[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach stereotypes

McBoog

I understand the whole W/L analysis, end game methods, losing the close games. But what I don't see is how the unknowing fan can reach into the heads of players and the dynamics of the locker room and make some of the statements they make. This is more of a look at sideline demeanor than a complete overview.

I am looking at this, clearly, from the perspective of a Charger fan. And though not as directly "connected" to the team as I used to be when I lived there, I still have a couple acquaintances that I talk to at times inside the organization.

Marty - Yeah, he won games in season. The feeling among players as related to me, is that he panicked during the playoffs and the players could feel it. Maybe it all goes back to "the drive" for him, but having a coach where you are "always the bride's maid", does not fly for too long. The players, sans a few (LT being one of them, he was VERY close to Marty) were getting tired of Marty's rah rah schtick. He eventually lost the Chiefs the same way. The Bolts under Marty fell behind and "came out flat" just as often as the current machination and had to have big second halves to work the records they posted with "The Gleam".

Norv - He tore the team a new a$$hole at halftime last week, they came out a different team and dominated. Personally, I don't think a coach should have to do this at the pro level. To me, he looks calm and focused on the sideline. He gets pissed at the right times and gets on the refs if he feels he needs to. Maybe calling the plays and being the head coach is too much for him, but I have seen very few game/time management errors. He was "stuck" with Teddy C. and Rivera is beginning to make the D, too late, resemble what they used to be, at least in style. Maybe it is game planning, in-week routines, or a lower key/calmer attitude towards preparation has made them "softer", but on the sideline, he looks like a steady, well prepared leader. His perceptions and the extreme emotion he creates confuses me.

Wade - I was pissed as a Charger fan he got away. I hoped he would be the HC. I am soooo glad that did not happen. He HAS destroyed the Cowboys. I look at him last night (and other games I have seem him in) and as a HC, he inspires NO confidence in me. He looks confused, perplexed, unemotional and ill prepared. He doesn't seem to interact much with the players and I am not sure if he is actually in charge. What is strange is that as a DC, he is totally different. I don't get him at all. Maybe he is the defensive version of Norv. Good coordinator, not so good HC.

Cam - A failure of a HC with a bad team. Or not. Does the Tuna have that much effect on the Fins? Would Cam have been just as successful if given another year? Based on how goofy he was last year, I don't think so. BUT, watching him take Wade's defense apart last night, he is clearly a quality OC. My hope would have been to keep Cam and bring Rex Ryan in as the HC. Those of you who have known me here on the boards know I was pullin' hard for Ryan. Yeah, they brought Norv in and I did some wishful thinking and tried to see the good side of the choice, but Ryan was my man.

I am still willing to give Norv one more season. I think that the Bolts were set up for a down season. They entered the season hurting and hd no continuity due to injuries on the O-line. They never really got the flow they needed. Is it coaching, injuries to five pro-bowlers on the O and the loss of Merriman and suspension of Cooper or a combination of both?

Some say he adopted a team with "Marty tough" and used his Norv smart to get them to the AFC Championship. Maybe this shows neither are the complete package. IF Norv fails again, I would like to see Rivera take over and bring back that attitude edge the team has lost. Why not give him a shot? There seems to be a lot of success with some of the newer HCs this year. Maybe the game has changed enough where we need to cycle in fresh coaching blood? It hardly resembles the game I knew as a child anymore.

Wade seems like the type that is way over his head and has no control. I'd like to see what it's like behind the scenes. It's probably not as bad as that. Only last year he was getting pats on the back on keeping TO in check.

Wade keeps some sort of team harmony because he lets the primadonnas run free. Parcells challenged them. Its either bring in a tough coach and upset the primadonnas or bring in a cream puff and have chaos. There is those coaches that arent technically players coaches but they are so good that they essentially become one. Jimmy Johnson as a Cowboys coach was one of them. Cowher is like that as well IMO.