[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DET not worst ever

BeeR

Worst in W/L column yeah. But they were competitive and/or nearly won about half their games. I can remember other teams who did worse throughout the season overall, even though some might have snuck 1 or 2 wins in there. Just saying I think their level of play overall this year was not the worst ever.

I think losing by 2 scores is or can be competitive too, eg 31-21. That's a pretty close game IMO (there are exceptions of course like if they get some garbage pts at the end).

I know they were really bad. But worst ever? I remember that TB team for ex and I think they had maybe 2 or 3 games that weren't slaughters.

The 76-77 Bucs lost 26 straight games and scores far fewer points, and had far more points scored against them. Of course, they were an expansion team... but still, Lions aren't the worst ever. It's just the same mentality as crowing the player/team you are watching as "best ever" simply because it is what you are currently watching, not the history you know about.

The 76-77 Bucs lost 26 straight games and scores far fewer points, and had far more points scored against them. Of course, they were an expansion team... but still, Lions aren't the worst ever. It's just the same mentality as crowing the player/team you are watching as "best ever" simply because it is what you are currently watching, not the history you know about.

The Bucs were the worst. After losing 26 in a row they won 2 and both head coaches of those two teams were fired. For me that is the worst.

For the record they did play hard but due to Millen didn't have the talent or the coaching talent to win.

Yup, that TB team was the worst ever, and it's not even close. This Detroit team might be in the top 5 worst ever, but that TB team set the bar so low.... they will never be eclipsed.

I think it's more the mentalty of "wow, they didn't win a single stinking game, they REALLY suck".

I think it's more the mentalty of "wow, they didn't win a single stinking game, they REALLY suck".

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that part. But when people want to start going farther and say they are the worst ever, it get's out of hand. A few games they could have won if not for some bad luck.

My brother in law is a CT-bound Lions fan and we have a lot of great discussions about them.

no team is more of a joke, more of a pitiful discrace than the Oakland Raiders. not the players, but the brass. That will NEVER change as long as Davis keeps the reigns. Or breathing for that matter.

DET could've gone 0-47 for all i care. Raiders are a disgrace to the league and make me embarrassed that I'm a football fan. And I'm not even a raiders fan.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that part. But when people want to start going farther and say they are the worst ever, it get's out of hand. A few games they could have won if not for some bad luck.

My brother in law is a CT-bound Lions fan and we have a lot of great discussions about them.

well, it's kinda like the discussion of BEST team ever. I mean, I really don't think the 72 phins were necessarily a better team than the 89 niners or 85 bears. but you really can't give the crown to anyone else because they're the only team that never lost. perfection sorta trumps all other arguments.

That Bucs team was before my time so forgive me Lion fans but when you 0-16 you deserve to be called the worst ever. Spin it any way you want but a goosegg for an entire season is just dreadful. The Fish last year were pretty bad but much more competitive that the 08 Lions. Another team that comes to mind that was really bad and poorly coached was the 06 Raiders. They had some individual talent but were a mess.

Despite the record there are a few teams I would consider worse during this season. The Rams, Browns & Bengals all come to mind.

I would not consider any team worse this season. You put the rams against any one of those teams this year and the Lions are losing. Period.

That Bucs team was before my time so forgive me Lion fans but when you 0-16 you deserve to be called the worst ever. Spin it any way you want but a goosegg for an entire season is just dreadful. The Fish last year were pretty bad but much more competitive that the 08 Lions. Another team that comes to mind that was really bad and poorly coached was the 06 Raiders. They had some individual talent but were a mess.

Ever's a long time. Just shorten it to the worst record. Or the worst in my lifetime.

I do remember the Bucs. They scored 125 points in 14 games, less than 9 points a game. The Lions averaged almost 17.

If the season was 16 games they would have lost every one. Trust me. I saw them play. :wacko:

I don't know how the Oakland Raiders can't come up in this conversation.

First team to ever lose 11 games in six consecutive seasons....

Before the last two impressive victories, I honestly considered the Raiders the worst team in the NFL.

I still haven't completely ruled them out...

You took the bait...

Ever's a long time. Just shorten it to the worst record. Or the worst in my lifetime.

I do remember the Bucs. They scored 125 points in 14 games, less than 9 points a game. The Lions averaged almost 17.

If the season was 16 games they would have lost every one. Trust me. I saw them play. :wacko:

Plus the Bucs then followed it up with 12 straight losses the following season. Not sure if they won their preseason games though, and after all, the Lions WERE perfect this pre-season! :D

I think the Rams were probably worse than the Lions this year. They were just in a division with 3 really good teams as opposed to the NFC West.

This was about as tough a schedule as I've ever seen for the Lions this year. They got the NFC South (no teams with a losing record) and the AFC South (Jacksonville the only team with a losing record), two each vs. their own division, the 49ers, and the Redskins. That's 12 games out of 16 against opponents at .500 or better. If they got to play in the AFC West or NFC West, I think they'd have found a way to win at least one game this year. But then again, the Lions have seemingly re-written the book on futility this season, especially on defense. I'm real interested to see how things shape up for the NFL Draft for the Lions.

Quite a few records in futility set this year...

DET is the obvious one.

OAK ended on a bit of high note but as mentioned above just set a record in consecutive season losing futiliy unmatched by even some of the historically abysmal franchises.

KC... eesh. They made an art form of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory all season. They quietly smashed the record for fewest sacks in a 16-game season with 10 beating the previous low of 13. KC had 10 games without a sack. Meanwhile the guy they traded away singlehandedly outsacked his entire former team by 4.5 sacks. 2008 Chiefs were a case study on what a pass rusher means to a team... I would not be surprised if Allen's absence was probably the difference in 3 or 4 Chiefs' losses.

Edited by kingfish247

They don't deserve to be called the worst ever because they aren't. How can you admit you know nothing of that TB squad and still make that statement? Why even mention that putrid Phins team of '07?

That TB team was soooo bad for soooo long that the NFL had to rewrite how expansion franchises would be created. No potential owner in their right mind would ever pony up the $ for an expansion franchise unless the TB fiasco would NEVER be repeated. That TB team was so bad, existing owners agreed to leave some very good players available to future expansion teams. That team was so bad, the NFL bylaws were changed. Name ONE other major sport that changed their bylaws to prevent another embarrassment like that TB team.

Detroit isn't anywhere close to that TB disaster. The only rule Detroit might get changed is that it's OK to blackball a guy like Millen for life.