[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Larry Johnson

i_am_the_swammi

Off-field issues aside, the guy is a beast when used as such, and with the mileage kept to a minimum this year, I think he can be a monster in the right situation next season. The question is, does KC trade him, and who are the likely suitors?

Seattle -- underachieved due to a plethera of injuries this year. With a healthy Hasselback and Walter Jones returning, and assuming Branch/Engram/Hackett can start the year in one piece, and a stud-to-be in Carlson, Seattle could surprise in a weak NFC West. Give them a running game to open things up, and LJ could be a monster there.

Cincy--they need a RB to replace what Rudi meant to them when their offense was clicking. He seems like a good fit running/catching the football in this dynamic offense, and could provide the stability needed in this tough running division.

Cleveland-- see Cincy above; Jamal Lewis can't run forever. A true running game would open things up for Edwards/Winslow, and with the weather a mess in the AFC North multiple games a year, they need a sound running game.

Tampa Bay -- maybe the best fit? Gruden loves a solid ground game, and would give LJ the rock the 20-25 times he desires. He is also a no-nonsense coach who got the best out of Antonio Bryant this season, and could likely keep Johnson in line. With Caddy likely done, Dunn anotehr year older, and Graham not a guy who can take the pounding 25 times a game, TB seems perfect for LJ to revivie his career.

I'm weighing LJ's keeper status and thinking of making a move for him in a league, based on his upside next year. Does KC move him, especially with Charlesthe heir apparent? Will LJ always be a "bad" guy?

Discuss.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

As long as Herm Edwards is running the show, LJ is worthless IMO. So yes, as an LJ owner in a dynasty, I'm hoping he gets moved. I'm not holding my breath though. It's clear the Chiefs have steered away from a running team and will continue on that path next year. I'm just not confident that they make a sound team decision and trade LJ away. That being said, Seattle would be a MAJOR score for FF owners. Speaking of Tampa, I just sent away Earnest Graham and his 7 year contract to another owner as an add-on in a dynasty league trade...LJ going to the Bucs would make him squirm.

From an article discussing the potential of a new team, this sounds like it will make a trade very difficult

A trade may be difficult though, as Johnson signed a five-year, $43 million extension - $19 million of which was guaranteed - prior to the 2007 season and may also be facing disciplinary action from the league.

Didn't Tampa just sign Graham to a contract comparable to a starter?

It was good money but not overwhelming although not sure of how much was guaranteed. It sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult to cut him if the contract was detrimental to the team...

:wacko:

Graham and the team agreed to a four-year, $11 million contract extension, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. He will apparently play his 2008 season under the previously scheduled base salary of $600,000 and will get three more years and about $10.5 million added to his deal.

Cleveland-- see Cincy above; Jamal Lewis can't run forever. A true running game would open things up for Edwards/Winslow, and with the weather a mess in the AFC North multiple games a year, they need a sound running game.

Discuss.

the problem here is that it's the opposite. We used the passing game in 07 to open up lanes for Lewis. In 08, that passing game stunk up the place but Lewis still reached 1,000 yards.

Two others off the top of my head...

Saints... not the most likely with Pierre and Bush. Bush can't seem to stay healthy and Pierre probably isn't a 16 game starter.

Patriots... they get good output from their platoon of RBs but a rock solid starter would be huge for that offense. See e.g. 2004 Corey Dillon. As with most Patriots player acquisitions the sticking point would be his contract. He'd probably have to be willing to redo his deal.

Edited by kingfish247

Two others off the top of my head...

Saints... not the most likely with Pierre and Bush. Bush can't seem to stay healthy and Pierre probably isn't a 16 game starter.

Patriots... they get good output from their platoon of RBs but a rock solid starter would be huge for that offense. See e.g. 2004 Corey Dillon. As with most Patriots player acquisitions the sticking point would be his contract. He'd probably have to be willing to redo his deal.

I don't think the Saints will be looking to sink that much money into the position. I've heard talks about Ward from the Giants & Mike Bush is an interesting option as well.

I don't think the Saints will be looking to sink that much money into the position. I've heard talks about Ward from the Giants & Mike Bush is an interesting option as well.

It would be a lot but LJ would probably have to redo his contract if he really wants to leave KC.

I don't know of any team that would be willing to trade for and/or take on his current contract given his issues... 30 next year, developing a bit of a reputation as a malcontent, and already has at least one disciplinary strike.

If you notice, he is the one who is saying he wants out of KC. This places him at a disadvantage in negotiations with whomever might be interested. This is exactly the type of situation that a franchise with any management that's worth a damn would be willing and able to take advantage.

Edited by kingfish247

I would think based on his contract and his legal issues, the Cowboys would be a perfect fit. Other than that, the probability of him being dealt seems fairly low.

Based on his off-field behavior, the Cowboys would be a perfect fit -- but with Choice and FJones in addition to Barber, they have no need to add another RB, even if he does up their overall rating in both the criminal column and the idiot column that they seem fond of ... I think they'll use that money on Vick as a flex rather than on LJ and still get the off field problems they seek.