punts. Imagine trying to stop Colston, Moore, Bush and Shockey in the passing game with Thomas or another RB (like Derrick Ward via free agency) in the rushing game? SICK

Edited by FishFreak

What nickname for Pierre is better?

I like my own: Viva La France or Tombstone Pizza Pierre.

Does he HAVE a nickname?

Please explain Tombstone Pizza Pierre. It is stupid and makes no sense IMO

Please explain Tombstone Pizza Pierre. It is stupid and makes no sense IMO

I don't get it either. Maybe Taz has been drinking all night. :wacko:

If he has a great game maybe something will emerge, but I'm not big on most nicknames I liked TD for Terrell Davis but he earned it.

I'm rolling with Piere over Fast Willie today. Even with Deuce now active, I think Pierre has a solid game.

I know you have all been on the edge of your seat waiting for me to inform you of that. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

I don't get it either. Maybe Taz has been drinking all night. :wacko:

If he has a great game maybe something will emerge, but I'm not big on most nicknames I liked TD for Terrell Davis but he earned it.

There is a national frozen pizza campaign from Tombstone Pizza. During the commercial, a guy dressed in french garb yells out "TOMBSTONE PIZZA PIERRE"...lmao..guess you had to be there hahahahaha...

I like Pierre Pressure though. Very nice.

There is a national frozen pizza campaign from Tombstone Pizza. During the commercial, a guy dressed in french garb yells out "TOMBSTONE PIZZA PIERRE"...lmao..guess you had to be there hahahahaha...

I like Pierre Pressure though. Very nice.

Maybe it only plays in the french areas of the country. :wacko: I haven't seen it here.

A side note on nicknames - it makes it very hard sometimes to do a search for a thread that might have information you're looking for if you don't know whether to search "Barber" or MBIII, or MB3 or whatever. Can we please list the guy's real last name at least once, especially in thread titles? It might mean fewer repetitive threads. :wacko: We now return you to your regularly scheduled nonsense.

I'm rolling with Piere over Fast Willie today. Even with Deuce now active, I think Pierre has a solid game.

I know you have all been on the edge of your seat waiting for me to inform you of that. :D

We get double-points for receiving TD's from RB's..................... :D:wacko::D

His audition is going well. In this world of two RB systems, he might be solid for the remainder of the season and MIGHT have some keeper potential for next year. :wacko: The kid looks good.

His audition is going well. In this world of two RB systems, he might be solid for the remainder of the season and MIGHT have some keeper potential for next year. :wacko: The kid looks good.

What do you mean might? They have noboby else, Deuce, Stecker & Bell are history.