[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys 2009 Offseason

no one

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isnt a better option than Romo and I believe him sending the punt team off the field yesterday when Wade sent them on the field is exactly what is wrong with him. He has this I can do all attitude, and his reigns need to be jerked back in a bit and make better decisions

They got the first down. :wacko:

There isnt a better option than Romo and I believe him sending the punt team off the field yesterday when Wade sent them on the field is exactly what is wrong with him.

I thought at the time he was dead right and Wade was dead wrong. Cowboys couldn't afford to punt.

I thought at the time he was dead right and Wade was dead wrong. Cowboys couldn't afford to punt.

Doesn't matter who was right or wrong. Romo took the team from the head coach/OC, and basically said "I am running the play-calling".

While admirable on the surface, no team can survive this type of inner-division. Head coaches make bad decisions every game....its not up to the QB to challenge those decisions in front of the whole team. Certainly not a QB with a track record of choking away his teams playoff dreams.

Doesn't matter who was right or wrong. Romo took the team from the head coach/OC, and basically said "I am running the play-calling".

While admirable on the surface, no team can survive this type of inner-division. Head coaches make bad decisions every game....its not up to the QB to challenge those decisions in front of the whole team. Certainly not a QB with a track record of choking away his teams playoff dreams.

I agree with what you say but the fact remains that Romo was right to want to go for it on 4th down and did get it. Punting would have been ludicrous in the 'Boys situation.

All this demonstrates is that Phillips is a crap HC and Romo has some clue what's going on. I am very happy to hear that Jerry the Prostitute is still saying Wade will be back in 2009.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

FWIW, Romo is the future for this franchise. We are going to have to deal with his spotty play and hope experience helps him.

No way we lose this kid, he is too valuable to this team, and there simply are not better options available.

Interesting you call him "kid"....he'll be 29 in April.

And I think there are other options available...Matt Cassel would be one, just off the top of my head. I also think a two-year stop-gap (like Warner has been in ARZ, and Pennington is in MIA) is a much better option than relying solely on the hope that Romo can suddenly stop turning the ball over and get smarter with his decision-making.

Again, for the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with Romo. The media glitz of his personal life put him on the map, nothing else. He played well his first few games under center when there was no film on him....an offseason of watching his tendencies exposed him last year and this as a QB prone to making bad throws/decisions under pressure.

He has not gotten better than his 1st start...arguably, he has regressed.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Minny wouldn't be the only suitors by a long shot. I can't believe all these knee-jerk "get rid of Romo" posts. The guy just needs decent coaching that emphasizes situational awareness but doesn't kill his obvious abilities.

Edit: It seems to have escaped the notice of Dallas fans that at least a dozen teams don't have an NFL caliber QB.

You, sir, have hit the nail squarely on the head. It is easy to say that Dallas should get rid of Romo if you don't consider how you will replace him. We saw how well the team performed with Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger and I will take Romo over them 1000 out of 1000 times. Furthermore any QB acquired at this point would take years to develop which means he will be behind the curve of the talent on this team. Lastly Jerry wrote a very large check to Romo which means he tied the hands of the Cowboys at that position.

Romo is loaded with talent ... I don't think anybody is arguing that he is not. He just needs a firm coach to take a hold of him instill discipline and teach him game situations.

This Dallas team will not operate under bus driver type QB.

I think we should get rid of Owens and run with Roy Williams, Crayton and Miles Austin.

And I think there are other options available...Matt Cassel would be one, just off the top of my head. I also think a two-year stop-gap (like Warner has been in ARZ, and Pennington is in MIA) is a much better option than relying solely on the hope that Romo can suddenly stop turning the ball over and get smarter with his decision-making.

Again, for the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with Romo. The media glitz of his personal life put him on the map, nothing else. He played well his first few games under center when there was no film on him....an offseason of watching his tendencies exposed him last year and this as a QB prone to making bad throws/decisions under pressure.

I still think the jury is still out. There are a lot of QBs that were tabbed chokers that couldnt win the big one over the years who ended up turning things around with some experience. McNabb had this tab for a while and while he has no rings to show for it he certainly has had playoff success in his career. The other Is Peyton Manning. I am not comparing the 2 per se but I am comparing the tab. Manning threw a million picks in his first years as a starting qb. It is possible that Romo can turn it around with a good coach and as he matures. I do believe that. A guy that has the tools shouldnt be discarded as easily as you are suggesting.

In the half season "where they had no film" he took a dead team to the playoffs. In the season after where they "Had film" he lead the Cowboys to the top seed in the NFC and broke almost every passing record the Cowboys had. While I agree with you that if he keeps on this pace they will be hard pressed to succeed I for one am willing to take my chances on him for at least a few more years.

Edited by whomper

Romo's biggest problem that I've seen is when he gets down on himself too quick and seems to not be able to dig himself out of it...

or tries too hard to dig himself out of it and gets careless. I don't get paid the big bucks in this regard so what the hell do I know, but Romo seems to have the raw talent, just needs help to harness it.

If you get rid of Romo, then who steps in? [Mr Cliche]NFL QBs do not grow on trees.[/Mr Cliche]

e2a: Guess I should have read the rest of the thread. :wacko:

Edited by Gunther

I still think the jury is still out. There are a lot of QBs that were tabbed chokers that couldnt win the big one over the years who ended up turning things around with some experience. McNabb had this tab for a while and while he has no rings to show for it he certainly has had playoff success in his career. The other Is Peyton Manning. I am not comparing the 2 per se but I am comparing the tab. Manning threw a million picks in his first years as a starting qb. It is possible that Romo can turn it around with a good coach and as he matures. I do believe that. A guy that has the tools shouldnt be discarded as easily as you are suggesting.

In the half season "where they had no film" he took a dead team to the playoffs. In the season after where they "Had film" he lead the Cowboys to the top seed in the NFC and broke almost every passing record the Cowboys had. While I agree with you that if he keeps on this pace they will be hard pressed to succeed I for one am willing to take my chances on him for at least a few more years.

Well said and I agree, give Romo a chance to work through this.

Is it possible that the mic in his helmet was telling him to go for it and he was just signaling for the punt team to go back off the field?

I did not see Wade call for the punt and am just wondering if it is not an issue of Romo going against the coach or OC????

Was anything written or published explaining what really happened?

HBTC, I think you might be the most level-headed Cowboys' fan on these boards.

:D you mean the same who sounded like he was going to walk off a bridge a couple weeks ago when they lost to the steelers?

They got the first down. :wacko:

true, but then a couple plays later he fumbled and philly ran it in for a TD.

O line

Started the year protecting very well then got slow and old really quick. If they cant protect Romo who is terrible at protecting the ball that is a recipe for disaster. Not sure who needs to go and who stays but an upgrade is needed

I try not to post pissed off but had a few last night..

Romo is Dallas' QB next year and for the foreseeable future for better or worse. I'm happy with that.

JJ said friday that Wade was'nt going anywhere regardless of what happened Sunday and he said the same thing today. FWIW.

Whomp, as far as I know the O-Line is signed through at least 2010.

and FWIW I would send Carrie packing for Jessica too but that's just me. :wacko:

At that point if Holmgen is looking to get back in Jerry should give him the keys to the store.

Romo-

Talented and young

Good touch passer and makes plays with his legs when needed

Terrible at protecting the ball

Highly questionable decision making skills. He is from the Favre school of chuck into coverage and pray rather than throw it away or take a sack

Comes up small in big games

As for Romo I agree he needs real coaching. Even Favre benefitted from it.

I was thinking of this comparison the other day. Not that Romo has Favre's natural talent, but the similarities between the two are pretty obvious. Brett needed Holmgren to develop him into a QB. Romo desperately needs somebody to fill that role.

I can't believe all these knee-jerk "get rid of Romo" posts.

It's like listening to sports talk radio.

Three seasons as a starter in the NFL, including a 4,200 yds (64%) and 36 TDs last year. Yeah, he's hopeless. :wacko:

Since Jerry Jones just gave Romo a massive contract earlier this season, he ain't going anywhere. And even if cutting him wouldn't result in a massive cap hit, Matt Cassel would be a massive downgrade, not an upgrade.

The Cowboys (not just Romo) need competent coaching. They won't be worth a d@mn until that changes.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I think Cassell is your typical "system QB" and would flop elsewhere...somebody's gonna pay him loads if he hits the market and they will likely be disappointed...

Romo has 6 or 7 quality years ahead of him. Cassel is a joke, just a clueless comparison.

Romo is the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, the peak of the sports world. The media attention for Dallas dwarfs any football team by a mile.

Romo played pretty well trashing the Birds secondary in week 2. But lets not let facts get in the way of your point.

Yesterdays game can not all be put on Romo. I remember Philly fans saying its over for Donovan and Reid just a month ago. How soon we forget?

Dallas has as much if not more talent than any team in the NFL. But there are no excuses for what we saw yesterday. Philly came to play and Dallas didnt. Bottom Line.

As a Boys fan, I am pretty stoked about the teams future. They will undoubtedly sign some FA, keep the ones they want, and have a ton of picks to improve this roster. This with the rookies of this year and this team has a ton of potential. Its time to realize it and play as a team. Sounds easy, but clearly this year they didnt, where last year they were 13-3 and the #1 seed, before the Giants buzz saw roled into town.

Romo has 6 or 7 quality years ahead of him. Cassel is a joke, just a clueless comparison.

Romo is the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, the peak of the sports world. The media attention for Dallas dwarfs any football team by a mile.

Romo played pretty well trashing the Birds secondary in week 2. But lets not let facts get in the way of your point.

Yesterdays game can not all be put on Romo. I remember Philly fans saying its over for Donovan and Reid just a month ago. How soon we forget?

Dallas has as much if not more talent than any team in the NFL. But there are no excuses for what we saw yesterday. Philly came to play and Dallas didnt. Bottom Line.

As a Boys fan, I am pretty stoked about the teams future. They will undoubtedly sign some FA, keep the ones they want, and have a ton of picks to improve this roster. This with the rookies of this year and this team has a ton of potential. Its time to realize it and play as a team. Sounds easy, but clearly this year they didnt, where last year they were 13-3 and the #1 seed, before the Giants buzz saw roled into town.

the only problem I see in Romo is how he's ended his 1st 3 seasons....pretty much all 3 were playoff games and he dropped the ball in all of them...

it seems as if he's at the point where he goes into a big game like that and tells himself that he can't screw up etc. etc. instead of going out and making plays.....he's focusing on the negative...

but playing with TO and company, it's hard to fight all the negativity with a flyswatter...

First of all let me say this. Romo is our QB. And he will be our QB for some time. For all his faults let me remind a few of you that this kid broke the Cowboys all time passing yards mark AND has already thrown for more 300 yard multiple touchdown games then ANY Cowboy QB in History.

He also makes mistakes. Mistakes that he should have learned from. Especially, the fumble from behind while looking down field. I wonder if he is so focused on making a play that he refuses to give up on a play until they sack him or he fumbles. He must understand that thowing the ball away is a great play sometimes. Considering the alternative fumble for a touchdown, he must learn to be more patient and live to throw another down.

I must say I love the kids work ethic, he in a gym rat, a study rat and has a great attitude. Romo will come around I promise you that and when he does, that will be a season to see. Baring injury this kid is going to rewrite the Cowboys history books as well as the league.

His talent is very obvious for anyone to see. I don't blame him for Roy Willaims lack luster route running and not having the sense to look back on a hot read. Happened on the pick in Philly and I don't believe he understands where he is suppose to be. Unlike Witten who is always where Romo expects him, the rest of the WR need to be on that page as well.

Romo will lead this team to the Superbowl in the next 3 years. I believe that.

However, in order for that to happen, the defense needs a leader. An alpha dog if you will. James is not him. Hamlin makes to many mistakes to be him. Ware doesn't have the temperment to be him. Ratliff is too quite to be him. We need our Ray lewis equivalent. Someone who can fire up this D. I saw a passionless effort in Philly.

I am confident that this years injury riddled year hindered the cohesiveness the team needs to come together in December.

That performance in Philly was very puzzling though. It almost seemed as though they just didn't have anything left for this game and Philly was fired up by the last minute foot they shoved into the door with Oakland's win over Tampa.

What to do in 2009.

Draft or trade for Safety. As we saw you can't have enough Corners and Secondary players.

Fire or replace the Special teams coach. There is no excuse for the special teams to poor when you have playmakers on it who are young, fast and hungry.

Get some battles going in camp on O line. There is no reason we shouldn't have found backups for Tackle and Guard by now. The one nice thing about having a stable O line for a few years is that you have time to develop backups and sort out players that can step in and ones who can't. Proctor should have been better or someone should have been able to take Kosier spot without missing a beat by now.

Running game should be awesome next year. If healthy we have three very solid backs.

WR's has me buggared. I don't understand how they aren't as prolific as they should be. I have to believe another year together with Austin's speed, TO and Roy's size, and Crayton's underneath skills AND Witten pressing the seam they should be unstoppable. Really. They should look like a Manning run Colts team at some point.

Must have a backup QB. BJ and Bollinger must go. We need to get a solid backup. I would love to see if Farve would be willing to play backup to Romo. No excuse to have had BJ at backup and not to have figured out he could not be the guy in training camp. He cost us a playoff spot this year for sure. Totally useless as a QB in the NFL. Of course no team in the league can survive their starting QB going down and not lose some ground.

I saw the beginning of a lights out D and a very explosive O this year. Then the injuries took it's toll. That's how I see it. Another year and more talent in the draft will surely put Dallas in a good position for years to come.

09 could be the year if we can avoid the injury bug for the most part.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Ok, let's compare a guy who just finished his second full season to a guy who hasn't started a football game since high school:

Tony Romo: 3446 yards, 26 TD's, 14 INT's

Matt Cassel: 3693 yards, 21 TD's, 11 INT's

OK, so Romo was injured and missed a few games, but Cassel is 2 years younger, and did a helluva job filling in with no training camp and no experience since high school, based on that I'd say you calling the comparison clueless makes you like clueless. :wacko:

Ok, let's compare a guy who just finished his second full season to a guy who hasn't started a football game since high school:

Tony Romo: 3446 yards, 26 TD's, 14 INT's

Matt Cassel: 3693 yards, 21 TD's, 11 INT's

OK, so Romo was injured and missed a few games, but Cassel is 2 years younger, and did a helluva job filling in with no training camp and no experience since high school, based on that I'd say you calling the comparison clueless makes you like clueless. :wacko:

And remember, they hardly threw the ball in NE during Cassel's 1st two games so he could get his feet wet. His numbers are really for just 14 or so games, too.

Romo INT's are exceptionally disturbing.

No sure how you can say any comparison is "clueless"? :D

Giants Homer here.

I would like nothing better then no changes in big D. Sure keep telling yourself Romo has all these 300 yard games, and you have all this talent but they were injured. IMHO you'd be better off with Romo passing a lot less and running the ball more. The problem with Dallas and the rest of the east is that division is so hard now, you cant play with inconsistency. Thats the Dallas issue, no consistency no discipline.

If this coaching staff doesn't change, I cant see Dallas changing much. I was actually rooting for Dallas to win vs the eagles since i new they would keep wade and begin another year of dysfunction.

With Dallas losing and Wade staying this is the best possible outcome for the rest of the NFC east.

I feel bad for my Dallas fan friends (I have a few), the window in the NFL is so short and every year of Wade is an anchor for your franchise.

See above

yes, the media in Dallas dwarfs New York, Boston, Philadelphia.... :wacko:

If I remember correctly, wasn't it Romo's poor decision-making (INT, fumble) early in the game that actually kept the Eagles in the game? Had there not been a bobbled exchange by Westbrook/Mcnabb late in the 4th quarter that led to the winning Cowboys TD, that game would have ben another Romo gift.

The reason there is so much speculation that McNabb is gone is because he only has one-yaer left on his contract, and his signing bonus applied against the cap expired this year. If they trade/cut him, they save a ton against the cap. That's a genuine business discussion that still needs to be worked out. The Reid speculation was just that, but certianly nowhere near the level that Wade has inspired.

There is no question Dallas has a ton of talent. But they have perhaps the worst GM in the league who's ego will prevent him from replacing himself, a lame-duck coach, and zero-chance at team chemistry as long as everyone is walking on eggshells in the locker room.

You can have the best race car in the world, but if your driver and mechanic are fektards, you will likely never cross the finish line.