[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

calling Cowboy fans

LooGie

My father in law is a die hard cowboys fan. And one of the biggest jerks on the planet. When they lose, we avoid him and his temper tantrums. When they win, we can ask for money and get it. He's like that. Anyway, barring the circumstances I could never ask him this without a family fight.

How do you feel about Romo? I know last night's loss wasn't his fault, but you have to admit, he really is taking on the look and feel of a the ultimate choke artist. Or maybe you disagree. I honestly am curious.

It seems like every big game (and there were many for Dallas this year) he managed to look like a turd out there. Some the team won in spite of Romo. Others they lost tragically. I can't remember a "must win" spot where Romo played like...well...a starting QB, much less like a top 5 or 10 QB that's highly paid. I believe Romo is a top 5 qb in the NFL, but I also believe you need to have another QB on staff for big games.

Maybe i'm wrong. I didn't get to watch nearly as many cowboy games this year as I'm usually forced to watch by my in laws. But as a football fan, you KNOW I saw every big Cowboy game, and everytime, Romo crapped the bed.

I still think the jury is still out. There are a lot of QBs that were tabbed chokers that couldnt win the big one over the years who ended up turning things around with some experience. McNabb had this tab for a while and while he has no rings to show for it he certainly has had playoff success in his career. The other Is Peyton Manning. I am not comparing the 2 per se but I am comparing the tab. Manning threw a million picks in his first years as a starting qb. It is possible that Romo can turn it around with a good coach and as he matures. I do believe that. A guy that has the tools shouldnt be discarded as easily as you are suggesting.

In the half season "where they had no film" he took a dead team to the playoffs. In the season after where they "Had film" he lead the Cowboys to the top seed in the NFC and broke almost every passing record the Cowboys had. While I agree with you that if he keeps on this pace they will be hard pressed to succeed I for one am willing to take my chances on him for at least a few more years.

From the other thread. Jury is still out IMO

I'm not a 'boys fan, so I can't comment, but will say that I'm avoiding him in FF.

i think you'd be nuts to avoid him in FF. His ceiling is so high he almost warrants 2 spots.

As for "the other thread" i didn't see it. I tried to find one, as I knew there would be one, but figured it was buried long ago. Sorry if this is reposta

i think you'd be nuts to avoid him in FF. His ceiling is so high he almost warrants 2 spots.

As for "the other thread" i didn't see it. I tried to find one, as I knew there would be one, but figured it was buried long ago. Sorry if this is reposta

No worries. Romo is being discussed in the 2009 off season thread

The guy is in his second full year as a starting NFL QB. For the Very meda popular Dallas Cowboys no less. He will have his bumps and buises just like all the other very good QB in this league. Manning, Elway, Mcnabb, all had thier times in the sun while most in the fog of loss after big loss in big games. Mcnabb has yet to hit the promised land and if I were to call out a choke artist it would be him.

The NFL is so hard to win. So many things have to go right for a great season. Last year we avoided the injury bug and this year we couldn't avoid it. Everyone except T.O. seemed to be bothered by something. That told me we would have a tough time making it very far this year. That and all the off the field crap that went on.

You really need two QB's in this league. That 3 game stretch when Romo was down cost us the playoffs like it knew it might.

Romo is very very good and will learn someday that throwing the ball away and avoiding hits and fumbles is as good a play sometimes as the ones he pulls out of his arse. He is still learning that. When and if he does he will be even that much more dangerous.

Personally, I love the kid. I love the guys attitude and work ethic. He is very smart and has all the ability you want in your starting QB. The sky is the limit for this kid and seems to be learning more and more as I watch him.

I think this loss is may be what the team needs to address some of it;s problems. We need more passion and heart to play in this league. I believe 2009 is going to be a good year for this boys team. Another year for these very talented rookies and fill the Safety hole, this team will be very hard to beat with Romo at the helm.

I am worried more about why this team seemed to be unprepaired and uninspired this week. Or why didn't we know this kid Tashard Choice could do what he did? Why was the team surpised? They seemed to do a great job drafting solid talent but then surprised when they go out at play make.

An offseason with TO and RW, Austin, and Witten and Felix and Romo could spell trouble for defenses next year. We will see.

funny I consider choking 3 NFC CHamp games in a row, then the Super Bowl the next year crapping the bed.

Romo will be fine. Manning hadnt won a playoff game at this point in his career. I think Romo has the tools to be a great QB, but the decision making needs to be addressed, and soon. Dallas will again be one of the most talented teams in the NFL next year. Which team will we see 13-3 or 9-7. If healthy, I say closer to 13-3 and a division winner.

The guy is in his second full year as a starting NFL QB. For the Very meda popular Dallas Cowboys no less. He will have his bumps and buises just like all the other very good QB in this league. Manning, Elway, Mcnabb, all had thier times in the sun while most in the fog of loss after big loss in big games. Mcnabb has yet to hit the promised land and if I were to call out a choke artist it would be him.

The NFL is so hard to win. So many things have to go right for a great season. Last year we avoided the injury bug and this year we couldn't avoid it. Everyone except T.O. seemed to be bothered by something. That told me we would have a tough time making it very far this year. That and all the off the field crap that went on.

You really need two QB's in this league. That 3 game stretch when Romo was down cost us the playoffs like it knew it might.

Romo is very very good and will learn someday that throwing the ball away and avoiding hits and fumbles is as good a play sometimes as the ones he pulls out of his arse. He is still learning that. When and if he does he will be even that much more dangerous.

Personally, I love the kid. I love the guys attitude and work ethic. He is very smart and has all the ability you want in your starting QB. The sky is the limit for this kid and seems to be learning more and more as I watch him.

I think this loss is may be what the team needs to address some of it;s problems. We need more passion and heart to play in this league. I believe 2009 is going to be a good year for this boys team. Another year for these very talented rookies and fill the Safety hole, this team will be very hard to beat with Romo at the helm.

I am worried more about why this team seemed to be unprepaired and uninspired this week. Or why didn't we know this kid Tashard Choice could do what he did? Why was the team surpised? They seemed to do a great job drafting solid talent but then surprised when they go out at play make.

An offseason with TO and RW, Austin, and Witten and Felix and Romo could spell trouble for defenses next year. We will see.

You would be smart to get rid of T.O. while he has some value. The Cowboys lack chemistry and T.O.'s one of the biggest reasons why. If they don't improve their chemistry and make some changes with their coaching staff they will be continue to be underachievers and mediocre.

This is not bashing, he is simply a moron. He is not smart or focused enough to be very successful. He is nothing more than a latter day Rob Johnson.

It does bring me great joy to know that he plays for the cowboys.

The second part of that is exactly why even mentioning the first part is just a cop out. Dude turned the ball over 9 times in the last 4 games. Some maybe not his fault but come on... 9 times in 4 games... down the stretch? Brad Johnson was weak to say the least but he's not the reason the Boys are at home watching the playoffs. I'll give him a chance but my concern is not his ability. My concern is his winning or rather losing percentage in the last quarter of the season. I live in Tampa and I've been watching the Cowboys and Bucs do the same thing for a couple years now... lose when it really matters. When that's happening somebody has to go. I'm not saying it's the QB(actually I am in Tampa Bay's case, among others) but someone's head has to roll.

This is not bashing, he is simply a moron. He is not smart or focused enough to be very successful. He is nothing more than a latter day Rob Johnson.

It does bring me great joy to know that he plays for the cowboys.

Please, you will eat these words, I promise you that. This kid is as smart as they come AND when he gets it, and he will, he will be so dangerous. It takes a few years in this NFL to understand what it takes to win consistantly and in big games. He is quite capable of becoming an on the field coordinator like Manning. He studies that much and when he gets to the point he feels the status to take charge of His offense and His teamates he will and be very good even great. He is still young in this league. Matt Ryan and Flacco will find out this league is not this easy as this year seams. Now that the league has tape, I suspect both will fall hard next year like Derek Anderson. Watch.

You will only wish he was not starting when and if we face your team in the coming years. Mark my words. This kid has what it takes to be great and time will prove my words.

One more thing. You all seem to forget how hard it is to win in this league. I mean everything has to go just right at the right times to win it all. Remember Big Ben and his first year. When was the last time they were in the Superbowl? How many times has Payton Manning been to the superbowl? Mannning should be their every year with the talent they have right? New England went perfect up until the SuperBowl then lost the big one.

I mean winning in the NFL requires talent, injury avoidance, limited outside distractions, good coaching and a little luck. Playing for Dallas is not easy. I mean the media loves to widdle you down all year long, teams make their season every Sunday when playing Dallas. Yeah that might be a little arrogant but the facts are the facts. Teams get up to play the Cowboys like no other team other than maybe New England and Pitt. They measure themselves against us. Maybe that is what the current Cowboys don't quite get yet. When you have won as many SuperBowl as the Cowboys and the media hype that revolves around the Cowboys, deserved or not, you have to be ready every week to rise and play like a Cowboy. A five time SuperBowl Champion franchise with a star on the side of the helmet.

You don't here about the Titans as lead story on sportcenter. You here about what is going on in Dallas.

So before we get to disappointed and throwing our best players under the bus remember there is only one team each year that is remembered for winning the big one. One team. Now by my calculations the Cowboys have struggled for many years now with QB's that can't throw for 300 yards and 2TD's on a regular basis nor win in the regular season or the playoffs for over 10 years now. So I suggest we count are blessing and start supporting our team and coaches and see what happens. As I said before, it is damn hard to win in the NFL and when you don't it becomes even more difficult because of the pressure to win.

I have to believe that a team that is capable of going 13-3 with lesser talent then this year is still capable of doing it again or better yet doing it when it counts given another years experience. I believe the talent is there and if we can just get the chemistry on this team to put it together for one year week in and week out they will win the big one.

I have been watching football a long time and it seems like to win the Superbowl something has to happen during the season that pulls the team together for the final push. I recall, Tennesse and the Music City Miracle. Or Buffalo's comeback against Houston. Warner's greatest show on turf then gets kicked to the curb thinking he doesn't have it anymore. Ask Arizona if they think Warner is washed up. I recall Indy with their coaches son dieing and they then finally put it together and win the big one. I don't mean that someone has to die or anything but something has to happen to pull the team together and force each and every one of them to look beyound themselfs for a single purpose. That isn't easy in a world of me first attitudes, fan and media pressure, and big money contracts. All we can do is hope the owner or GM will be willing to get and pay good talent and coaching. We have that for sure, in an owner that is willing to do what ever he can to put the talent on the field to win. For all his faults, he wants to win as much was we all do, to the point he can't get out of his own way sometimes. I say we count our blessings and look forward to another Cowboys season with hope that only say 1/3 of the league has in any given year.

By the way, every player has to pay his dues to win in this league. Ask Elway, Manning, Aikman, Montana, Young, and the list goes on. The NFL is the best of the best in pro football and don't for one thing believe talent is the only thing that wins. You need only to look at Miami to see that.

I just hope we can put it together one time before the window slams shut and talent gets recycled over again and we go on another QB search. In the end Hope is what we are left with and NOT expectations, and at least we have that most years when many teams don't.

Cowboyz1. True, it's hard to win in this league. But the lack of a winning record in December for a decade, no playoff wins in a decade+, losses in the last nine season finales say something--regardless of the cast. Somehow, teams with 'less' talent (e.g. the Dolphins, the Titans, the Falcons, to name a few) found ways to get it done down the stretch when it counted.

The Cowboys do not do this. Haven't done it since Jimmy Johnson's (upstart at the time) crew left. This franchise must be broken down to it's foundation and rebuilt with players who put the game ahead of their own interests. The current cast would rather chase tail on the sideline or down in Cabo, spout off at coaches and cry for the ball more after being targeted 20 times in a lossl, or slap around Jones' paid help in a nightclub at 3am. This is not a team--it is a circus. And all reports are that they plan to head into next year with the same players and coaches, but Wade will be 'different' this time. Please.

As has been said, the fish rots from the head down. Dallas is stuck with Jerry Jones, who didn't learn his lesson from the first 'hard knocks' debacle, and invites another. Basically saying: Here NFL, we will simultaneously give our players and coaches a big fat distraction during the pre-season, and at the same tim hang a GIANT BULLSEYE on our backs for the rest of the league. He is more interested in bringing a Super Bowl to Dallas with the lure of a new stadium than he is to have the Dallas Cowboys go to one themselves.

I wish Jerry would wise up, forget this "America's Team" bullshiat, step aside, and let actual professionals handle the football decisions for this franchise. Not gonna happen, I know.

I have a confession to make here. I watched the whole game, and I rooted for the Eagles during the second half--not because I like them, but because they played like a professional franchise and not a bunch of crybabies. I figured the worse it got, the better the chance that Jones might come around to a different way of thinking about how his team is built. Alas, it is not to be--looks like they will pretty much look the same next year. Even if they start strong, at some point they will become fat and happy yet again, and be taken down by a hungrier franchise.

I root for the Star, and for players like Witten, Barber, Ware and James (to name a few). Heck, I obviously hope Romo can turn it around. Perhaps, I still chase the ghosts of Cowboys past. Probably. However, I do not root for Jerry Jones. If this franchise is to achieve what we 'hope' for, it will be in spite of Jones, not because of him.

Meh, Rant off. As Jerry has been known to say recently, Cowboys fans always come back around in the spring. Season's Beatings, indeed.

P.S. For the sake of my family in Memphis, and for Steeler and Giant haters everywhere...GO TITANS!

Edited by CowboysDiehard

Manning hadnt won a playoff game at this point in his career.

Depends on how you define career.....Romo was signed as an undrafted FA for the 2003 season so this would be his 6th season.

In Peyton Mannings 6th season, 2003, I believe he won 2 playoff games before losing in the AFC Conference finals.

Edited by myhousekey

Please, you will eat these words, I promise you that. This kid is as smart as they come AND when he gets it, and he will, he will be so dangerous. It takes a few years in this NFL to understand what it takes to win consistantly and in big games. He is quite capable of becoming an on the field coordinator like Manning. He studies that much and when he gets to the point he feels the status to take charge of His offense and His teamates he will and be very good even great. He is still young in this league. Matt Ryan and Flacco will find out this league is not this easy as this year seams. Now that the league has tape, I suspect both will fall hard next year like Derek Anderson. Watch.

You will only wish he was not starting when and if we face your team in the coming years. Mark my words. This kid has what it takes to be great and time will prove my words.

You are dummerer than Romo

In the topsy-turvy world of the present day Cowboys, Romo may not pan out in the long run. I think he lost a good mentor to the Dolphins in David Lee. He diffently needs another strong qb coach to help him settle down and refine his game. But if all things stay the same, he may be a lost talent. But I have and will continue to use him in fantasy football for the foreseeable future.

You are dummerer than Romo

Ok polk, you ready to put some arse behind those words.

I'll give you your pick, ANY of the other 31 QB's in the league and I take Romo. Whom ever has the better stats at the end of the year wins.

Pick a horse and well work out the details of stats and bet.

One more thing. You all seem to forget how hard it is to win in this league. I mean everything has to go just right at the right times to win it all. Remember Big Ben and his first year. When was the last time they were in the Superbowl? How many times has Payton Manning been to the superbowl? Mannning should be their every year with the talent they have right? New England went perfect up until the SuperBowl then lost the big one.

I really REALLY disagree here. Yes it is hard to win in the league, but not when you're built to win. Indy has won 10 game in how many seasons? Straight?

Peyton just went to the superbowl 2 years ago and is in the playoffs again. The giants won the SB last year and are one of the strongest teams in the NFL this year.

NE barely missed the playoffs and they lost BRADY in week 1 for crying out loud.

Sure it's hard to win every game. But everything doesn't have to go perfect to win. Everything has to go perfect to win every game. But not to have a winning record or make the playoffs.

It wasn't chance that PIT went 15-1 w/ Ben as a rookie and then won the superbowl the next year. It's not chance or luck when people like Parcells have never had a losing record 2 years in a row. It isn't chance when teams like DET haven't won in god knows how long.

It's not really that hard to win when you're built right, coached right and employing the right players.

so aside from the chance that Romo just needs to learn better ball control and is apparently getting a free pass just because it's "his second full year as a starting qb" what say the fans about him deflecting blame to the OC after the loss? He didn't outright say it, but it was apparent and certainly insinuated.

about him being only a second year starter, come on! That's so ridiculous its not even funny. He's been in the league like 6 years. Maybe even 7. He had a half a season after Bledsoe and isn't still learning the system or other such nonsense. He's easily a top 5 QB any day of the week when the season isn't on the line or in front of a national audience. You can't claim he's still a youngster. That's just blind homerism.

Ok polk, you ready to put some arse behind those words.

I'll give you your pick, ANY of the other 31 QB's in the league and I take Romo. Whom ever has the better stats at the end of the year wins.

Pick a horse and well work out the details of stats and bet.

I am a Steelers fan. Would you like to compare and contrast Romo's first few years with Big Ben's?

I think Romo is a solid, talented QB but please stop making excuses for this guy. He is playing on a incredibly talented team and has an AWESOME suppoorting cast around him. How many QB's in this league would love to have a solid O-line, Barber, Jones, Choice, TO, R. Williams and Witten at their disposal? C'mon, from top to bottom it doesn't get any better than that so stop whining cowboys!

And don't talk to me about dealing with the pressure of playing in Big D with all the media coverage. Pressure is when you're Peyton Manning and trying to win a SB to justify your greatness. Pressure is when you're McNabb playing QB in Philly and fans start booing after you've thrown your first pass. Pressure is when your Eli Manning playing in NY trying to live up to your last name.

In Dallas it's all about excuses and finger pointing. It's TO, it's the coaches, it's Jerry Jones, it's the media. Guess what? It's the players and Romo deserves a ton of bashing. Just imagine what would happen if MacNabb played like Romo did last week???