[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay, your long national nightmare is OVER

Chavez

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poppinga seems like he's a great locker room guy.

He gets way over-hated by Packer fans.

Yes he is and yes he does. He's very confident in himself and is a team guy.

Greg Jennings said similar things when they brought in ex teammate Jamarko Simmons. He said he isn't worried about him taking his job because he's confident in himself.

You have to like people that welcome competition like this.

Poppinga seems like he's a great locker room guy.

He gets way over-hated by Packer fans.

Agree with you 100%. Poppinga isn't the fastest, or the quickest, but that guy tackles everything he touches.

Greg Jennings said similar things when they brought in ex teammate Jamarko Simmons. He said he isn't worried about him taking his job because he's confident in himself.

You have to like people that welcome competition like this.

I think there is a big difference between Jennings and Poppinga saying it. There are maybe 5-7 guys in the league that are better than Jennings, and Simmons went undrafted...

I do think Matthews wins the job outright, but Poppinga as a great backup is nice. Also having him on special teams primarily would be awesome.

Agree with you 100%. Poppinga isn't the fastest, or the quickest, but that guy tackles everything he touches.

I think there is a big difference between Jennings and Poppinga saying it. There are maybe 5-7 guys in the league that are better than Jennings, and Simmons went undrafted...

I do think Matthews wins the job outright, but Poppinga as a great backup is nice. Also having him on special teams primarily would be awesome.

Yes and they can rotate Popinga in on running downs.

Yes and they can rotate Popinga in on running downs.

I'm all for it. My biggest hope for the linebackers is that Hawk plays better this year. His numbers look good, but his play on the field was average at best. I remember little Steve Slaton breaking a few of his tackles... It's one thing if you can't get to Slaton, but if you make hard contact with a back that size there is no excuse for not making the tackle...

It’s roughly 2,000 miles from Green Bay to Los Angeles, where Packers first-round draft pick Clay Matthews attended the University of Southern California. The difference in cultures between the two cities is even more distant.

But Matthews doesn’t sound like he’ll miss the big city.

“I’m definitely used to a bigger environment, but at the same time, I consider myself a small-town guy,” he said. “I always talk about how nice it’s going to be to get out of L.A., not in regards to the city, but in regards to the traffic and the hustle and bustle, just to kind of slow down a little bit.”

There’s no better place for that than Green Bay.

Matthews won’t have to worry about managing life in the fast lane or hanging with the Hollywood crowd, and that’s just fine with him.

“I think it will be a nice change of pace,” he said. “I better learn to like it, though, if I’m going to be here.”

In Green Bay, Matthews can direct his full attention to football. He thrives in an environment in which you can eat, sleep and breathe football every day.

“Here in Green Bay, the special thing about it is, there’s only the Packers,” he said. “That’s what we focus on is winning around here. Especially having the team owned by the community. That’s all we want to do is win here. We have no other priorities. Just win.”

We are beginning to see why the Packers liked Matthews so much they were willing to trade a second-round draft choice and a pair of third-rounders to land him with the No. 26 overall pick in the first round.

Matthews’ work ethic is legendary, his attitude is first-rate and in a span of seven months, his value catapulted through the roof.

A year ago, Matthews said he thought it would be neat just to get drafted. Last September, he became a starting linebacker at USC and proved to be a highly effective pass rusher. He followed with impressive performances at the Senior Bowl, NFL combine and USC’s pro day.

Matthews became so good so fast that skeptics painted a target on his back. But not even a bogus report that he failed a steroids test as the draft neared could keep him from rising to first-round status.

The false report still bothers him.

“I’m proud of the hard work I’ve put in and where I’ve come from,” Matthews said. “For someone to take a shot at that and saying that I took the easy way to get where I did, it hurts.”

But that will only spur Matthews to work harder to prove his doubters wrong. Ever since high school, when he was undersized and couldn’t crack the starting lineup until his senior year, Matthews has played with a chip on his shoulder.

“I try to earn respect because of that,” he said.

Matthews appreciates that the Packers thought enough of him to part with multiple draft picks, but the pressure attached to those high expectations isn’t a concern.

“You want a team that’s going to believe in you,” he said. “You want someone who’s going to throw you in there and give you opportunities to make plays and really showcase your abilities.”

He will get that chance with the Packers, whose starting right outside linebacker position in the new 3-4 defense is up for grabs.

Matthews came away from the rookie orientation weekend in Green Bay earlier this month with a good feeling.

He got a sense of the Packers’ history by listening to former players Dorsey Levens and Antonio Freeman speak to the rookies.

“You definitely hear about how prestigious and historic this place is,” he said.

He might have found a kindred spirit in Kevin Greene, his new position coach, whose intensity remains as strong as ever.

“You can tell by looking in his eyes how much football means to him,” Matthews said of Greene. “He’s telling us stories about how he wakes up at 3 in the morning, jots down notes, then deciphers it in the morning.”

Matthews remembers watching Greene as a player. “Absolutely, how could you miss him with that hair?” he said.

Speaking of hair, Matthews has long flowing locks that might make Greene proud.

“He hasn’t mentioned anything about that yet,” Matthews said. “There’s been a few people that have said I may have longer hair than A.J. Hawk, but you know, we’ll determine that once I come back.”

Matthews returns this week to take part in the next stage of the Packers’ offseason program and is looking forward to meeting the veterans, particularly the linebackers, when organized team activities begin May 27. “I heard (Aaron) Kampman is just a stud,” he said. “I’d love to pick A.J. Hawk’s brain.”

His list of connections to Green Bay is lengthy. His father, 16-year NFL veteran Clay Jr., worked with Packers strength coach Dave Redding in Cleveland. And his uncle, 19-year league veteran Bruce Matthews, played with Packers General Manager Ted Thompson and at one time worked with Packers equipment manager Red Batty.

Green Bay already is starting to feel like home to Matthews.

“It seems like a great fit,” he said.

It's easy to be pessimistic but Harrell says he's healthy. If he is he could be a talented end.

Notebook: DE Justin Harrell feels better than ever

BY TOM PELISSERO • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • May 28, 2009

Justin Harrell was skeptical about trying alternative medicine on his ailing back, but he’s become a believer.

Four weeks after visiting Dennis Plansky, a Green Bay chiropractor who specializes in energy work, Harrell says he’s pain free for the first time in years.

“It was one of those things — hey, what do I have to lose?” Harrell said Thursday during the Green Bay Packers’ organized team activities.

“I saw him, and I’m cured.”

It’s easy to be skeptical of Harrell, too, considering the former first-round draft pick has lost much of his first two NFL seasons to injuries.

Last year, the big issue was Harrell’s back, which required two offseason surgeries and led to the hip pain that ended his season. The pain persisted into the offseason, and even as he rehabbed at Lambeau Field, Harrell didn’t feel quite right until he saw Plansky, who also is a trained acupuncturist and hypnotist.

Citing patient confidentiality, Plansky declined to reveal what work he did on Harrell. Whatever it was, it has Harrell feeling better than he did even before he first hurt the back last April — and practicing during OTAs for the first time in his young career.

A defensive tackle in the Packers’ old 4-3 defensive scheme, Harrell is playing end in the 3-4 and working with the starters in Cullen Jenkins’ absence.

“I have not been with him in the past, so I cannot speak on the past,” new defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said of Harrell, “but he’s been very determined, he’s moving very well, and he’s very focused right now, and he’s just naturally a bright kid. I’ve been very pleased with his effort.”

Whether it carries over to the season remains to be seen. Harrell admitted his weight again has ballooned to 325 pounds — “Eating too much barbeque last week; I won’t do it again,” he said — and he has a history of having setbacks just when he seems to be past an injury.

But Harrell said he’s motivated to justify an investment — he made roughly $1.75 million in base salary and bonuses while playing in only 15 games over his first two years; another $1.5 million option bonus was due April 1 — that has yet to pay off for the Packers.

“I was brought up here for a reason, and I haven’t lived up to the reason they brought me up here,” Harrell said. “So, I don’t blame anybody for saying, ‘Oh, he’s injury prone.’ Because I am.”

Green Bay fans (or more pointedly, Ted Thompson haters) are in a tizzy because Aaron Kampman isn't talking to the media.

Now reporters are talking to other players about him. :wacko:

"I'm not Kampman's spokesman, so I can't comment for him," said fellow outside linebacker Brady Poppinga. "If you want a comment from him, you're going to have to go talk to him. I have nothing to say for 'Kampy'. If you want to talk about me, we can do that. I can't speak for anybody else. I'm not a spokesman."

Green Bay fans (or more pointedly, Ted Thompson haters) are in a tizzy because Aaron Kampman isn't talking to the media.

Now reporters are talking to other players about him. :wacko:

"I'm not Kampman's spokesman, so I can't comment for him," said fellow outside linebacker Brady Poppinga. "If you want a comment from him, you're going to have to go talk to him. I have nothing to say for 'Kampy'. If you want to talk about me, we can do that. I can't speak for anybody else. I'm not a spokesman."

Kampman needs to suck it up. Poppinga who isn't nearly as talented as he is handling this the right way. If Kampman is acting butt hurt then move him. He's not irreplacable.

Kampman needs to suck it up. Poppinga who isn't nearly as talented as he is handling this the right way. If Kampman is acting butt hurt then move him. He's not irreplacable.

Popinga went through this-moving from DE to LB. He'll help him.

Kampman had a job he liked and was good at. He wasn't Jared Allen but was a top player.

After this year he stands to make a lot of money and they want him to change positions where he won't be as good.

Top flight DE's make more than OLB's.

He'll adjust but maybe they should trade him..

Barnett refused to move to SLB too when his contract year was coming up.

Popinga went through this-moving from DE to LB. He'll help him.

Kampman had a job he liked and was good at. He wasn't Jared Allen but was a top player.

After this year he stands to make a lot of money and they want him to change positions where he won't be as good.

Top flight DE's make more than OLB's.

He'll adjust but maybe they should trade him..

Barnett refused to move to SLB too when his contract year was coming up.

Kampman will make substantial money regardless of this season. If he bombs at OLB, he'll be able to sign on as a DE in a 4-3 somewhere. Barnett refused, but didn't go into a state of pouting where he refused to speak to media. I'm just tired of these players pouting anytime something doesn't go exactly like they want it to.

Eh, I was thinking about this on two levels:

- I think Dom Capers is a heck of a DC. He'll maximize Kampy's potential and minimize what he doesn't do well. That's what good coaches do.

- Kampman is probably dealing with some frustrations at being asked to do things he hasn't done (at least hasn't done for quite some time). He may just be keeping his mouth shut so he doesn't say something he'll regret - or something that will get taken the wrong way and twisted around.

Eh, I was thinking about this on two levels:

- I think Dom Capers is a heck of a DC. He'll maximize Kampy's potential and minimize what he doesn't do well. That's what good coaches do.

- Kampman is probably dealing with some frustrations at being asked to do things he hasn't done (at least hasn't done for quite some time). He may just be keeping his mouth shut so he doesn't say something he'll regret - or something that will get taken the wrong way and twisted around.

Yes and what he's doing is hard. He may want to know he can do the job (see the light at the end of the tunnel) before commenting on it, Until he feels he can do a good job what's he supposed to say?

"This is hard man. I'm supposed to cover backs out of the backfield and receivers running crossing routes. It's hard"

Give him a little time. He'll talk when he feels better about what he can do. If pressed he may ask for a trade,

I want to hear how the other players are doing like Jenkins, Jolly, Harrell and Pickett.

Kampman will make substantial money regardless of this season. If he bombs at OLB, he'll be able to sign on as a DE in a 4-3 somewhere. Barnett refused, but didn't go into a state of pouting where he refused to speak to media. I'm just tired of these players pouting anytime something doesn't go exactly like they want it to.

He's pouting? Sterling refused to talk to the media at all after a bad story. Kampy isn't going that far.

Edited by Randall

Well, we know he's upset and not talking to the media. Call it frustration if you'd like, but I view it as pouting.

OK. I think the press should leave him alone for awhile knowing he will talk to them eventually. He's always been a standup guy with them in the past. Treat him with respect.

I read in one atory he knows they'll ask his teammates about him and that's his fault.

I don't agree with that statement.

Well he talked but maybe he shouldn't have. :wacko:

"Defensive-end-turned-linebacker Aaron Kampman finally addressed reporters about new role in the Packers' new defense. And perhaps Kampman, who hadn't talked publicly since Dom Capers was hired to install the 3-4 defense back in January, would have been better off not talking because what he said -- more importantly how he said it -- did little or nothing to dispel speculation that he's less than thrilled about the change.

In a somewhat terse exchange with reporters, Kampman gave unusually short answers. Perhaps the best question posed to him was this: If it were up to you, would you still be a 4-3 (defensive) end?

To which Kampman responded: "I'm not at liberty to make those choices."

And that's about how it went.

When asked if today's practice, with some good plays and some bad, has been typical for him in the new defense, Kampman said: "Yeah, there's always a learning curve."

When asked if he's doing extra studying of the playbook, he said: "Yes I am. Have to."

The brief answers were uncharacteristic of a guy who throughout his career has been media friendly.

ZMore on Kampman from the Press Gazette

♦ Do you like the defense? “I’m learning it,” Kampman said.

♦ Do you have to learn to like it? “I’m not saying I don’t like it,” he said. “I’m just saying I’m learning it.” :wacko:

♦ Will this be a good defense for the Packers? “Historically, it’s been a very good defense,” he said.

And so it went for almost seven minutes before Kampman ended the interview.

Perhaps most telling was his answer to the most blunt and direct question of the exchange: If it were you up to you, would you still be a 4-3 (defensive) end?

“I’m not at liberty to really make those choices,” Kampman said.

After five OTA practices, Kampman still seems uneasy about the change. However, during a red-zone drill late in practice, he looked adept at dropping into coverage when on third-and-5 from the 19-yard line, he broke up an Aaron Rodgers pass that was intended for receiver Brett Swain, a play that excited his position coach, Kevin Greene.

“It is odd seeing Aaron Kampman dropping back in coverage,” linebacker Nick Barnett said. “Since I’ve been here, what seven years with him, this is the first year I’ve seen him dropping into coverage. But I think he looks pretty good doing it. He’s still working on things just like everybody else has to work on learning things in this scheme, but I think he looks good. I’m excited to see where this year takes him.”

Part of Kampman’s uneasiness with the change might be rooted in that he’s entering the final year of the four-year, $21 million contract he signed in March 2006 before the first of his two Pro Bowl seasons. Perhaps the 29-year old Kampman is thinking that if he struggles in his new role, the Packers won’t want to re-sign him and his value on the open market won’t be as high as it once was.

Kampman refused to say whether his contract status had any bearing on his feelings about the defense.

Notebook: Kampman Focused On Learning

posted 06/03/2009

Aaron Kampman broke his self-imposed media silence on Wednesday following the Packers' organized team activity (OTA) workout, but he didn't shed much light on his true feelings regarding the new 3-4 defense or his position switch from defensive end to outside linebacker.

Kampman, who hadn't spoken publicly about the new defense or his new position all offseason, emphasized that he's learning the new system and wants to stay focused on football. One of the more media-friendly players during his first seven seasons in Green Bay, Kampman appeared disinterested in talking about the ongoing transition as well as uncomfortable with so much attention being focused on him.

"The whole defense is trying to learn and figure out the new techniques," he said. "I'm one of 11 in this defense."

A two-time Pro Bowler at defensive end, Kampman is faced with a number of changes in switching to outside linebacker. In the base 3-4 alignment, he's in a two-point stance rather than with his hand on the ground, and he'll be required to drop into pass coverage much more often than he did as a defensive end.

Kampman made a couple of plays in coverage during practice on Wednesday that drew audible praise from outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, one where he got a good jam on a receiver in the slot, and another where he ran down the running back in the flat to get in good position for a tackle on a swing pass.

Greene, one of the best 3-4 outside linebackers ever to play the position, is one of the most vocal coaches during practice. He's constantly chatting with the linebackers, including Kampman, and coaching in a very hands-on manner.

"He's a very intense man, he brings a lot to the table from experience, so I hope I can learn a lot from him," Kampman said. "I think Kevin has done a great job explaining what the roles are. You have to rush, you have to play the run hard, you have to be able to drop into coverage."

Kampman wouldn't address how comfortable he is just yet, only emphasizing that he's still learning. He says he didn't train any differently in the offseason and that he's still at the same playing weight, around 265 pounds, though it may be a little leaner 265 now. He also said he's putting in a lot of extra time on his own studying the new playbook.

If Kampman's reluctance to elaborate on what he's going through in the transition is a reflection of any hesitancy about the new defense, or if it's related at all to the fact that he's entering the final year of his contract - both of which have been the subject of speculation in media reports - it's not coming across to the coaching staff.

Last week Capers said that Kampman has been professional in his approach to the change from the beginning, and he was pleased with his progress. Head Coach Mike McCarthy echoed those thoughts again Wednesday.

"I think he has really fit in very well," McCarthy said. "I think he attacked the new defense just like you think Aaron would. He spent a lot of individual time with Kevin Greene over the last three months. You could see he has a complete understanding so far of the installs that we have put in there, and I think when you do reach that point as a player, regardless of what position, it gives you the ability to play faster."

Thompson Appears Fit For New Position

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com

posted 06/10/2009

When the 2008 season ended, the initial evaluation of Jeremy Thompson was that he'd need to add 10 to 15 pounds to his 270-pound frame to become a more all-around player at defensive end.

But with the switch to the 3-4 defense, and a position change for Thompson to outside linebacker, the weight issue shifted gears. During the offseason strength and conditioning program, Thompson dropped roughly 10 pounds to help with his speed and agility, and ever since then a trimmer, leaner Thompson has been No. 1 on the depth chart as a starting outside linebacker opposite Aaron Kampman.

"I have a big frame, but I'm pretty lean, pretty athletic," said Thompson, who is listed at 6-foot-4 and said after really strenuous workouts might weigh 255. "So I think body-wise I'm a pretty good fit. I just have to get my mentality to be an outside linebacker. I think I'm doing a pretty good job of that right now."

Thompson didn't shy away from the position switch in the slightest. Called a "natural fit for this defense" by Head Coach Mike McCarthy, Thompson used the one-on-one time with outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene during the offseason program to dive right in and learn everything he needed to.

As a defensive end in college at Wake Forest, Thompson had on occasion been assigned to drop into pass coverage like an outside linebacker does. So adding that to his duties defending the run and rushing the passer wasn't a foreign concept for the 2008 fourth-round draft pick.

But as a pure 3-4 outside backer, the additional pass coverage skills are needed more than just sparingly, and Thompson knew that in addition to shedding a few pounds, he would have to not only learn the techniques for dropping into coverage but also master them.

"He's been very conscientious along those lines," defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. "Which always makes an impression on me, because I think a big part of a guy developing in any scheme is what type of time he's willing to commit and do all the little things that maybe some guys won't do, and he's certainly done all those things.

"He's made progress and, through just a short period of time we've been around him, has been encouraging. I think he has the ability to play the position."

Capers cautioned not to read too much into who's taking snaps with the No. 1 unit during this month's OTAs, because there's expected to be significant competition for the job in training camp. Veteran Brady Poppinga and rookie first-round draft choice Clay Matthews, who are currently working with the No. 2 defense, will be in the mix and get their chance.

But to this point, more than halfway through OTAs, Thompson has stayed with the first unit, and that has its benefits. On Wednesday with the defense working on several pressure packages, he knifed through for what likely would have been clean sack of the quarterback during team (11-on-11) work.

"I think in terms of knowing the plays, it's pretty much the same -- the 1's and 2's get the same reps," he said. "But just working with the 1's, you kind of develop a chemistry with the other guys out there, and I think that will be good for me.

"They gave me the opportunity early, and I just tried to bone up on all the plays, know what I'm supposed to do, know where I'm supposed to be, and just try to do my best out there."

Thompson's rookie season at defensive end had its ups and downs. He was a healthy inactive for the first four games but then started to flash his ability at midseason, totaling eight of his 13 tackles on the year in back-to-back games against Seattle and Indianapolis.

But three weeks later he injured his groin, missing two games, then injured his knee and ankle upon his return and sat out another contest. Between the injuries and limited snaps the rest of the way, he didn't record a tackle over the season's final seven games.

That prompted the evaluation from then-defensive ends coach Carl Hairston that Thompson needed to bulk up a bit to become more effective and also endure the long pro season. But with the change in defensive scheme he was immediately pegged by the new coaches as an outside linebacker candidate, and thus far he's made the transition relatively smoothly.

"Through practice there's going to be two or three plays, all right, that things (won't go well) just because he's never seen them before," Capers said. "But I think he's one of those guys that once he sees them, he normally responds to it, and you learn from it.

"He's working extremely hard at it. He's doing a good job mentally. I think he can be a physical presence out there, and I think when he gets in situations where backs have to block him, it will be tough duty for them because of his size and athletic ability. Once we get the pads on him, hopefully we feel the same way."

So does Thompson, who would love nothing more than to go from such a limited role as a rookie to a starter in his second year. That would be a dramatic leap, to say the least, and while there's a long way to go before anything is decided, Thompson's quest has begun as well as anyone could have hoped.

"They've giving me an opportunity to compete for the starting job, and I want to take that opportunity and try and run with it," he said. "For whatever reason last year things didn't click for me, but now it's a new year, and I'm ready to look forward and do things the right way this year.

"Right now I see myself as a work in progress, but by the time camp comes I want to be one of the best."

* The Packers signed three late-round draft picks -- DE Jarius Wynn, CB Brandon Underwood and OLB Brad Jones -- on Tuesday but have yet to begin talks with the agent for top picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews. That's not particularly surprising, since we're still a little more than six weeks away from training camp. But it's worth pointing out that negotiations with first-round picks tend to be more complicated and this is the first time since 1993 that the Packers have had two of them.

Last year, five teams had multiple first-round picks. Only five of the 10 picks were signed on time, but only one team -- Dallas, which was negotiating with Eugene Parker on deals for Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins -- had both players miss a full day of workouts.

In the end, getting a big-money deal right is more important than getting it done on time, provided a player doesn't miss an extended portion of camp. It's on Packers negotiator Russ Ball and General Manager Ted Thompson to make sure that happens.

* The Packers signed three late-round draft picks -- DE Jarius Wynn, CB Brandon Underwood and OLB Brad Jones -- on Tuesday but have yet to begin talks with the agent for top picks B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews. That's not particularly surprising, since we're still a little more than six weeks away from training camp. But it's worth pointing out that negotiations with first-round picks tend to be more complicated and this is the first time since 1993 that the Packers have had two of them.

Last year, five teams had multiple first-round picks. Only five of the 10 picks were signed on time, but only one team -- Dallas, which was negotiating with Eugene Parker on deals for Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins -- had both players miss a full day of workouts.

In the end, getting a big-money deal right is more important than getting it done on time, provided a player doesn't miss an extended portion of camp. It's on Packers negotiator Russ Ball and General Manager Ted Thompson to make sure that happens.

Anyone know who Matthews and Raji's agents are? I'm not worried about either of them with there contracts.

Anyone know who Matthews and Raji's agents are? I'm not worried about either of them with there contracts.

Last I heard they are both represeted by Athletes First VP Mark Humenik.

From the Press Gazette-TJ Lang-

Rodgers said fourth-round draft pick T.J. Lang has been the most impressive rookie on the offensive line. But Rodgers thinks third-year pro Allen Barbre, who worked with the No. 1 offense throughout OTAs, deserves to be considered the favorite in his battle with Giacomini and Lang for the starting right-tackle job. “I think you’ve got to give Barbre the edge right now,” Rodgers said. “He’s doing a nice job, and his thing is just mental — being mentally (aware), comprehend our scheme. He’s got all the physical tools.” … The minicamp, scheduled for Monday through Wednesday, will focus on review and corrections after the ninth and final offensive and defensive installations are completed at the last OTA practice today.

Pete Dougherty contributed.

Edited by Randall