[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cassel to be tagged by Pats

Whiskey Pimp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough call. A month ago I probably said it was hogwash that they'd consider it, but with questions about Brady, who knows?

In any event Cassel is a UFA, so in order to try to get some value for him, they might franchise him with the intent of trading him elsewhere. It's going to be a stretch for them to get it under the cap, though. Cassel's franchise tag could cost them ~$15 million.

seems like a no brainer. tag him, wait to see how brady's progressing, and trade him if they don't need him. am i missing what the downside is here?

If Cassel signs the tender, and the pats are unable to work out a trade, then they would probably have to cut some players in order to get under the cap for next year.

that could mean that brady's recovery is worrisome to them

I didn't think so until I thoguht about this...

Cassel's franchise tag could cost them ~$15 million.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here on out. As Czarina pointed out, they could be doing this with the intent of trading him. It's also possible that they may wait until mid-season to bring Brady back, just to be ultra-careful with him. I'd like to think that his knee isn't experiencing any lingering problems, but who knows.

I called this to some friendsd about a month ago. The Pats run their business very well, and a 15 mill insurance policy for one year, with the ability to lock him up long term (since he stays in house) if Brady's knee goes south really makes this a no brainer.

They'll probably trade their first round pick as well since they already have 2 second rounders.

Which would be better, putting Cassel or Brady on the block? People would look at Cassel and say he's a product of the system, but people would look at Brady and someone (Al "I am what ran down Satan's leg" Davis comes to mind) would pay a king's ransom for him.

They'd have to be under the cap on the day they sign him to the tender, which could well mean they'd have to cut players to make it, and/or they'll have great dificulty getting players signed and resigned to fill other spots.

I sense a restructure here for Brady, but I don't know if that would be enough to help.

I agree, but could they really trade Brady? WOuld their fans freak out?

While the fans would freak out, I imagine that Brady has a rather steep no-trade clause...so, he could veto any trade (and probably would)...which would force NE to find another solution ... which could include cutting him.

I don't know about any no trade clause, but I do think that if BB thought trading Brady was in the best interest of the football team then he would do it.

Not only would he do it, he'd probably make it pay. Given that Cassel is a known quantity now and by no means a bad QB, NE could pick up some serious amount and quality of picks for Brady and pretty much ensure their future with some wise drafting, putting replacements in place for their aging core players.

Not only would he do it, he'd probably make it pay. Given that Cassel is a known quantity now and by no means a bad QB, NE could pick up some serious amount and quality of picks for Brady and pretty much ensure their future with some wise drafting, putting replacements in place for their aging core players.

Trading Brady could be one of the dumbest moves in sports history. How many times have we seen players come in and have good seasons as a fill in qb, only to come back down to earth the next year after defenses start to figure them out. If Brady's healthy he's one of the best qb's ever, and he's really not that old. If he's not healthy, they're not going to get that much for him anyway.

Trading Brady could be one of the dumbest moves in sports history. How many times have we seen players come in and have good seasons as a fill in qb, only to come back down to earth the next year after defenses start to figure them out. If Brady's healthy he's one of the best qb's ever, and he's really not that old. If he's not healthy, they're not going to get that much for him anyway.

No trade is dumb if the price is right. As a Vikings fan, I know this to be very true.

I :wacko: Mike Lynn

No trade is dumb if the price is right. As a Vikings fan, I know this to be very true.

I :wacko: Mike Lynn

Ok, fair enough. Let's say i think it would be a huge gamble on Cassel's future. And i don't think they'd get enough in return to make it worth it due to Brady coming off an injury. Not to mention the fan backlash and potential money they'd lose from tickets, etc.

call me a conspiracy theorist, but think about this for a minute...

when would a team pay more for a player in a trade, 1. If they knew the team trying to trade the player had a great player allready at that position and they needed to trade him or else risk letting him walk and get nothing in return? or 2. When they think there is a chance the team doesn't really want to trade the player because the team thinks the guy they have in place is not recovered from an injury?

I'm not saying it's so, just saying, would not put it past BB to make this move in order to keep the trade value high for Cassell. Can't remember where I heard it, but it was local radio, that Brady's recovery is actually ahead of schedule. fwiw.

there is zero chance. ZERO CHANCE that Brady gets traded. (assuming the knee is good, of course) it could be the most pointless conversation ever on this board, simply due to the audacity of it. While there's teams out there that would give first round picks for the next 10 years to get Peyton, Indy STILL wouldn't do it. You dont let players that are the best in the business walk so you can get multiple chances to find guys that might one day be great in the business.

never ever ever will it happen. never.

edit: spelling and such

Edited by LooGie

One newspaper said it's behind schedule. Another newspaper said it's ahead of schedule, but it's generally believed that this particular newspaper is a shill for the team and publishes whatever the team wants.

that would be Tom E Curran on the negative

and Peter King on the positive....neither work for the Globe

please, Brady is not going to be traded.

if he is ok, there's no way they trade him and bank on Cassel after one season.

if he's not ok, and they offer him up for trade, of course other teams are going to know he's not right.

and no, cutting him is not an option

Wow...PFT...

FRANCHISE TENDER WILL TRIGGER $14.4 MILLION PAYDAY FOR CASSEL

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2009, 11:52 a.m.

A reader has forwarded to us the 2008 cap numbers for the five highest-paid quarterbacks, and we’ve confirmed via a league source that the numbers are indeed accurate.

Here they are: (1) Peyton Manning, $18,704,320; (2) Tom Brady, $14,621,320; (3) Carson Palmer, $13,980,001; (4) Eli Manning, $12,916,666; and (5) Brett Favre, $12,000,000.

It works out to an average of $14,444,461.40 — and that’s the amount of the one-year tender that the Patriots would have to extend to quarterback Matt Cassel if/when the franchise tag is applied to him.

Given that Brady’s cap number in 2009 will be $14,626,000, franchising Cassel will tie up more than $29 million in cap space in only two players.