[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas won't make the 2008 playoffs

Grits and Shins

Such a disappointment. So much talent. So much hope. So much hype, not so much coaching.

Tampa Bay is a virtual lock for 11 wins, no way Dallas wins out to win the H2H tie-breaker.

TAMPA BAY (9-4)

TBB @ ATL

TBB vs SDC

TBB vs OAK

Carolina will defeat Denver and probably the Saints as well.

CAROLINA (10-3)

CAR vs DEN

CAR @ NYG

CAR @ NO

Atlanta will be 9-5 minimum, if they defeat TBB this week (given their home record this is a good bet IMO) will be a virtual lock for 10-5, I don't see Dallas winning 2 out of the next 3.

ATLANTA (8-5)

ATL vs TBB

ATL @ MIN

ATL vs STL

Chicago should defeat New Orleans and Green Bay possibly even Houston ... they will be 9-7 or 10-6

CHICAGO (7-6)

CHI vs NOS

CHI vs GBP

CHI @ HOU

Minnesota is hard to predict ... they could lose all three or win all three (if the Giants are resting).

MINNESOTA (8-5)

MIN @ ARI

MIN vs ATL

MIN @ NYG

Philadelphia will defeat Cleveland and has a real shot at winning all three of their remaining games to be 10-5-1

PHILADELPHIA (7-5-1)

PHI vs CLE

PHI @ WAS

PHI vs DAL

Washington should win 1 if not 2.

WASHINGTON (7-6)

WAS @ CIN

WAS vs PHI

WAS @ SFO

Dallas might get one of the home games to finish 9-5.

DALLAS (8-5)

DAL vs NYG

DAL vs BAL

DAL @ PHI

CAR (12-3) wins the division

TBB (11-5) gets the first wild card

That leaves everybody else scruming for the last wild card and I see all these teams finishing ahead of the Boys

ATL (10-6)

PHI (9-6-1) or (10-5-1)

possible CHI or MIN as well.

Having lost a game they should have won to Pittsburgh I just don't see how they can get into the playoffs now. Obviously they MUST win the next two home games to have a chance.

Please fire doughboy Phillips.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phillips is gone. The team has taken on his persona and are underachieving. I've also come to the conclusion that Romo is probably as good as he is ever going to be.

Romo is a risk taker. Last season I thought the took too many chances but got away with them. If he can slow down a little and take fewer chances I think he can be better.

Actually all your analysis, while good, should be irrelevant - very possibly that the last game btwn Philly and Dallas is for the 6th seed....

At this point, all Philly has to do is win out and have Atlanta lose one game and they are in. This assumes that either Tpa or Car will be the 1st WC. If Tampa beats Atlanta this weekend, Philly is primed to run the table and get in.

Dallas will most likely be in a position that the last game will be either to get into a big tie at 10-6 (that they'll probably lose out), or possibly to go to 11-5...either way, if Philly beats them (after handling Cleveland and Wash), Philly is ahead

UPDATE

Big win for the Cowboys today against the Giants to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Washington's loss pretty much eliminates them.

Still looks to me like Dallas will need these things to happen to make the playoffs:

TB to lose at least one of their home games to SDC or OAK

ATL to lose BOTH of their games

PHI to lose at least one game probably the one against DAL in week 17

Tampa Bay is a virtual lock for 11 wins, no way Dallas wins out to win the H2H tie-breaker.

TAMPA BAY (9-5)

TBB vs SDC

TBB vs OAK

Carolina will likely probably the Saints.

CAROLINA (11-3)

CAR @ NYG

CAR @ NO

Atlanta will be a virtual lock for 10-5

ATLANTA (9-5)

ATL @ MIN

ATL vs STL

Chicago should defeat Green Bay possibly even Houston ... they will be 9-7 or 10-6

CHICAGO (8-6)

CHI vs GBP

CHI @ HOU

Minnesota is hard to predict ... they could lose both or win both (if the Giants are resting).

MINNESOTA (9-5)

MIN vs ATL

MIN @ NYG

Philadelphia will defeat Cleveland and has a real shot at winning all three of their remaining games to be 10-5-1

PHILADELPHIA (7-5-1)

PHI vs CLE

PHI @ WAS

PHI vs DAL

Washington should win 1

WASHINGTON (7-7)

WAS vs PHI

WAS @ SFO

Dallas might get one of the home games to finish 9-5.

DALLAS (9-5)

DAL vs BAL

DAL @ PHI

CAR (12-3) wins the division

TBB (11-5) gets the first wild card

That leaves everybody else scruming for the last wild card and I see all these teams finishing ahead of the Boys

ATL (10-6)

PHI (9-6-1) or (10-5-1)

possible CHI or MIN as well.

Having lost a game they should have won to Pittsburgh I just don't see how they can get into the playoffs now. Obviously they MUST win the next two home games to have a chance.

Please fire doughboy Phillips.

I'm still trying to figure out, does Philly gets the last wild card if they win their remaining 3 games or do they need help? :wacko:

need atlanta or tampa to lose 1 game. otherwise, they would be 11-5 and the best the birds could be is 10-5-1. i was not happy to see the cowboys win that game ... the giants look very average without plax and especially without jacobs.

I'm still trying to figure out, does Philly gets the last wild card if they win their remaining 3 games or do they need help? :wacko:

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.

2. The division champion with the second-best record.

3. The division champion with the third-best record.

4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.

5. The Wild Card club with the best record.

6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

10. Best net points in all games.

11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

9. Best net points in common games.

12. Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

8. Best net points in conference games.

9. Best net points in all games.

10. Best net touchdowns in all games.

11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

5. Strength of victory.

6. Strength of schedule.

9. Best net points in conference games.

12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

DETERMINING HOME-FIELD PRIORITY

1. To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

2. To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.

2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie moves down in drafting priority within its tied segment as follows:
    • For a loss inthe Wild-Card playoffs, a plus factor of one-half.

• For participation, win or lose, in the Divisional Playoffs, a plus factor of one.

• For a loss in the conference championship Game, a plus factor of one.

[*]Clubs with the best won-lost-tied records after these steps are applied will drop to their appropriate spots at the bottom of the tied segment. In no case will the above process move a club lower than the segmentin which it was initially tied.

[*]Tied clubs will alternate priority throughout the 7 rounds of the draft. In case of a tie involving three or more teams, the club with priority in the first round will drop to the bottom of the tied segment in the second round and move its way back to the top of the segment in each succeeding round.

If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

If Philly wins out they have a decent shot of making the playoffs. However, the best record they can achieve is 10-5-1 - which would knock Dallas and Chicago out of the playoffs. I put TB at 11 wins which means that ATL, PHI, DAL, CHI are all competing for the last spot. If Minnesota beats Atlanta and Philly wins out Philly is in.

Edited by Grits and Shins

If Dallas wins out they will have the #5 seed, no reason to think they couldn't do it after seeing last nights game. We play better against Philly in Philly then we do at home. This is going to make the Ravens-Cowboys game that much better when I come down there this weekend,.

At this point, Philly needs to win out AND have either Atlant or Tampa lose one game. If that happens, they would get the 6th WC over Dallas and whoever lost. If both Atlanta and Tampa lose a game and Philly wins out, they'd actually be the 5 seed and there'd be a scrum for the 6th. If Philly happens to lose, the chances of them making it are pretty slim as a lot of teams would have to lose a lot of games...

Was really rooting for Tampa as if they had won would have put Philly in the 7 spot now and just having to win out. Next week is the week as Atlanta goes to Min and SD plays Tampa. Following week I think it's the Rams for Atl and Oak for TPA....

Dallas obviously still in the mix - that last game against Philly could definitely be a "winner goes to playoffs, loser goes home"

If Dallas wins out they will have the #5 seed, no reason to think they couldn't do it after seeing last nights game. We play better against Philly in Philly then we do at home. This is going to make the Ravens-Cowboys game that much better when I come down there this weekend,.

Dallas has the tie-breakers on Atlanta already in the bag?

If Dallas wins out they will be 11-5

If Atlanta wins out they will be 11-5 (Minnesota will be tough to beat)

If Tampa Bay wins out they will be 11-5 (and TB should)

Obviously Dallas has H2H against TB

Dallas has the tie-breakers on Atlanta already in the bag?

If Dallas wins out they will be 11-5

If Atlanta wins out they will be 11-5 (Minnesota will be tough to beat)

If Tampa Bay wins out they will be 11-5 (and TB should)

Obviously Dallas has H2H against TB

Dallas was listed as the 6th seed and Atlanta was out until they beat TB yesterday :wacko:

Edited by T_bone65

At this point, Philly needs to win out AND have either Atlant or Tampa lose one game. If that happens, they would get the 6th WC over Dallas and whoever lost. If both Atlanta and Tampa lose a game and Philly wins out, they'd actually be the 5 seed and there'd be a scrum for the 6th. If Philly happens to lose, the chances of them making it are pretty slim as a lot of teams would have to lose a lot of games...

Was really rooting for Tampa as if they had won would have put Philly in the 7 spot now and just having to win out. Next week is the week as Atlanta goes to Min and SD plays Tampa. Following week I think it's the Rams for Atl and Oak for TPA....

Dallas obviously still in the mix - that last game against Philly could definitely be a "winner goes to playoffs, loser goes home"

I guess I'll have to be a big Vikings and Chargers fan next weekend assuming we can take care of business against the Browns tonight.

I guess I'll have to be a big Vikings and Chargers fan next weekend assuming we can take care of business against the Browns tonight.

Yep - I always root against the Bucs (except for this past wkend...which didn't work out), but usually root for the Falcons - now have to REALLY push for Min or SD while watching us torch Washington...

Could Minnesota get the #2 seed and 1st round bye?

A Carolina win over the Giants this week will capture the #1 seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs and Minnesota beats the Falcons at home this week. Tampa would have to lose one of their last two games.

Minneosta would than go against the Giants for the #2 seed.

Could Minnesota get the #2 seed and 1st round bye?

A Carolina win over the Giants this week will capture the #1 seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs and Minnesota beats the Falcons at home this week. Tampa would have to lose one of their last two games.

Minneosta would than go against the Giants for the #2 seed.

Yes that is true