[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick looks to return in June 2009.

WaterMan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pitbulls, not dogs. Pitbulls are not pets. What he did was wrong, but he's done his time and people need to get off their high horse. Leonard Little killed someone. Ray Lewis killed someone. Vick killed pits.

He tortured them too. If he just killed them that wouldn't be cruelty in most states. Attaching electrodes and turning up the current with water pouring down is illegal and should be in most states.

He deserves a suspension from the NFL too. Bringing up worse people doesn't make Vick look better.

He tortured them too. If he just killed them that wouldn't be cruelty in most states. Attaching electrodes and turning up the current with water pouring down is illegal and should be in most states.

He deserves a suspension from the NFL too. Bringing up worse people doesn't make Vick look better.

This is true. But were talking FF here. Hell I play Fantasy Death Row Inmates so I sure as hell am not gonna let my personal feelings for what Vick did control my FF decisions. The guy was convicted, did/is doing his time as set forth by the laws of this country. Sending people to prison is what we do. He needs counseling as well for sure. But in our society, this is how we "reform" somebody. Lock him away in a 8x8ft cell for years to contemplate his actions. Ok I think I've gone as far as I want to on that cause I don't wanna be labeled a Vick lover lol.

But anybody that refuses to draft/pickup Vick based on there moral stance is just plain being silly.

This is true. But were talking FF here. Hell I play Fantasy Death Row Inmates so I sure as hell am not gonna let my personal feelings for what Vick did control my FF decisions. The guy was convicted, did/is doing his time as set forth by the laws of this country. Sending people to prison is what we do. He needs counseling as well for sure. But in our society, this is how we "reform" somebody. Lock him away in a 8x8ft cell for years to contemplate his actions. Ok I think I've gone as far as I want to on that cause I don't wanna be labeled a Vick lover lol.

But anybody that refuses to draft/pickup Vick based on there moral stance is just plain being silly.

He did his time for gambling not for dog killing. I don't want to see him banned but think he should be punished further.

That said I could him as a slash, but as a QB? Was her ever consistent enough to start?

Maybe in a QBBC.

You can pick him up in a dynasty and not have to assign a contract until august. By that time we may now if he can play this year.

I think he's already been out of the league for long enough. I think he's already paid his debt and should be let back in. And I was bringing those guys up because they've done way worse and got off easier. Heck, so did pacman.

That said I could him as a slash, but as a QB? Was her ever consistent enough to start?

He took the falcons to the top in rushing yards for a team and has a winning record. He's dynamic, and isn't the traditional qb, but the guy got results.

Actually I already have put in bids for him in a few leagues. At $1 for 3-4 years, he's a bargain for a starting QB. Not a terrible investment at all.

That is a bargain for a starting QB, but he never was and never will be a good QB. With this wildcat or whatever some teams call it he may get a shot and see a little action. Just wondering how much sitting in a jail cell has taken on his physical condition and staying in playing shape.

:wacko:And he was working with a rescued Vick dog here

I think he's already been out of the league for long enough. I think he's already paid his debt and should be let back in. And I was bringing those guys up because they've done way worse and got off easier. Heck, so did pacman.

He took the falcons to the top in rushing yards for a team and has a winning record. He's dynamic, and isn't the traditional qb, but the guy got results.

Results? What is the goal of every NFL team? I guess if it is to be at the top of the league in rushing yards he is your man. If it is to win a Super Bowl...Mikey is NOT ever going to get you there. Results...LMFAO!

So I assume you would never roster "The Murderer", or any player that's been arrested for domestic violence either?

So I assume you would never roster "The Murderer", or any player that's been arrested for domestic violence either?

Convicted criminals? Probably no.t I have Ray Lewis on one team but didn't draft him. I did have Leonard Little on one but wasn't happy about it. I don't anymore.

Domestic violence? Depends on what they did.

If I were Goodell. I'd give Vick a 1 year suspension because he hasn't paid for that yet. Like I said I don't think he should be banned.

Edited by Randall

Not that killing is ever right, but people can somewhat understand making a mistake in the heat of the moment. People can also understand that it is possible for someone to have such anger or jealousy toward another person that they don't think about the consequences of their actions. I think that's why an alleged murderer like Ray Lewis is still a relatively popular player in the NFL (well that and he never got convicted of anything). But when a guy tortures and kills animals in the name of sport, with all of his actions premeditated and his only regret getting caught (he'd still be doing it if he hadn't been caught - guaranteed), people can't understand that level of inhumanity and evil.

I doubt Vick sees another minute in the NFL. People are passionate about their dogs. Vick's upside at 30 doesn't outweigh whatever locker room chemistry damage (I'm sure many NFL players love their dogs) or PR damage that would ensue. Not even Al Davis is that stupid.

Not that killing is ever right, but people can somewhat understand making a mistake in the heat of the moment. People can also understand that it is possible for someone to have such anger or jealousy toward another person that they don't think about the consequences of their actions. I think that's why an alleged murderer like Ray Lewis is still a relatively popular player in the NFL (well that and he never got convicted of anything). But when a guy tortures and kills animals in the name of sport, with all of his actions premeditated and his only regret getting caught (he'd still be doing it if he hadn't been caught - guaranteed), people can't understand that level of inhumanity and evil.

I doubt Vick sees another minute in the NFL. People are passionate about their dogs. Vick's upside at 30 doesn't outweigh whatever locker room chemistry damage (I'm sure many NFL players love their dogs) or PR damage that would ensue. Not even Al Davis is that stupid.

you lost me at

"Not even Al Davis is that stupid."

• 2 weeks later...

QB Vick Released For Home Confinement

Larry O'Dell, Associated Press - [Full Article]

A Virginia government official says imprisoned NFL star Michael Vick has been approved for release to home confinement. Vick's lawyers have said they expected him to be moved any day into a halfway house in Newport News, Va. But the official says there's no bed space, so Vick could be released to his Hampton, Va. home as soon as May 21st.

Curious to read some people lecturing about FF and picking up Vick, but completely ignore what the NFL is about - which is business.

Does anyone wonder why the NFL fines in regard to seemingly menial things like the height of socks? It perception of the image that they put on the field. It's also why they have taken the lead (by a wide margin) in regulating drugs in the pro sports and have lead for a long time - with the blessing of the NFLPA no less. The NFL realizes exactly that they are a big business first and a sport second. It's what makes them so incredibly successful - they are acutely aware of their public image at all times. They carefully weigh the impact of players who perform negative acts with the impact of those same players on the field and punish accordingly.

Because the NFL is acutely aware of its image and the public perception of it, I would expect that signing Vick would be actively discouraged. That wouldn't predispose some moron like Greasy Al from signing him, since he loves nothing more than to spit in the league's eye every chance he gets, and the dog cruelty charges will probably be a badge of honor in the Black Hole. That is if Vick is allowed by the league to play - and it is quite possible (and likely, I might add) that the league will place some substantial suspension on Vick above & beyond his jail term - mostly because of the probable adverse reaction by fans. Furthermore - the league has every right to do so.

As to whether I would add Vick to any of my FF teams? No thanks. First off, the rules and interpretations in the NFL are slanted even more to passing and to accurate passers - and that's hardly Vick's strong suit. Vick's FF impact will be proportionately less even if he were capble of returning 100% - which I seriously question after such a long layoff. Secondly, I play FF for enjoyment and competition amongst the owners first & foremost, meaning I don't draft guys whom I simply can't root for as players, for better or for worse. It's why I don't have T.O. on any team, never have had him, and never will have him. I can find a comparable player at what I consider to be a comparable draft value at the point where I would draft him, and someone else with lower standards than mine will pick him up before he becomes such a bargain that I simply couldn't bypass him any further.

If your philosophy in FF is to win at all costs no matter what - have at it. Me? It's an immensely enjoyable hobby. It's not worth having to cheer for a turd of enormous proportions while watching on Sundays.

As to whether I would add Vick to any of my FF teams? No thanks. First off, the rules and interpretations in the NFL are slanted even more to passing and to accurate passers - and that's hardly Vick's strong suit. Vick's FF impact will be proportionately less even if he were capble of returning 100% - which I seriously question after such a long layoff.

I won't argue with your second point, it's the same reason I have a hard time having any Dallas Cowboy's on my fantasy teams. But as for your first point, it assumes that Michael Vick will play QB in the NFL again. I don't doubt he will try QB, I also don't doubt that given the time off and his average abilities as a QB will mean he will fail at that endeavor.

However, given his financial situation and athletic ability, is it too much of a reach to wager that he could have success in the NFL as a RB? Especially in the "wildcat" era and before you say "he's too small" let's look at the stats:

Vick's 6'0" and 215 during his last NFL season

Let's look at 08's Leading Rushers

All Day Adrian is 6'1" 217

Turner 5'10 and 244

DWill 5'9" and 217

Portis 5'11" and 221

Jones 5'10' and 215

He's comparably sized to Peterson, Portis, and Jones (With Portis and Jones being stockier and smaller)...obviously he's built differently, but the man was essentially a RB with the Falcons and I believe he could have 2-3 good years as an NFL RB on the right team.

WashD

I won't argue with your second point, it's the same reason I have a hard time having any Dallas Cowboy's on my fantasy teams. But as for your first point, it assumes that Michael Vick will play QB in the NFL again. I don't doubt he will try QB, I also don't doubt that given the time off and his average abilities as a QB will mean he will fail at that endeavor.

However, given his financial situation and athletic ability, is it too much of a reach to wager that he could have success in the NFL as a RB? Especially in the "wildcat" era and before you say "he's too small" let's look at the stats:

Vick's 6'0" and 215 during his last NFL season

Let's look at 08's Leading Rushers

All Day Adrian is 6'1" 217

Turner 5'10 and 244

DWill 5'9" and 217

Portis 5'11" and 221

Jones 5'10' and 215

He's comparably sized to Peterson, Portis, and Jones (With Portis and Jones being stockier and smaller)...obviously he's built differently, but the man was essentially a RB with the Falcons and I believe he could have 2-3 good years as an NFL RB on the right team.

WashD

:D

You asking him to sit out a minimum of two seasons, return to the NFL afterwards, and the change positions to a position where he will be learning the ropes at 29 yrs old when 30 yrs old is retirement age for RBs who have had a full career?

Good luck with that.

BTW - Vick is the about same size & weight as guys like Mario Bates, James Sims Jr, Kevin McDougal, Nick Maddox, and Vick King. So what?

:wacko: @ comparing Vick to Peterson & Portis

I put bids of $1 for Vick shortly after my post above and the auction is still ongoing. 1 league he's up to $45 :wacko:

The most I'd spend on Vick is $5.

Wow.

Vick did put fans in the seats and made the Falcons a lot of money, but I wonder what would happen now.

I think Goodell will still suspend him but we'll see. He will probably determine what he'll do when he meets with Vick.

Well I assumed I didn't need to go into his other comparative skills at RB?

7.34 career ypc

1000 yard rushing season in 2006

3800 yards career rushing

How did Mario Bates, James Sims Jr, Kevin McDougal, Nick Maddox, and Vick King do in those categories?

And I compared Vick to Peterson & Portis as a rebuttal to the "he's too small" argument I've heard before, it's clearly not the fundamental reason he could find success as a RB.

And I should be clear here, I'm not saying Vick is going to light the world on fire as a RB, I just think there is a chance he could be productive in that capacity for a few years, and that chance is both greater than him being productive at QB and worth more of a risk in a FF perspective then some of the other marginally talented players you are going to find at the end of your drafts.

Edited by WashingtonD

:wacko:

You asking him to sit out a minimum of two seasons, return to the NFL afterwards, and the change positions to a position where he will be learning the ropes at 29 yrs old when 30 yrs old is retirement age for RBs who have had a full career?

He has a 29 yr old body which hasn't been through the workloads of RBs. I'm sure you can agree during this day and age of medicine/steroids that players are going strong until 40.

We're seeing alot of players retiring not because they can't do it, but because they would rather enjoy their money or be on TV.

Well I assumed I didn't need to go into his other comparative skills at RB?

7.34 career ypc

1000 yard rushing season in 2006

3800 yards career rushing

How did Mario Bates, James Sims Jr, Kevin McDougal, Nick Maddox, and Vick King do in those categories?

And I compared Vick to Peterson & Portis as a rebuttal to the "he's too small" argument I've heard before, it's clearly not the fundamental reason he could find success as a RB.

And I should be clear here, I'm not saying Vick is going to light the world on fire as a RB, I just think there is a chance he could be productive in that capacity for a few years, and that chance is both greater than him being productive at QB and worth more of a risk in a FF perspective then some of the other marginally talented players you are going to find at the end of your drafts.

I guess the whole point is that there is a world of difference between dropping back to pass, breaking contain, and running in the open field with the back 7/8 players spread out in their pass drops and running where the D is reading run from the start of the play and filling/scraping into the LoS from the onset of a play.

I won't even get into pass protection & route running that the players who have played RB their whole career have to master to get regular reps in the backfield. Vick has had virtually no development of these required skills.

He has a 29 yr old body which hasn't been through the workloads of RBs. I'm sure you can agree during this day and age of medicine/steroids that players are going strong until 40.

[/qu

Could you name me even one active player making significant contributions whose primary responsibility is running the football and who is 40 yrs old? How about 33?

Vick at a minimum wouldn't be ready for meaningful regular contributions until he is at least 31 - assuming the NFL reinstates him.