[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers @ Steelers

Riffraff

I guess this is how I see my optimism.

Steelers home game. 6-2 currently there this year losing to indy and gmen both by a td. Home game, VALID

SD 3-5 on the road winning against Oak, KC and TB in the mist of their 0 for 5 slump at the end of their season. Road Game, VALID

Cold weather Meh! Chargers have played well in the cold over the last few years

West coming east 1-3 or 2-4 if you include KC and NO This is significant for 1:00 games ET. This is 10:00 a.m for West Coast Teams and have to start their day about 4:30 a.m. for game prep, tape, warm-up. This game is at 4:30 ET (1:30 PT) and will be a "normal" game prep routine in terms of time. (BTW - I think all teams coming east should have their games start in the late game slot)

LT and Gates not healthy (not that I like that, but it is an advantage) VALID

SD kicker is hurt in the cold at Heinz field Cold Weather, you already said that. He is OK, by the way.

SD punter in the cold (he was amazing last week), but the cold will effect kicking Cold Weather, you already said that. Scifres is still better than Berger in any conditions

Heath Miller is back and helps Ben to some degree Chargers have had trouble with TEs, but contained Clark well despite the other weapons Manning has to use. I hope this continues

Ben passed for over 300 first match up ... and got sacked four times and has a fuzzy head. Charger D is much improved.

Willie ran for over 100 our last match Charger D is much improved. Pitt O-line is not good.

We had 115 yards in penalties to Bolts 5 yards, this will not happen again for sure VALID

Both teams missed a fg :wacko:How does this make you feel "fuzzy"?

Wahingtons Td was called back in first match up due to penalty and Polamalus TD was not overturned Don't make so many penalties. Troy's TD was insignificant and had no real bearing on the game. It was a non-factor in the game

We scuffed a 4th and goal in last match up ...and the Chargers D is better now

Steelers coming off a bye to heal up we needed it sometimes this effects rythm and momentum. Remember the most recent Steelers SB run?

Bolts coming off an ot win and have been playing hard ball for m5 weeks to make this game Good momentum. See above comment.

SD ranked 31st on pass defense Pit is ranked #1 VALID for Pitt, SD D much improved. A better comparison is O v. D. I see this game as a struggle for both offenses.

On paper in first match up we dominated, but failed to put the ball in the end zone this will need to be rectified and soon This is NOT the same San Diego team that (somehow) almost won that game if not for a LAST SECOND FG? Don't expect the same type of game

Defense wins championships VALID!!! And the Chargers D is vastly improved. The Chargers, now, in my mind, have a better balanced team than the Steelers.

Steelers 20, Chargers 10

but that is why we play the game. Good luck to you and yours SD I will be at Yogi's in Cardiff by the Sea wearing my Bleier jersey drinking a beer and either crying in it or laughing with my friends.

Good Luck to all!

You keep talking about a game that was 60 days ago and a team that has changed dramatically. I continue to contend that it is very wrong to evaluate one playoff game based off a whole season. Playoff games are more "what have you done for me lately?"

The Chargers only had the ball for two series in the second half and ran only 50 plays and the Steelers held the ball for almost 40 minutes. Some of that was the play of the Steelers D, but it was mostly due to the Chargers D not being able to get off the field. The Steelers O will not have as easy a time playing keep away this game. Their O-line is just not what I think it needs to be to dominate a game the way they used too. More opportunities for an improved offense... :D

I could see the Steelers scoring 20 in this game. I too gave them four scores, but only one TD, you think two. BUT, if you think they are going to hold the Chargers to 10 points, I think that is where you and other Steeler fans are being unrealistic. Only two scores? Even without LT, I don't see that happening. What is interesting is that Rivers was sick in the first game and had his worst game of the season. ALSO, the Steelers were without two of their top CBs. This is probably a wash, but the Chargers O-line is really the key to why they are playing better as a unit.

The Steelers may very likely win this game, they have a lot of advantages going into the game. But, if you are expecting the same Charger team, mentally and confidence wise to show up, this will be a frustrating and maybe just as devastating game for you as the one in '94.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is interesting is that Rivers was sick in the first game and had his worst game of the season.

:wacko:

That probably explains why every QB outside of Kerry Collins has had their worst games of the year against the Steelers, they were all sick.

:D

That probably explains why every QB outside of Kerry Collins has had their worst games of the year against the Steelers, they were all sick.

OK bro, let's not go A$$tard on each other and sound byte me.

Rivers was sick. FACT He had a bad game. FACT. The Steelers were without their two top CBs. FACT. The Steelers make a lot of QBs look bad. FACT. Rivers is not sick and is playing at a higher level. FACT. The Steelers will have their CBs back. FACT. All of this, for both sides to me is a wash.

As stated earlier, it comes down to the O-line. If they give Rivers time, he will make plays. The Steelers O better play a lot better because they will not have the ball for 60 minutes again, errr, 40 minutes (but it felt like 60 :D ).

This game has no indication that it can or will turn into a shootout. If it does, the Chargers win walking away.

If the Steelers can't run the ball, and with that line I think they will struggle, it could be a long day for Steeler fans. :wacko:

Edited by McBoog

With FF over this is the only game that matters to me. The way this Bolts fan sees it is that PITT will not be able to run the ball against the BOLTS. That leaves Ben trying to pick apart SD via the air. I can see him getting some yards that way but at the risk of getting klobbered by a sack or two. Will SD have troube penetrating the PITT defense? Of course, but I think they have more weapons than does PITT. They are a good team and SD is a talented team on a hot streak. SD wins a close one.

Edited by MothAudio

With FF over this is the only game that matters to me. The way this Bolts fan sees it is that PITT will not be able to run the ball against the BOLTS. That leaves Ben trying to pick apart SD via the air. I can see him getting some yards that way but at the risk of getting klobbered by a sack or two. Will SD have troube penetrating the PITT defense? Of course, but I think they have more weapons than does PITT. They are a good team and SD is a talented team on a hot streak. SD wins a close one.

Wow thanks for waking me up!!

Rivers was sick. FACT He had a bad game. FACT. The Steelers were without their two top CBs. FACT. The Steelers make a lot of QBs look bad. FACT. Rivers is not sick and is playing at a higher level. FACT. The Steelers will have their CBs back. FACT.

FACT Cap'n Grunge cuts his own hair. FACT

I know that this will sound kind of homer or hackish. I have absolutely NO link and cannot prove the following information, so take what I am about to post here for what its worth and choose to believe it or not. I swear to God that this is the truth as it was conveyed to me.

I will admit, i was surprised as hell when I heard this myself.

As some of you know, I had an injury to my back last year just before Christmas (I had surgery the Friday before Christmas). I no longer live in San Diego and am stationed in the DC area. I was very lucky to get hooked up with The Virginia Spine Institute. This team of doctors is one of the best anywhere and they do all the spine/neck work for the Redskins, Ravens and other are pro teams as well as the more difficult cases by other pro team on the East Coast and around the world for that matter).

Now, the rehab/therapy staff for a pro team is responsible for the athletes rehab, but the Redskins' staff and the Spine Institutes' staff work closely together. I drew the good luck of getting the head therapist for the staff for my rehab. There is always a lot of talk about sports in general and football in particular during my rehab sessions and a few pro athletes working on their "issues" every now and then. Kind of cool actually.

Well, enough of the background. I was in for therapy today, and my therapist and I were talking about this coming weekends' games. He knows I am a Charger fan and we were talking about that game in particular. As fate would have it, Rich (my therapist) looks up and sees a guy walking in who is on the training staff for the Skins. He comes over to the table and starts talkin' with Rich who "introduces" me. This guy (I forget his name, I was being "manipulated" when Rich said it) was recently on the Steelers' training staff before his current gig. We started talking about the Charger/Steeler game and the topic of Big Ben's concussion came up.

This guy claims that it should be considered a MAJOR concern. Apparently, Ben has not been "right" since his motorcycle accident. He seems to be a little mentally slower in general and does not recognize, learn or grasp things as fast as he used to. We all know about the helmet communications and how they have up until a certain time to communicate with the QB before shutting it off. As this guy stated, the Steelers use every second possible to be in his ear, helping him with initial reads and adjustments. He says he is not at all surprised at the tendency for Ben to throw the picks he has been recently and also attributes his "slower thinking process" to him holding the ball too long, not making reads fast enough and taking a lot of hit/sacks.

I tried to pull the guy's chain buy saying he was sour grapes 'cause he was no longer with the Steelers, but he said he left on good terms to take a better paying position with more responsibility with the Skins. My therapist confirmed this.

How much this plays into the game tomorrow is anyone's guess, and it may not. But, it is very interesting and also very well could effect how well he plays if the Chargers can get some heat on him like they did in the first game. At the very least, it answers a lot of questions... if you believe it.

This guy claims that it should be considered a MAJOR concern. Apparently, Ben has not been "right" since his motorcycle accident. He seems to be a little mentally slower in general and does not recognize, learn or grasp things as fast as he used to. We all know about the helmet communications and how they have up until a certain time to communicate with the QB before shutting it off. As this guy stated, the Steelers use every second possible to be in his ear, helping him with initial reads and adjustments. He says he is not at all surprised at the tendency for Ben to throw the picks he has been recently and also attributes his "slower thinking process" to him holding the ball too long, not making reads fast enough and taking a lot of hit/sacks.

In the Neurology and PsychoNeurology fields, this is known and Traumatic Brain Injury

Edited by Riffraff

:D

He had 3000+ yards, 30+ TDs, and a 104+ QB rating last year.

He also had a MUCH better O-Line. The last time he played coming off a concussion, he threw four picks and two were pick six :wacko: Also took a bunch of sacks.

Dennis Gibson

Just thought I'd throw that out there. The Steelers and their fans are looking past today to the Ravens rematch next week. This is feeling all too familiar... in a good way! :wacko:

GO CHARGERS

I know that this will sound kind of homer or hackish. I have absolutely NO link and cannot prove the following information, so take what I am about to post here for what its worth and choose to believe it or not. I swear to God that this is the truth as it was conveyed to me.

I will admit, i was surprised as hell when I heard this myself.

As some of you know, I had an injury to my back last year just before Christmas (I had surgery the Friday before Christmas). I no longer live in San Diego and am stationed in the DC area. I was very lucky to get hooked up with The Virginia Spine Institute. This team of doctors is one of the best anywhere and they do all the spine/neck work for the Redskins, Ravens and other are pro teams as well as the more difficult cases by other pro team on the East Coast and around the world for that matter).

Now, the rehab/therapy staff for a pro team is responsible for the athletes rehab, but the Redskins' staff and the Spine Institutes' staff work closely together. I drew the good luck of getting the head therapist for the staff for my rehab. There is always a lot of talk about sports in general and football in particular during my rehab sessions and a few pro athletes working on their "issues" every now and then. Kind of cool actually.

Well, enough of the background. I was in for therapy today, and my therapist and I were talking about this coming weekends' games. He knows I am a Charger fan and we were talking about that game in particular. As fate would have it, Rich (my therapist) looks up and sees a guy walking in who is on the training staff for the Skins. He comes over to the table and starts talkin' with Rich who "introduces" me. This guy (I forget his name, I was being "manipulated" when Rich said it) was recently on the Steelers' training staff before his current gig. We started talking about the Charger/Steeler game and the topic of Big Ben's concussion came up.

I tried to pull the guy's chain buy saying he was sour grapes 'cause he was no longer with the Steelers, but he said he left on good terms to take a better paying position with more responsibility with the Skins. My therapist confirmed this.

How much this plays into the game tomorrow is anyone's guess, and it may not. But, it is very interesting and also very well could effect how well he plays if the Chargers can get some heat on him like they did in the first game. At the very least, it answers a lot of questions... if you believe it.

Roethlisberger had the best season of his career last year, which was after the injury. The Steelers have given Roethlisberger more and more responsibility for calling plays and blocking schemes at the line of scrimmage over the last two years. So, yes, this report is silly.

Ben's stats last year:

QB Rating = 104.1 (2nd in NFL to Brady)

TD's = 32 (2nd in NFL to Brady)

INT's = 11

Yards = 3,154

He also had a MUCH better O-Line. The last time he played coming off a concussion, he threw four picks and two were pick six :wacko: Also took a bunch of sacks.

False

The offensive line was terrible last year as well. Look up the stats, I think Ben got sacked more last year than he did this year.

Dennis Gibson

Just thought I'd throw that out there. The Steelers and their fans are looking past today to the Ravens rematch next week. This is feeling all too familiar... in a good way! :D

GO CHARGERS

Please link me to the posts where Steelers fans are looking past today to the Ravens.

Every city has one. Ours in Minny is called Reusse - knows nothing, shouts a lot. Chicago is worse.

ours in Boston is Dan 'Shank' Shaughnessy...he'l stick it in your back any chance he gets.

I hate to even mention his name and give him the publicity, but a spade is a spade.

didn't read this entire thread, but key to this game is Chargers O line.

If they protect Rivers and open holes for RB's, they win. If not, Pitt wins a low scoring game.

Turn overs could run up the score. O/U i would guess, 34

Please link me to the posts where Steelers fans are looking past today to the Ravens.

I don't have enough time. Just go to the local rag and read the comments. :D