[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson Fumble Issue

heehawks

I have to start a thread on this one. I think fumbling is actually becoming a problem for AP.

I've seen AP put the ball on the ground an exorbanant amount of times in the past 5 games.

I wonder if this is going to become a problem, if he continues dropping the ball, Minn will not win in the playoffs. Its really starting to be detrimental to the Vikes offense. Or, does his production outweigh the fumbles.

Has this topic even been adressed by Viking fans? Has he been working on it, like trying to wear a sleve?

Lastly, is it fixable?

I'd be really interested to see where he ranks in fumbles and fumbles lost this year.

Edited by heehawks

I have to start a thread on this one. I thinkfumbling is actually becoming a problem for AP.

I've seen AP put the ball on the ground an exorbanant amount of times in the past 5 games.

I wonder if this is going to become a problem, if he continues dropping the ball, Minn will not win in the playoffs. Its really starting to be detrimental to the Vikes offense. Or, does his production outweigh the fumbles.

Has this topic even been adressed by Viking fans? Has he been working on it, like trying to wear a sleve?

Lastly, is it fixable?

I'd be really interested to see where he ranks in fumbles and fumbles lost this year.

I am not making this comment with regard to AP but if TIKI could fix his problem then yes, FUMBLING is a fixable issue

He's not in the top 10 for this year, but I did not dig any deeper than that ... maybe MIN can sign A. Green to work with him on that aspect of his game?

JaMarcus Russell · OAK 11

J.T. O'Sullivan · SFO 11

Joe Flacco · BAL 11

Kurt Warner · ARI 10

Matt Schaub · HOU 10

Tony Romo · DAL 10

Ben Roethlisberger · PIT 10

Ryan Fitzpatrick · CIN 10

Brett Favre · NYJ 10

Aaron Rodgers · GNB 9

Derek Anderson · CLE 9

Among the top 10 RBs in att/fum:

Turner - 373 touches/2 fum - 186 touches per fumble

AD - 339/6 - 56

Portis - 318/2 - 159

R Grant - 280/3 - 93

T Jones - 295/2 -148

LT - 307/1 - you do the math

Marshawn - 286/2 - 143

Chris Johnson - 276/1

MBIII - 282/6 - 47

So, yeah, among other workhorse backs, AD is the bottom of the barrel with MBIII as far as putting the ball on the ground. 3rd worst is Grant, who gets nearly TWICE as many touches per fumble...and then you start getting into guys who are getting 3x as many touches per fumble.

I recall Eric Dickerson being another elite back who had a rep for laying in on the ground. For his career, he had 3277 touches and 78 fumbles, a fumble for every 42 touches. Notorious fumbler Ahman Green has 2390/37, a fumble every 64 touches. Barry Sanders was 3414/41, a fumble every 83 touches.

AD - 339/6 - 56

Portis - 318/2 - 159

R Grant - 280/3 - 93

T Jones - 295/2 -148

Marshawn - 286/2 - 143

Chris Johnson - 276/1

MBIII - 282/6 - 47

So, yeah, among other workhorse backs, AD is the bottom of the barrel with MBIII as far as putting the ball on the ground. 3rd worst is Grant, who gets nearly TWICE as many touches per fumble...and then you start getting into guys who are getting 3x as many touches per fumble.

I recall Eric Dickerson being another elite back who had a rep for laying in on the ground. For his career, he had 3277 touches and 78 fumbles, a fumble for every 42 touches. Notorious fumbler Ahman Green has 2390/37, a fumble every 64 touches. Barry Sanders was 3414/41, a fumble every 83 touches.

Excellent info Chavez! Thanks!

AD - 339/6 - 56

Portis - 318/2 - 159

R Grant - 280/3 - 93

T Jones - 295/2 -148

Marshawn - 286/2 - 143

Chris Johnson - 276/1

MBIII - 282/6 - 47

Count how many times he fumbled and the Vikes recovered it. I think the number would be in the double digits.

is he fumbling as a result of a refusal to go down and he just has to fight for extra yardage?

I think that has a great deal to do with it. It takes multiple players to bring him down, he's always fighting for extra yards, and today's defenders are trained that if they're the second man in to rip at the ball. Plus, when Peterson is fighting for those extra yards the ball comes away from his body, exposing it to any good hit—not just an intentional strip.

That said, it's certainly not the only problem. Yesterday he and T-Jack muffed a handoff (fumble was "credited" to Jackson) and another fumble came when OT Bryant McKinnie's hand bumped Peterson as McKinnie was lead blocking. The Minnesota media talked about Peterson's fumbling problems this week and their solution (if you can call it that) was that Childress was aware of the problem and nobody was harder on AP and his fumbling than his dad. So, problem fixed, I guess.

Given that Peterson spent last offseason working on his pass protect because he believed that to be a weakness, I would expect him to put the same amount of effort this offseason into finding a cure for his fumble-itis. What that entails (a call to Tiki, running through a gauntlet four hours a day, teaching his body to secrete SuperGlue out his forearms) I don't know.

2V