[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

meatloaf

Bier Meister

3 lbs lean ground beef

1 c ketchup

1 tbs kosher salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tbs soy sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3 - 3 1/2 c bread crumbs

3 eggs

1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

1 medium onion (small dice)

1 lb bacon

preheat oven to 350

In large mixing bowl, using hands, gently knead together all ingredients except bacon, until just combined. transfer mixture to a 13 X 9-inch glass baking dish and mound into a 12 X 6-inch oval loaf. Spread bacon strips over loaf and bake until meat is firm and bacon is well done, about 1 hour.

i've done a lot of variations of this:

bbq: add 1-2 c bbq sauce instead of ketchup and 1 c of either gouda or cheddar

italian: use 2 lbs beef, 1 lb ground pork. add 1-2 c of marinara instead of ketchup. add 1 tbs of rosemary, 1 of thyme, 1 tsp of fennel. finish with slices of mozz or provolone

messican: use salsa instead of ketchup, cumin, chili powder. chipotles. cilantro, 1-2 peeled, diced jalapenos, diced tomato

asian: hoisin instead of ketcup; cilantro. chopped peanuts, green onion

Edited by Bier Meister

I fancy myself a meatloaf connoisseur and Bier's recipe(s) indeed sound delicious. I guess I'm a "purist" and have found that 1 egg and 1 cup of bread crumbs per lb of ground beef is still super tasty as basic as it sounds. I usually add some Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste before putting in the oven.

Man, this is makin' a brotha hungry. :wacko:

Man, this is makin' a brotha hungry. :wacko:

I love me some meat loaf. Bier and I were talking about this in Vegas and he said he had some purty good ones and would post 'em. I will try this one this month...maybe Super Bowl! Yum, yum....I could meat loaf for every meal...really.

I have gotten myself involved in a Meatloaf Throwdown (fo you Food Network fans).

Basically came to my wife raving about my version of BBQ Meatloaf and my buddy talking up his wife's meatloaf. Somehow a challenge was issued and another couple is going to judge. No date set yet.

Variations I have done:

Basic - use the Lawry's mix and direction - easy to make in a pinch

BBQ - basically sweat some red onion and garlic and use BBQ sauce as the wet binder

Stuffed Italian - use preferred pasta sauce as the wet binder, and basically make half the meat loaf, layer in sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni and top with remaining half of meatlof mix. use italian seasonings in the meat mix. top with a little sauce and cheese at end of baking.

• 3 weeks later...

So as a single guy, I am still on the meatloaf kick. 1/2 turkey and 1/2 lean ground. I have made about 5 different variations since bier posted this. I think I have a problem!

Have tried asian, bar-b-que, italian, even did a greek one with olives and feta!

some other asian variations:

- sweet and sour: use either a homemade or store bought sweet and sour sauce, small diced red green and yellow peppers, small diced onion, small chunks of pineapple.

- could use a peanut sauce... i know i've posted a peanut sauce in here somewhere.

- could go with oyster sauce.

- teriyaki: pick your fav teriyaki sauce, green onion, pineapple chunks

when i was about ten, i used to make burgers with oyster sauce, sometimes soy, sometimes sweet and sour, and sometimes teriyaki (still make these).

Having meatloaf, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts tonight.

Then will need to spend about 2 hours at the gym...... then have a leftover meatloaf sandwich

There were no leftovers and I didn't make it to the gym. I was starving when I got home so polished off two heaping plates of food. Good stuff. Toilet got the brunt of it this morning.

I will have to do that teriyaki meatloaf. One of my wife;s new favorite dishes is a teriyaki based burger with the grilled pineapple on top, so this is a logical dish to do. What sides do you suggest with this?

I will have to do that teriyaki meatloaf. One of my wife;s new favorite dishes is a teriyaki based burger with the grilled pineapple on top, so this is a logical dish to do. What sides do you suggest with this?

ginger/wasabi mashers.

some other asian variations:

- sweet and sour: use either a homemade or store bought sweet and sour sauce, small diced red green and yellow peppers, small diced onion, small chunks of pineapple.

- could use a peanut sauce... i know i've posted a peanut sauce in here somewhere.

- could go with oyster sauce.

- teriyaki: pick your fav teriyaki sauce, green onion, pineapple chunks

when i was about ten, i used to make burgers with oyster sauce, sometimes soy, sometimes sweet and sour, and sometimes teriyaki (still make these).

AWE MAN BIER!!!!! Just when I was slowly tapering myself off!!! :wacko:

Gonna have to try the teriyaki this weekend, maybe tonight!

• 3 weeks later...