[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do people hate Philip Rivers?

Capt. Stanky

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate him. I just think he's a jerk. Just look at how he behaves in games. He throws touchdown and then go to the opponent's bench and trash talks the players. I've seen him do it when players get hurt too.

You can like him if you like. I don't.

Bingo. When he is winning, he acts like a mouthy prick. When he is losing he acts like a big crybaby. I have him on several fantasy teams, but can't stand the way he acts in games.

+1

I think some of the people who don't care for Rivers have been beaten by someone like him. He conjures up bad memories...

:D:D

+1

Oh and... I don't hook that easily!

~~~~~ :wacko: ~~~~~~ :D

~~~~ :D ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :D

I guess I will just have to watch his press conferences more often. I have no problem with the trash talking though. I think it's kind of refreshing seeing it from a QB. I think he showed allot of grit in playoffs last year, and liked him as a sleeper this year. I was able to acquire him midseason in a 2QB Dynasty for Ronnie Brown (I now have S-Jax, Forte & MJD as my top 3 backs), and have been reaping the rewards ever since. As long as he keeps scoring pts, I could careless if he's an A-hole.

The problem that the old school lore has with him is that in their eyes, the QB is the spiritual leader of the team, even more so than the coach. The coach isn't in the huddle every play. Rivers doesn't always set a good example for his teammates to follow. Now some of the younger Charger players are probably going to think its really cool to be a punk. It is hard to make a case against trash talking. The amount of trash talking that goes on during games is absolutely eye-popping. There aren't really any good reasons that a QB shouldn't be able to partake in the banter, other than we like to hold quarterbacks to a higher standard than everybody else.

The amount of trash talking that goes on during games is absolutely eye-popping.

Agreed.

And the vast majority of fantasy players (and fans in general) never played a down, so they have no idea how much jawing goes on. Smack talk on the line, smack talk on the outsides, smack talk over the middle, smack talk before, during, and after every play. Three hours straight...

Agreed.

And the vast majority of fantasy players (and fans in general) never played a down, so they have no idea how much jawing goes on. Smack talk on the line, smack talk on the outsides, smack talk over the middle, smack talk before, during, and after every play. Three hours straight...

Smack talking is all fine between a LB and a RB or a OL and a DT. But for a QB to talk trash to another QB? Thats sort of weak, IMO.

Smack talking is all fine between a LB and a RB or a OL and a DT. But for a QB to talk trash to another QB? Thats sort of weak, IMO.

He didn't. :wacko: Urban legend. It was returned after Rivers was hopped up for his D. Cutler had more to do with it as RIvers. They just showed Rivers on TV. The whiney Cutler biatch got a pass 'cause it was during a time where there was a lot of piling on Rivers by everyone.

As for not wanting to play with him. You are a goof. His teammates love the guy!

He didn't. :wacko: Urban legend. It was returned after Rivers was hopped up for his D. Cutler had more to do with it as RIvers. They just showed Rivers on TV. The whiney Cutler biatch got a pass 'cause it was during a time where there was a lot of piling on Rivers by everyone.

As for not wanting to play with him. You are a goof. His teammates love the guy!

Come on.

I couldn't find the one of him when a player was injured but saw it real time.

Not sure where this talks comes from about Rivers not owning up to his mistakes.

Except for the incident with Cutler (which is based only on what the camera showed) this whole post is fabrication.

You wanna hate the guy, go ahead. Just don't pretend like you know what a terrible person he is or how much his teammates dislike him.

I obviously can't say I'm 100% right about this guy, but I can guarantee I've seen his entire NFL career, every snap, and I do not get the hatred.

Not sure where this talks comes from about Rivers not owning up to his mistakes.

Except for the incident with Cutler (which is based only on what the camera showed) this whole post is fabrication.

You wanna hate the guy, go ahead. Just don't pretend like you know what a terrible person he is or how much his teammates dislike him.

I obviously can't say I'm 100% right about this guy, but I can guarantee I've seen his entire NFL career, every snap, and I do not get the hatred.

I don't hate people(except maybe Jerry Jones and George W Bush).

I dislike classless behavior. The NFL wants its stars to show sportsmanship to be an example to parents and kids. This guy(and others) failed in that area.

I wonder how much in your face trash talking came from what the Patriots did in that playoff game. Rivers, Wilhelm and Phillips seemed to act the same.

I don't think LT likes it either.

Rivers talks trash. Not a common occurrence for the QB position. He does it with a smile and cocky confidence. That gets under people's skin. I admit he has a "I just want to punch you" type face and comes across as having a bully demeanor (even if he isn't one).

Fantasy football owners prefer their trash talking QBs to be like Cutler. Talk trash, but look like you're going to cry while doing it. He usually has the "Mommy, he said something bad to me!" look on his face. Can't hate on such a pitiful look. You just feel bad that he'll probably be getting beat up after school again, but he'll be talking trash as he's taking punches.

This is the best thing I've read in this entire thread. There have been numerous times I hoped that someone would just suckerpunch him. Being a Broncos fan, I don't think I need any other reasons to hate Rivers. He was an arrogant ass at N.C. State too. I feel like he is on the perfect team so I can hate on him as much as possible.

Are you talking with regards to FF?

Sure, Brees is better, but Rivers has had a fantastic year except for one game.

I hate Rivers and no I am not talking about FF. The Giants traded with SD to get Eli so the Chargers got Rivers. Eli > Rivers and Brees > Rivers IMO.

I hate Rivers and no I am not talking about FF. The Giants traded with SD to get Eli so the Chargers got Rivers. Eli > Rivers and Brees > Rivers IMO.

railing against a guy for things that have nothing to do with him. he's made two pro bowls. he'll make another this year.

eli refused to go to SD. who's the jackass? and while i greatly respect what eli accomplished last year down the stretch, that team won on defense.

there's no denying that. they were dominant. ...and i don't hate eli. he would not be the difference for the Chargers.

brees is now a terrific QB. but when San Diego targetted a QB very high in the draft (1st overall as a matter of fact) after brees had been in SD for three years, no one questioned it. no one. its just too bad that brees didnt' show enough until that point. and once a team takes a player that high, there's no going back. i would not desparage brees now, he's worked for what he's accomplished. but don't lessen Rivers' abilities because of brees's talents.

railing against a guy for things that have nothing to do with him. he's made two pro bowls. he'll make another this year.

eli refused to go to SD. who's the jackass? and while i greatly respect what eli accomplished last year down the stretch, that team won on defense.

there's no denying that. they were dominant. ...and i don't hate eli. he would not be the difference for the Chargers.

While it was an ahole thing for Eli and his dad to do, not many people can question or criticize it at this point...

Rivers may have had a good season but Brees is a cut above ...and i believe Brees has more leadership qualities and a sense the team would rally around him , than rivers does

+1 They were either unlucky or dumb letting Brees get hurt that last game. Until then I thought they would use Rivers as leverage to get him to sign then trade Rivers.

+1 They were either unlucky or dumb letting Brees get hurt that last game. Until then I thought they would use Rivers as leverage to get him to sign then trade Rivers.

on a complete side note, that was Marty who had Brees play that game. Marty who everyone thinks we were also dumb to let go.

You don't agree with everyone?

no. i was ecstatic when we got Marty because i thought he'd send us in the right direction, which he did. but i also said from the get-go that we'd never accomplish anything in the playoffs with him. he's too conservative.

and while this year hasn't been much fun, Norv did get us as far last year as Marty has ever been in his playoff life. the memory of Marty playing for a long field goal late in the 4th quarter in the 1st round vs. the Jets tells me he hadn't learned anything in all his years of disappointments.

OK, let me have it. :wacko:

Edited by rebdog

on a complete side note, that was Marty who had Brees play that game. Marty who everyone thinks we were also dumb to let go.

Marty made mistakes and that was a big one in my opinion.

AJ and Marty weren't getting along. But if you're going to fire him get someone better. What was AJ doing saying this team is so good even Norv Turner can win with them?

no. i was ecstatic when we got Marty because i thought he'd send us in the right direction, which he did. but i also said from the get-go that we'd never accomplish anything in the playoffs with him. he's too conservative.

and while this year hasn't been much fun, Norv did get us as far last year as Marty has ever been in his playoff life. the memory of Marty playing for a long field goal late in the 4th quarter in the 1st round vs. the Jets tells me he hadn't learned anything in all his years of disappointments.

OK, let me have it. :wacko:

OK. Keep Marty but get a creative OC/assistant HC that will take over when Marty retires(Jason Garrett type)?