[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any hope for the Big 10

Rockerbraves

Wow! What exactly is the Big 10 doing wrong these past few years? Is there any hope for this struggling football conference?

Until the Big Ten gets back on it's feet, the Rose Bowl should either allow USC to play in another bowl or start inviting non Big 10 teams to it's BCS game.

Big 10 football

6-straight BCS losses

1-6 in Bowl games this year

6-16 in bowl games the past 3 seasons

9-20 in bowl games the past 4 seasons

12-23 in bowl games the past 5 seasons

15-28 in bowl games the past 6 seasons

Last winning bowl season - 2002

Made the same comment to a co-worker yesterday, he was talking about the old tradition of the Bowl games and how he wished it would revert back to that, I said the Rose Bowl should change and allow another conference in. It hurts SC as they get a cupcake win every year and the rest of the country thinks they did not prove anything all year in the Pack 10, and then don't in the Rose Bowl either...suck for them...I am sure they will find a way to try and claim "part" of another National Championship somehow......

A playoff ends all this talk but then you wouldn't have this dead horse to beat upon any more. What would you possibly be able to talk about then?

Made the same comment to a co-worker yesterday, he was talking about the old tradition of the Bowl games and how he wished it would revert back to that, I said the Rose Bowl should change and allow another conference in. It hurts SC as they get a cupcake win every year and the rest of the country thinks they did not prove anything all year in the Pack 10, and then don't in the Rose Bowl either...suck for them...I am sure they will find a way to try and claim "part" of another National Championship somehow......

Notre Dame's lack of success also sucks for the Trojans. :wacko:

gonna be tough for them, in all honesty, and alot of it comes down to geography IMO. The best talent comes from FLA,TX and CAL.

Are those kids going to seriously give up the sunny, kick ass schools in those states to go to Ohio, Mich and the other cold weather states? negative

the rust belt is STRUGGLING in alot of ways- more people are leaving than coming in- I think

the best talent are going to stay in FLA, TX and CAL - and throw in some other warm schools like AZ, NC, GA, etc - and it is going to be a constant uphill battle IMO

not to mention the coaching in the Big 10 seems down, while the SEC, Big 12 and Pac 10 are pretty established and strong thru the coaching ranks........

gonna be tough for them, in all honesty, and alot of it comes down to geography IMO. The best talent comes from FLA,TX and CAL.

Are those kids going to seriously give up the sunny, kick ass schools in those states to go to Ohio, Mich and the other cold weather states? negative

the rust belt is STRUGGLING in alot of ways- more people are leaving than coming in- I think

the best talent are going to stay in FLA, TX and CAL - and throw in some other warm schools like AZ, NC, GA, etc - and it is going to be a constant uphill battle IMO

not to mention the coaching in the Big 10 seems down, while the SEC, Big 12 and Pac 10 are pretty established and strong thru the coaching ranks........

I thought football was pretty big in PA, Ohio, and Michigan too?

Looking at Rival's Top 25 Team Recruiting Rankings it seems the Big 10 (along with ND) has some decent talent. Of course only 7 out of the 12 teams are even represented.

2006 - Penn State 6th, ND 8th, tOSU 12th, Michigan 13th

2007 - ND 8th, Michigan 12th, tOSU 15th, Illinois 20th

2008 - ND 2nd, tOSU 4th, Michigan 10th, Minnesota 17th, Illinois 23rd

2009 - tOSU 2nd, Michigan 7th, ND 14th, Mich St 16th, Penn St. 20th, Illinois 25th

Looking at Rival's Top 25 Team Recruiting Rankings it seems the Big 10 (along with ND) has some decent talent. Of course only 7 out of the 12 teams are even represented.

2006 - Penn State 6th, ND 8th, tOSU 12th, Michigan 13th

2007 - ND 8th, Michigan 12th, tOSU 15th, Illinois 20th

2008 - ND 2nd, tOSU 4th, Michigan 10th, Minnesota 17th, Illinois 23rd

2009 - tOSU 2nd, Michigan 7th, ND 14th, Mich St 16th, Penn St. 20th, Illinois 25th

well, with ND and Mich highly represented, we know for certain that recruiting ranking does not equal on the field talent.

see Oregon going to Ann Arbor and humiliating the Wolverines with superior speed and athletes.

The top programs still are going into the midwest and cherry- picking the best players......

well, with ND and Mich highly represented, we know for certain that recruiting ranking does not equal on the field talent.

see Oregon going to Ann Arbor and humiliating the Wolverines with superior speed and athletes.

Hey don't discount the talent at Oregon which was ranked 11th in 2007 and 19th in 2008. Just saying...

Maybe the Big 10 isn't paying as well as the SEC of late :wacko:

No excuse to let in state talent go elsewhere, when Pinkel got to Mizzou he could not believe that HS coaches would not even talk to him about their top players...he changed that, still has a ways to go, but made some nice improvements.

Let me simplify this for you. They've simply run into better football teams.

2006: Florida, USC

2007: LSU, USC

2008: USC, Texas

They've run into really good-great teams. What would other peoples bowl records be if they played USC 3 straight years? Not making an excuse, it's just reality. The Big Ten doesn't have the luxury of pitting our 2nd best team against Hawaii or some overrated Notre Dame team (when we did we won too). We don't have bowl tie-ins to play Boise State or Utah.

I don't view this as some sort of crisis. I would rather give credit to the teams that win the game, particularly when the fans of those teams seem to put so much stock in beating the pitiful Big ten teams.

They've run into really good-great teams. What would other peoples bowl records be if they played USC 3 straight years? Not making an excuse, it's just reality. The Big Ten doesn't have the luxury of pitting our 2nd best team against Hawaii or some overrated Notre Dame team (when we did we won too). We don't have bowl tie-ins to play Boise State or Utah.

I don't view this as some sort of crisis. I would rather give credit to the teams that win the game, particularly when the fans of those teams seem to put so much stock in beating the pitiful Big ten teams.

While I think the Big-10 is probably down a bit, this is a good post, makes sense, and I tend to agree...

6-straight BCS losses

1-6 in Bowl games this year

6-16 in bowl games the past 3 seasons

9-20 in bowl games the past 4 seasons

12-23 in bowl games the past 5 seasons

15-28 in bowl games the past 6 seasons

Last winning bowl season - 2002

save the USC excuse, it doesn't hold water - these are the numbers and they don't lie - the Big 10 just isn't getting it done and the other conferences have passed them by.

The Big 10 is/has been struggling, there is no way around it - now these things may be cyclical, and time will tell but it appears the other conferences are just putting a better product on the field.

save the USC excuse, it doesn't hold water - these are the numbers and they don't lie - the Big 10 just isn't getting it done and the other conferences have passed them by.

The Big 10 is/has been struggling, there is no way around it - now these things may be cyclical, and time will tell but it appears the other conferences are just putting a better product on the field.

I agree with Wildcat on this one. Take for instance the Rose Bowl. Not only has the Big 10 not won one in a very, very long time, but they haven't even been competitive. Sort of says it all when a Texas fan can brag his Longhorns have more Rose Bowl victories than the entire Big 10 combined since the year 2000.

I'd be very surprised if anybody changes a 100+ year tradition based on a trend that has lasted less than a decade. The Big Ten has lost nine straight, which I'll admit is a pretty bad trend. Prior to that, they won four in a row, and seven out of eight. Should the Pac 10 have been taken out of the Rose Bowl equation after that stretch? :wacko:

wildcat, the point is, when it comes to bowls, the Big Ten year in and year out have the toughest bowl slate, and it's not even close. Combine that the past 3 years, the top of the conference has not been as good, and you have what you have. A recipe for some butt whoopings. What would the Pac 10's bowl record be like if they played 3 SEC teams most years, plus a team the equivalent of a program like USC (there isn't one really at this point in time) You have the luxury of sending your 2nd best team in against a mid-pack Big 12 team every year, while our 2nd best team plays Texas (this year) and USC (the previous 2) .