[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do people hate Philip Rivers?

Capt. Stanky

It seems like this guy gets bashed, not just here, but everywhere. I personally don't understand it. The guy seems to carry himself pretty well. I actually can appreciate the trash talking he did in the playoffs last year. I personally would like to see more of it from the NFL's glamour position. Personally, I gained allot of respect for him when he played on that torn ACL against the Pats. I'm just curious what the deal is. Does it go all the way back to his days at NC State? If you are a hater, how much of his success this year do you attribute directly to him?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your avatar...I dislike rivers as he just comes off as too cocky. I attribute some of his success to the people around him (WR's, Gates, LT) and the coach (Norv turned that bum in SF into a respectable QB for 1 year before he left) then some to him too.

Edited by LayLow

Ryan Leaf with talent. There is a difference between competetive trashtalk and just plain being a punk. I'll agree that he has changed some, at least he accepts criticism and shares accolades now, sometimes. He just comes across as a guy that I would not like to play with/for.

Ryan Leaf with talent. There is a difference between competetive trashtalk and just plain being a punk. I'll agree that he has changed some, at least he accepts criticism and shares accolades now, sometimes. He just comes across as a guy that I would not like to play with/for.

Sorry bro but that is the dumbest comparison I have ever seen.

Rivers talks trash. Not a common occurrence for the QB position. He does it with a smile and cocky confidence. That gets under people's skin. I admit he has a "I just want to punch you" type face and comes across as having a bully demeanor (even if he isn't one).

Fantasy football owners prefer their trash talking QBs to be like Cutler. Talk trash, but look like you're going to cry while doing it. He usually has the "Mommy, he said something bad to me!" look on his face. Can't hate on such a pitiful look. You just feel bad that he'll probably be getting beat up after school again, but he'll be talking trash as he's taking punches.

Edited by Riffraff

I admit he has a "I just want to punch you" type face

Hehe, I don't know if there is a better way to put it. Dude seems like a punk and he has had tremendous talent around him so its hard to judge his true skill. A lot of QBs could look pretty good with LT, Gates, etc. on the field. But yeah, the guy just looks like he needs an a$$ kicking.

I don't hate him. I just think he's a jerk. Just look at how he behaves in games. He throws touchdown and then go to the opponent's bench and trash talks the players. I've seen him do it when players get hurt too.

You can like him if you like. I don't.

Bottom line, I think he acts like a punk when he's winning a game. When he is losing, he stops acting like a punk. Few people like those that gloat.

My problem with Rivers is when they are winning, he acts like a punk and runs around gloating like it's all on him. (While the rest of us see the talent around him)

And when they're losing, he fails to be accountable. This is not to say he blames other people, because that's completely different. He simply never has the sack to say things like "I made some mistakes" or "This one is on me" like Peyton and Favre will do when they lose the game. That's what being a team leader is, being able to take responsibility for your part in a loss, and move on to the next week.

Did Brett Favre look like he was having a little too much fun sometimes? Sure. But he was always first in line to be accountable when the team lost as well.

This is just my opinion from the games and press conferences I've seen. I'm sure he doesn't act like this every single week, but I think this is the main reason he has developed such a duche-bag rep around the league.

That and he has a "I just want to punch you" type face. :wacko:

It seems like this guy gets bashed, not just here, but everywhere. I personally don't understand it. The guy seems to carry himself pretty well. I actually can appreciate the trash talking he did in the playoffs last year. I personally would like to see more of it from the NFL's glamour position.

Then there probably isn't much point trying to explain it, but basically he's an ahole. If you don't get why people aren't big fans of that, again, you probably never will. To each their own. I've seen worse but he does need a good ass-kicking.

Edited by BeeR

Sorry to offend any Chargers' fans here but i live in SoCal and he's like their fans: they act like because they went 14-2 a year or two ago they have some sense of entitlement as if they actually DID something instead of losing their first playoff game that year.

Seriously, I went to the opener last year and not only were they talking weak smack like "Grossman sucks!" but when given even better smack back "Rivers just pulled a Grossman!" they'd get angry and threaten to kick my ass. Many of them are punks, just like their QB. And I know "punky QBs"... :wacko:

Sorry to offend any Chargers' fans here but i live in SoCal and he's like their fans: they act like because they went 14-2 a year or two ago they have some sense of entitlement as if they actually DID something instead of losing their first playoff game that year.

Seriously, I went to the opener last year and not only were they talking weak smack like "Grossman sucks!" but when given even better smack back "Rivers just pulled a Grossman!" they'd get angry and threaten to kick my ass. Many of them are punks, just like their QB. And I know "punky QBs"... :wacko:

That's some weak smack talk lol...I can pretty much figure out what type of fan your talking about. Its the same fans who go to battle when Oakland comes to town. Idiots.

I go to a sports bar here in Imperial Beach that is half Bears fans, half Charger fans with some Packer,Jets,Patriots and Steeler fans that make themselves known lol. Matter of fact, the Chicago crowd reserves the main HD TV in the dining section and pretty much take over. Its pretty fun to watch.

And when they're losing, he fails to be accountable. This is not to say he blames other people, because that's completely different. He simply never has the sack to say things like "I made some mistakes" or "This one is on me" like Peyton and Favre will do when they lose the game. That's what being a team leader is, being able to take responsibility for your part in a loss, and move on to the next week.

Did Brett Favre look like he was having a little too much fun sometimes? Sure. But he was always first in line to be accountable when the team lost as well.

I can only tell you that I've seen coverage of multiple post-game press conferences here in San Diego where he has stated very clearly that he made mistakes, needed to play better, and was a major reason for a team loss. The last time that happened was after the Atlanta game when his fumble in the second half squandered a scoring opportunity and gave the momentum back to the Falcons.

I can only tell you that I've seen coverage of multiple post-game press conferences here in San Diego where he has stated very clearly that he made mistakes, needed to play better, and was a major reason for a team loss. The last time that happened was after the Atlanta game when his fumble in the second half squandered a scoring opportunity and gave the momentum back to the Falcons.

+1

Rivers is ALWAYS accountable for his play. I don't understand why the hatred for a guy that plays with passion and, yes smack talks. LB's,DB's and DL do it all the time and yet it is accepted. Don't hate on the guy cause he's a QB that can dish it out.