[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Challenging a play

MrTed46

A player from the Vikings caught a pass and ran towards the endzone he dove and CLEARLY was down at the 1 yard line but the refs signaled TD and the Falcons coach did not challenge. Well this sparked a big debate at my house and I want to hear opinions. To make matters extreme please use the following example:

Let's say your homer team gets scored on in the first offensive play of the game. Clock shows only 25 seconds of the game has gone by so there is pretty much 4 full quarters to play. Let's say after the replay, you CLEARLY (100% not 99.9%) see that the player was down at the 1 yard line and did not score. If your homer team coach would challenge, it would win and the ball be placed on the 1 so it will be 1st and goal.

Would you want your homer team coach to challenge and make the other team earn the TD?

OR

Would you save your challenge because it is probably that the other team is going to score anyway?

I vote for the 1st and throw the challenge and make the team earn the 7 points. I understand a coach only gets 2 challenges (3 if won both), but I can't see me saying ok lets save the challenges eventhough he didnt score.

This decision has gone down a 50/50 split in my house and am curious to see your opinions. Please leave fantasy football whoring out of this and keep it to actual football.

if it's first and goal at the one and early in the game (first half) I probably don't, especially if the team has a good offensive line and running back.

If it makes it third and goal (like last night in the CAR/NYG game) I challenge. On first or second down I'd do it if the team has a problem with short yardage situations. Or if it's in the second half (and I have another challenge left) or if the game is a low scoring affair and points are at a premium, or if my defense is ridiculous good.

Let's say after the replay, you CLEARLY (100% not 99.9%) see that the player was down at the 1 yard line and did not score. If your homer team coach would challenge, it would win and the ball be placed on the 1 so it will be 1st and goal.

If this was the case (100% certainty), then of course you challenge, since you wouldn't lose an opportunity to challenge later.

If this was the case (100% certainty), then of course you challenge, since you wouldn't lose an opportunity to challenge later.

you potentially do lose a chance to challenge if your next challenge is wrong

i think it depends on the teams def and the short yardage game of the offense, so game to game it differs

The thing is, you MAY lose a later challenge opportunity since you'd have one left (two if you win the second one as you'd then get a third). Nevertheless, I'd challenge anyway - you can't just give away TDs.

Yeah...I thought Smith should have challenged the call yesterday. It wasn't 3 minutes to go in the game and you just wanted the ball back and the time. So what if they'd have been on the 1 yard line. Make them earn it. What if AP fumbles? (He does fairly often) What if your defense pulls off a goalline stand? (big confidence booster) And statistically......how many games do coaches end up using both challenges?

Yeah...I thought Smith should have challenged the call yesterday. It wasn't 3 minutes to go in the game and you just wanted the ball back and the time. So what if they'd have been on the 1 yard line. Make them earn it. What if AP fumbles? (He does fairly often) What if your defense pulls off a goalline stand? (big confidence booster) And statistically......how many games do coaches end up using both challenges?

I agree 100%. What a moral booster if your Defense stops them AND if they don't you are back to square one.