[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cohwer tells the Browns No

Randall

EREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.

Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's received permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England.

Lerner admitted he's interested in Mangini, who began his career here under Bill Belichick. Lerner also said there's a chance Crennel could remain with the Browns as an assistant coach.

Lerner said he met with Cowher in New York.

"I got word that he was available for an informal conversation because he was very aware I had him at the top of the list, getting involved with the Browns," Lerner said. "He wanted to tell me personally that he did not anticipate coaching in 2009. I wouldn't say Bill Cowher was the first choice, but I would say Cowher was the clear, no-questions-asked, guy you wanted to ask where he stood."

Lerner said the two never even discussed any financial aspects.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...hes_not_in.html