[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mangini Gone

Easy n Dirty

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a completely different team. Just as Favre lead a completely different team to the NFC Championship Game.

So, it's OK to give Pennington a pass for sucking so badly that he got benched (using your O-line excuse), but we must ignore the fact that Favre had success in 2007 on a better-coached team? Gotcha. I suppose that we should also ignore the fact that part of the Jets' inability to run the ball in '07 was Pennington's noodle arm encouraging the opposing defense's SS to stack the box.

Pennington was successful this season because he played on a functional, competently-coached team where he was expected to simply manage the offense. Favre did not. And I use the word "successful" hesitantly, as 19 TDs is still pretty weak.

Jenkins was great in Carolina, injuries nearly killed his career, and he had a really good first half in NY this season. Too bad he disappeared with the rest of the Jets D down the stretch.

And you want to pump up Pennington based on what? 19 TDs? Have fun spinning that one.

I completely agree that Favre bit it down the stretch, but your assertion that the Jets would've been a better team with Pennington this season is dubious at best. He'd be playing in the same system where he failed miserably before, facing 8 men in the box because he struggles to throw the ball 20 yards downfield. Dude's a system QB with a noodle arm who can't make plays. No way that he beats the Pats in the OT shootout game. Nor does he beat Miami or Arizona. They arguably wouldn't have even been contenders entering this month without him. I'll bet you think that Matt Cassel would've taken the Jets to the Super Bowl. :wacko:

I'm not trying to make Pennington out to be some sort of saviour here. He has severe limitations, and the speed of the RB's in the Miami offense really helps hide his glaring weakenesses. Bottom line, he still took a 1 win Miami team that had basically the same roster, especially on the front seven and O line to a division title. The outside speed that RW and and RB have keeps defenses honest. But, the Jets failure to use Leon in those roles is part of the Jets collapse too. That part of it is back on the coaching staff.

Pennington just made few mistakes, while Favre single-handedly gave games away. I haven't seen so many awful unforced INT's since Namath at the end of his career. If Pennington is as awful as you say... how is it Miami beat the crap out of the Pats, beat the Jets handilly on the road and won the division?

I'll judge them based on this:

The Jets have more talent, on the O line, at the WR spots and at TE.

Pennington took the likes of perennial pro bowlers like Ginn, Camarillo and David Martin and STILL managed 19 TD's?

Pennington- Division Championship

Favre- Choked when it counted. Need I mention that pick 6 on a screen pass Favre threwagainst Miami? A D lineman, 10 feet away... no pass rush... Farve hits him in the numbers.

End of story, time for bed.

I hope Mangini gets another shot... the way Belichick did, the way so many other coaches have, but he had better break this habit of inflexabilty, or he'll end up like Herm Edwards. A coach stuck in his own system, his own worst enemy, and doomed to repeat his failures.

That part of it is back on the coaching staff.

I agree. If I had to single out any one person, it would be Mangini. He has control over the rest of his staff and he calls the plays.

Pennington just made few mistakes, while Favre single-handedly gave games away. I haven't seen so many awful unforced INT's since Namath at the end of his career.

I agree. He was horrible at times. That said, I haven't seen Pennington overcome a bad defensive performance to win a game in a good four or five years.

If Pennington is as awful as you say... how is it Miami beat the crap out of the Pats, beat the Jets handilly on the road and won the division?

Because the Dolphins are a better TEAM than the Jets. They're better-coached and their players execute better.

The Dolphins were 21st in the league in pass attempts and resorted to running the freaking Wildcat offense. Clearly, Pennington was not some sort of play-making bad-ass that catapulted the Dolphins into the playoffs. He was a manager whose strengths were accuracy and limited mistakes. And that's a testament to Parcells: he knew Pennington's limitations and worked around them.

Pennington took the likes of perennial pro bowlers like Ginn, Camarillo and David Martin and STILL managed 19 TD's?

19 TDs isn't impressive at all, no matter what turds are catching those passes.

Pennington Dolphins - Division Championship

Edited for accuracy.

I can understand your frustration with Favre. He was awful down the stretch. That said, Pennington was a complete bust in the Jets offense and had to go. The Jets didn't have the defensive talent (or defensive coaching talent) to sustain a super-conservative run-heavy offense, so they needed a play-maker at QB. They decided to take a risk on Favre. It didn't work out.

Hopefully you'll get your wish and Favre will retire. It's time.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm not trying to make Pennington out to be some sort of saviour here. He has severe limitations, and the speed of the RB's in the Miami offense really helps hide his glaring weakenesses. Bottom line, he still took a 1 win Miami team that had basically the same roster, especially on the front seven and O line to a division title. The outside speed that RW and and RB have keeps defenses honest. But, the Jets failure to use Leon in those roles is part of the Jets collapse too. That part of it is back on the coaching staff.

Pennington just made few mistakes, while Favre single-handedly gave games away. I haven't seen so many awful unforced INT's since Namath at the end of his career. If Pennington is as awful as you say... how is it Miami beat the crap out of the Pats, beat the Jets handilly on the road and won the division?

I'll judge them based on this:

The Jets have more talent, on the O line, at the WR spots and at TE.

Pennington- Division Championship

Favre- Choked when it counted. Need I mention that pick 6 on a screen pass Favre threwagainst Miami? A D lineman, 10 feet away... no pass rush... Farve hits him in the numbers.

End of story, time for bed.

I hope Mangini gets another shot... the way Belichick did, the way so many other coaches have, but he had better break this habit of inflexabilty, or he'll end up like Herm Edwards. A coach stuck in his own system, his own worst enemy, and doomed to repeat his failures.

You will have to excuse Rover man. He has always had man love for Pennington and despises Herm Edwards with a passion. The Herm thing, I'll never get because from a playoff perspective the Herm era was like the glory days if you look at the Jets sad history. I can understand liking Chad because he's a ra ra likable guy but make no mistake Chad was part of the solution in Miami this year definately not all of it. QB's always get too much of the blame and too much of the credit. The Dolphins are all about system and coaching. If we upgrade our personnel....watch out. This Wildcat gimmicky crap will only fool NFL defenses for so long.

As for the Jets they ended up what they should have....9-7. The problem with the Jets is they peaked at 8-3 after beating the Titans and got everyone excited. As it turns out...they rounded into form and flopped like they usually do.

You will have to excuse Rover man. He has always had man love for Pennington and despises Herm Edwards with a passion. The Herm thing, I'll never get because from a playoff perspective the Herm era was like the glory days if you look at the Jets sad history. I can understand liking Chad because he's a ra ra likable guy but make no mistake Chad was part of the solution in Miami this year definately not all of it. QB's always get too much of the blame and too much of the credit. The Dolphins are all about system and coaching. If we upgrade our personnel....watch out. This Wildcat gimmicky crap will only fool NFL defenses for so long.

As for the Jets they ended up what they should have....9-7. The problem with the Jets is they peaked at 8-3 after beating the Titans and got everyone excited. As it turns out...they rounded into form and flopped like they usually do.

News flash fish man: ALL Jets fans hate Herm the Werm. He is a liar who preaches honesty as his most valued character trait, he is a horrible coach and regularly offers up bodies on the sacrificial altar to save his own hide, but that is an old story, try to keep up, OK?

The glory days of the Jets? That was when they were in the AFL, before you were born.

Pennington played mistake free game manager football for the Phins. With the player additions the Jets had this year, I believe he could have done what he did for the Dolphins for the Jets this year. That isn't a stretch, it's a reasonable, albeit subjective opinion.

I don't need to be excused, especially by you. :wacko:

Mangini was terrible.

He was in over his head from day one. He couldn't decide what he wanted to be. One minute, he's a strict diciplinarian, the next he's giving guys extra days off. He couldn't motivate a starving person to eat.

He is awful at player development. I cannot think of one player on the Jets roster who has gotten better under Mangini. Not one.

He makes no in game adjustments whatsoever. I don't think he actually called the plays, but he is ultimately responsible for the poor playcalling.

I've had enough of the "earn while you learn" philosophy. No more rookie head coaches - please.