[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay, your long national nightmare is OVER

Chavez

This looks like another good hire.

Packers hire veteran strength coach

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 28, 2009

Tampa, Fla. -- Reaching back to his Kansas City Chiefs roots, Packers coach Mike McCarthy has chosen 23-year NFL coaching veteran Dave Redding to replace strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson, an NFL source said.

Redding was coach Marty Schottenheimer's strength coach for all but two years from 1982-'06, serving in Cleveland ('82-'88), Kansas City ('89-'98), Washington (2001) and San Diego ('02-'06). McCarthy was a quality control assistant and quarterbacks coach under Schottenheimer from 1993-'98 and has said many times that Schottenheimer has had a big influence on him.

McCarthy chose Redding over assistant strength coach Mark Lovat, who will remain on the staff in his current position. Mondray Gee will remain as strength and conditioning assistant.

Redding will continue much of the same free-weight techniques that Gullickson employed, but McCarthy's hope is that he will create a more comfortable environment for the players. Sources have said that McCarthy's main reason for replacing Gullickson was that he did not think players were responding well to the program and needed to make a change.

Redding has received numerous honors for his work, including several yearly honors as strength and conditioning coach of the year. In 2006, he was inducted into the USA Strength and Conditioning Coaches' Hall of Fame.

In 1999, after Schottenheimer was fired by the Chiefs, Redding left the NFL, but he returned in '01. After Schottenheimer was dismissed after the '06 season in San Diego, Redding served as the national sports director for AdvoCare, a health and wellness company that sells nutritional products.

Redding played football at the University of Nebraska and was a grad assistant there in 1976. He moved on to Washington St. where he was strength coach for five seasons.

___

On the offense from PFW

One-third of Packers' 2008 rookie crop could start next season

The Packers were the youngest team in the NFL for the third straight year. In the wake of a dramatic seven-game plunge in the standings, it will be interesting to see just how much of the team’s youth is served in the starting lineup in 2009.

The way we hear it, three of the team’s nine ’08 drafted rookies have a legitimate shot at starting jobs next season — third-round TE Jermichael Finley, fourth-round OG Josh Sitton and fifth-round OT Breno Giacomini. On the offensive line, sources say Sitton, who has a big body, will get a decent opportunity to start at either guard spot, while the physical Giacomini will be in serious contention for the ORT job held down primarily by veteran Mark Tauscher in ’08. As for Finley, who displayed some intriguing flashes in his rookie season, word is the team would love to see him step up and seriously challenge Donald Lee for the starting TE role.

Edited by Randall

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knee injury that nagged James Jones throughout last season was reportedly a torn PCL, originally suffered in the preseason.

The Packers only called it a "sprain," but this explains Jones' step back in 2008. He lost his third receiver job to Jordy Nelson, but will get a chance to earn it back this spring. Jones remains a valuable long-term commodity behind contract-year starter Greg Jennings and 34-year-old Donald Driver. There should be a spirited competition for the #3 WR next season unless Driver takes a step back.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38491969.html

The coaching staff is now complete...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Mike Vandermause column: Greene ready to butt heads

Training camp can’t come soon enough for new Green Bay Packers assistant coach Kevin Greene.

“You know what, I feel like head-butting someone right now,” :wacko: Greene told me on Tuesday during a meet-and-greet with the media, “and you’re the closest to me.”

I think he was kidding, but with Greene you can never be too sure.

This is a guy who brought new meaning to the word “intensity” during his 15-year NFL career. He wasn’t afraid to congratulate a teammate on the sideline with a head-butt, even if Greene wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time. He dabbled in professional wrestling, and gained a reputation on the football field as a fearless, wild-eyed, take-no-prisoners linebacker.

“It’s a good reputation to have, I think, huh?” Greene asked me.

Anything you say, Kevin, uh, I mean Mr. Greene.

He promises to bring that same fervor he displayed as a player to the practice field as the Packers’ outside linebackers coach.

“They’re going to feel my competitive football fire,” said Greene of the players he will oversee. “It’s a natural thing. You can’t hide that.

“I’m going to coach the way I played the game.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean Greene will be a raving madman on the sidelines. At 46, there are signs he has mellowed since his playing days ended in 1999. Greene wore a suit and tie during his session with the media, his spectacles gave him the look of a college professor, and he speaks fondly of his wife and children.

Greene has played under some of the best coaches in the business, including Bill Cowher, Dom Capers, Dick LeBeau and Fritz Shurmur.

But his roots run much deeper. His father was a Vietnam veteran and airborne ranger and retired as a full colonel. That military background instilled in Greene a deep sense of discipline and responsibility.

Greene was a five-time Pro Bowl player and is third on the NFL career list for sacks, but he said those accomplishments don’t compare to the 19 years he served in the Army Reserve.

“I think that’s probably what I’m most proud of is the time I was able to be a part of the military,” said Greene, a trained paratrooper who was honorably discharged from the reserve in 1998.

Greene recently spent time in Iraq visiting U.S. soldiers. “It was an awesome, awesome deal,” he said. “It was a chance to high-five the true warriors, the real heroes. You have to keep some things in perspective.”

By comparison Greene considers football “merely a game,” but that won’t stop him from pouring every ounce of energy into his first full-time coaching job.

“This is going to be a productive defense,” he promised.

For those who don’t believe it, Greene would be glad to head-butt some sense into them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good story from Pat Kirwin on the transition.

2. The outside linebackers

Pass pressure in the 3-4 comes from the outside linebackers. Look no further than James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley in Pittsburgh. It was amazing how fast Joey Porter returned to his old Pittsburgh-type production when Parcells went to Miami and installed a 3-4 defense after Porter had struggled in the Dolphins' 4-3. The Patriots used the draft to acquire their defensive linemen, but they went to free agency to find their outside linebackers -- Rosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas and Mike Vrabel all came from other teams.

The two outside linebackers need to generate in the neighborhood of 20 sacks, and the Packers hope they already have the players who can function in the scheme. The big experiment in Green Bay is taking pass-rushing defensive end Aaron Kampman and standing him up as an outside linebacker. Greg Ellis did it for the Cowboys, and Kampman looks even better suited for the job.

At 6-4 and 250 pounds, Kampman has the movement skills to drop into coverage occasionally and rush the passer from a stand-up position. He must learn how to defend his legs, which every conversion player struggles with early in the process. Keep in mind that an outside linebacker's whole body is exposed to the blocker, and he's out on air, where he's an easy target to find.

Expect Kampman to be the least of the Packers' issues in the conversion. On the right outside spot, someone must come through as a ferocious pass rusher. Right now, Brady Poppinga and Brandon Chiller are penciled in, but here's a spot that Green Bay's front office might turn to the draft for an impact player. The Chargers drafted Shawne Merriman and the Cowboys took DeMarcus Ware to fill this role in their 3-4 defenses. Expect the Packers to take a long look at Larry English, Aaron Curry and maybe even defensive end conversions such as Everette Brown and Brian Orakpo.

Edited by Randall

Harrell might move to end of the line

Posted: Feb. 3, 2009

Green Bay - Even if Justin Harrell can overcome the back injury that has plagued him for almost a year, there's a good chance he won't be playing defensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers next season.

Harrell, who had two back surgeries last year and was put on injured reserve late in the season after the pain flared up again, fits the mold of a defensive end in the new 3-4 defense. At 6 feet 4 inches and 320 pounds, he doesn't quite have the size and low center of gravity of a 3-4 nose tackle.

"I'm going to have to watch more of him," defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said Tuesday during a meet-and-greet with the new defensive staff. "Now I know New England has (Vince) Wilfork and Pittsburgh has (Casey) Hampton. Those are bigger guys in there.

"So you'd probably look at him - again, it's early on it now - but you'd probably look at him as an end-type person."

Wilfork is listed at 6-2, 325 pounds but probably weighs much more. The 6-1 Hampton is listed at 325 but weighs 340, a team official said.

In the Packers’ 3-4 defense, the ends aren’t responsible for two gaps and so they can get upfield quickly. But they also often eat up blockers so the linebackers playing behind them can make tackles.

According to coach Mike McCarthy, Harrell is in town working out and rehabilitating his back. Surgery was an option but it has been ruled out for now.

"The doctors want to go the rehab route," McCarthy said.

Trgovac said he’d like to see what Harrell, a first-round pick in 2007 from Tennessee, could do in this defense.

"He’s a talented kid,” Trgovac said. "If he can stay healthy. . . . He’s had some injury problems when he was at Tennessee, but he’s a very talented player."

From Ted Thompson

What’s your assessment of the defensive back group?

The defensive back group is a strong group. The corners look like a strong group. Now having said that, I’m going to say every group is a pretty strong group. That’s sort of my answer to all these questions, just so you know. But yeah, it looks like a pretty good group. :wacko:

Green Bays pick in some mock drafts. I wasn't impressed with Raji in the Senior Bowl and am hoping for a top player to drop. Curry would be very nice.

NFLDraftScout.com (Rang)

Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Last update: Feb. 17

Scout.com (Steuber)

B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

Last update: Feb. 16

National Football Post

B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

Last update: Feb. 16

FoxSports (Schrager)

Everette Brown, DE, Florida St.

Last update: Feb. 3

Scouts Inc. (McShay):

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.

Last update: Feb. 2

Pro Football Weekly (Nawrocki):

Last update: Jan. 30

draftinsiders (Coyle):

Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Last update: Jan. 27

SI.com (Banks):

Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

Last update: Jan. 22

ESPN (Kiper):

Last update: Jan. 22

Orakpo will be a monster. I would love to get him at 9.

That's certainly possible.

He pulled his hamstring today but shut everything down and should be OK.

Connor Barwin looked good too. I'd like to get him with the Jets pick in the 3rd round.

I'm leaning toward Everette Brown. Curry will be gone, Raji will be gone, too high for Jenkins, and Michael Johnson is NOT a 3-4 guy (he'd be the only OLB over 6-5 in the league). I like Brown, though. :wacko:

I am biased against Brown - FSU DEs are the BYU QBs of defense.

Packers Pursuing Dallas DE Canty

The Green Bay Packers are trying to bring in defensive end Chris Canty of the Dallas Cowboys for a free-agent visit but are competing for him with at least a couple of other teams on the opening day of free agency.

Canty, who is attractive to the Packers as an excellent fit at defensive end for their new 3-4 defense, is one of the more coveted players available in free agency this offseason. He’s scheduled to visit the New York Giants on Saturday, and Seattle Seahawks on Sunday and Monday, said his agent, Brad Blank, this afternoon.

The Packers, San Francisco and Tennessee also want to bring in Canty for a visit, but Blank said Canty probably will take only one or maybe two other visits after this weekend. He’ll determine where else Canty will go after getting firm contract parameters and determing which of those teams are most interested. There's also a chance Canty will sign while in New York or San Francisco.

The Packers contacted Blank at the start of free agency late Thursday night to express their interest, though they also warned they generally don’t move early in free agency. However, their interest has escalated, and they called again today to set up a visit for Canty early next week.

Blank said he gave the Packers a general idea of the contract Canty appears in line for and the team’s co-director of football operations, Reggie McKenzie, said the Packers still want him to visit as soon as possible after Seattle. The Packers in recent years have not pursued a free agent who has drawn this level of interest at the start of free agency, so if they bring Canty in they’ll be breaking new ground under General Manager Ted Thompson.

“It’s a perfect situation for him because of the 3-4,” Blank said of the Packers. “These other teams are 4-3.”

Canty appeared headed for the Washington Redskins today, but after the sides made extensive progress in negotiations Thursday night at the start of free agency, the Redskins early this morning canceled Canty’s trip to Washington because they’d signed defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to a blockbuster deal. Canty’s near-deal with the Redskins included guaranteed money of about $20 million. That suggests he could be in a for a deal that averages $7 million to $8 million and has guarantees in the $15 million to $20 million range.

Canty, 26, was a fourth-round draft pick by Dallas in 2005. At 6-7 and 304, he’s been a defensive end in the Cowboys’ 3-4 scheme. He had three sacks last season and nine sacks for his four-year career.

-- Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

This is interesting

February 26, 2009

Lombardi's legends remember when blacks struggled in NFL

BY KEEGAN KYLE

kkyle@greenbaypressgazette.com

Every time Willie Davis stepped onto Lambeau Field, the Pro Football Hall of Famer said he was “teaching folks in Green Bay about black folks.”

Davis said he can almost laugh today about race relations in the early years of desegregated football leagues. He can also tell stories that will drop your jaw.

“I saw a lot and sometimes you kind of grit your teeth,” Davis said Thursday night at a panel discussion at the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame in honor of Black History Month.

The panel aimed to bring more awareness to the challenges that faced early African-American football players. Davis was joined by former Packers players Dave Robinson and Rob Davis, defensive end Cullen Jenkins and assistant director of pro personnel Tim Terry.

“There were a lot of people in the country who thought black players weren’t good enough … or smart enough,” Robinson said. “These stereotypes were prevalent through society.”

Robinson and Willie Davis, who starred for the Packers in the 1960s, carried the conversation, talking about coach Vince Lombardi and their experiences with segregation. They chatted with a crowd of 40 people as if they were sitting at a bar and sharing drinks.

Robinson painted the desegregation of football as an economic maneuver by team owners to attract larger crowds.

Davis talked about Lombardi and his hunger for the best players — he cared about winning on the field and hated “distractions.”

As did the crowd, Rob Davis, Jenkins and Terry listened to the Packers veterans in awe.

“It makes you appreciate the doors they have opened for you,” Terry said.

On Friday, Davis and Robinson will sign autographs at the Hall of Fame from noon to 1:30 p.m. Paid admission is required for the autograph session.

Canty would be nice.

I was also loving the idea of Peppers, but if Haynesworth got $40+ mil guaranteed, he'll probably want $50 mil and no player is worth that. The amount of money being handed out today is pretty ridiculous.

It would be very nice, but I doubt he even gets to Green Bay. I think he'll sign by Sunday elsewhere.

A few names to remember

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Feb. 27, 2009

Green Bay -- So the football Santa came and went early this morning and what did he leave Packers fans?

Not much.

DT Albert Haynesworth is drawing interest from six teams; none likely the Packers. LB Bart Scott is headed to either St. Louis or the Jets. The Rams are the early leaders on C Jason Brown. LB Michael Boley will likely sign with the Giants. DE Chris Canty is visiting Washington, which means he will likely sign there.

So the Packers don't appear to be in on any of the big names. No big shock there. Most teams ride out the first weekend as insecure teams get into bidding wars over certain players, some of whom never pan out.

So who will the Packers end up signing? Nobody can predict that, obviously. But I will offer up three names of players I know they like and could very well end up signing. Just don't shoot the messenger if they don't scream "instant impact" -- because they don't.

Safety C.C. Brown, Houston Texans

Drafted by defensive coordinator Dom Capers in his final year with the Texans, Brown became an instant starter before breaking his arm last season, his fourth. A very good athlete and very strong. Out of Louisiana-Lafayette, he ran a 4.47 at the combine. Has long arms (33.5 inches) to add to his 6-foot, 208-pound frame. Scored a 17 on the Wonderlic.

TE Tony Curtis, Dallas Cowboys

A mammoth player at 6-6 and 260 pounds -- known as "Spartacus" because of his strength -- Curtis was the odd-man out in Dallas behind Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett. Would instantly become the Packers' best run blocker at the position. And since Tory Humphrey was not tendered, there is definitely an opening. Curtis is very good in the red zone when given an opportunity. Ran 40 in 4.92 and 4.98 coming out undrafted from Portland State.

LB Napoleon Harris, Minnesota Vikings

At 6-3 and 253 pounds, the Northwestern product has the size of a 3-4 linebacker and would be signed to help the depth at inside linebacker in case Nick Barnett is not ready. He could also pinch in at OLB to help against the run in short yardage because he's still a decent athlete and is physical. Got cut last season in Kansas City's youth movement and played OK for the Vikings down the stretch as injuries mounted. But with the Williams wall in front, a lot of players would be decent. He's 30 with a little bit of mileage on him so he'd be a depth player.

So there you have it. Three names to keep an eye on as the Packers move forward.

Edited by Randall

It would be very nice, but I doubt he even gets to Green Bay. I think he'll sign by Sunday elsewhere.

Even though I know how TT is during FA, for some reason I still get hopeful every year. :wacko:

Blank gave the Packers a chance to jump ahead of Seattle on Canty's tour schedule but the team would not commit to the contract parameters Blank is looking for. Reggie McKenzie has informed Ted Thompson of the proposed contract and, while Thompson isn't thrilled with it, he has not dismissed it out of hand.

Blank said he expects to speak with Thompson directly on Sunday and a visit would be decided on at that time, depending on whether or not the Packers are in Canty's salary ballpark.

Big surprise Ted isn't thrilled with his asking price. Apparently Canty is canceling his NY trip, since they just signed Bernard.

Updating a previous item, free agent DL Chris Canty is considering canceling his flight to New York after the Giants signed Rocky Bernard.

Canty was scheduled to be in New York at 6PM ET Sunday, but may move his previous Monday trip to Seattle up a day. The Packers are also "very serious" about making a run at the prized 3-4 end, but no flight to Green Bay is setup. The 49ers and Titans have shown lesser degrees of interest.

Even though I know how TT is during FA, for some reason I still get hopeful every year. :wacko:

Big surprise Ted isn't thrilled with his asking price. Apparently Canty is canceling his NY trip, since they just signed Bernard.

I don't think he's thrilled about any spending. He's probably not a big tipper either :D

Green Bay - While he was tempted to pull Chris Canty out of New York following the Rocky Bernard signing, agent Brad Blank said tonight Canty will finish his visit after Giants officials assured him they are still interested.

If Canty is not signed, he will head to Seattle. Blank gave the Packers a chance to jump ahead of Seattle on Canty's tour schedule but the team would not commit to the contract parameters Blank is looking for. Reggie McKenzie has informed Ted Thompson of the proposed contract and, while Thompson isn't thrilled with it, he has not dismissed it out of hand.

Blank said he expects to speak with Thompson directly on Sunday and a visit would be decided on at that time, depending on whether or not the Packers are in Canty's salary ballpark.

Cole has signed with Seattle.

Cole gone; No push for Canty - yet

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Mar. 1, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Green Bay -- The next domino to fall in the Packers' pursuit of Cowboys defensive end Chris Canty has fallen: now-former Packers DT Colin Cole has signed with the Seahawks, according to NFL.com.

That means Seattle likely doesn't have much interest in Canty, who is still in New York and meeting with the Giant's coaches. Losing Cole, who the Packers wanted to re-sign, is a blow to the Packers because it hurts their line depth as they transition to the 3-4.

Just got off the phone with Brad Blank, Canty's agent, two minutes ago. He has a contract proposal from the Giants and has sent them a counter proposal.

Contrary to the nfpost.com's report that the Packers were also making a hard push for Canty, Blank said nothing close to a contract offer had come from the Packers. In fact, Blank had trouble getting the Packers on the phone this morning and had not yet heard from Ted Thompson.

"I don't feel -- at this moment and this could change -- any form of representation from the Packers that I'm going to get a deal from them," Blank said. "And you know the old saying: one in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Just as Blank said those words, Packers negotiator Russ Ball beeped in and the two are currently talking.

I'll let you know what happens.

Canty signing with the Giants

Mar. 1, 2009 4:10 p.m.

The Packers lost Colin Cole to the Seattle Seahawks earlier today and now they'll have to find someone other than Dallas' Chris Canty to replace him.

Canty has agreed to terms with the New York Giants on a new free agent contract. The Giants announced the signing this afternoon, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

NFL.com is reporting that the deal is six year, $42 million with $17.25 guaranteed. But let's wait to see the breakdown of the contract before taking that as gospel. An NFL source confirmed the numbers, but didn't show the breakdown.

The 6-7, 305-pound Canty would have played end in the Packers' 3-4 defense. The Packers were trying to get Canty to visit but they never discussed contract numbers with agent Brad Blank and weren't really in the running.

The Packers were not going to pay $17 million guaranteed to Canty, which is probably why they were never really in it. Their main competition, if interested, would have been the Giants because the Seahawks bowed out after signing Cole.