[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hoisin Sauce

Big Country

So, I bought some Hoisin sauce the other day as I see it mentioned in a lot of recipes and figured I;d give it a try. of course, once I get home with it, I go blank on some things I wanted to try. Was thinking of using is as sort of a BBQ sauce with steak or chicken while grilling it to give it an asian flair, but, I am looking for other tasty ways to utilize it.

Thoughts

We likely go through several gallons of it per week here.

One very simple thing to do with it is use it as a dip for things like crudite or spring rolls or the like. Also lettuce wraps with grilled meat. Super easy, very healthy and crazy good.

Grill up some chicken or beef, slice it thinly and sever it along with some slivered green onion, mint leaves, cilantro, and shredded carrots that you marinated briefly with rice vinegar and salt. Everyone takes lettuce leaves and makes little burritos using a bit of hoisin. Sounds like a fun family meal to me.

We also use a ton in marinades and braises. Here's our basic marinade for roast pork. Understand that I just cut and pasted from our recipe book, so the portions are massive and they're written in a manner that a line cook would understand.

Hanging Pork Marinade

1 #5 Can Hoisin

1.5 Cup Soy Sauce

1.5# Brown Sugar

1.5 Cup Sherry

Enough For 4 shoulders. Marinate at least 24 hours and up to 3 days.

A #5 can is, I think, 48 oz, so you can do the math in terms of backing everything else back.

Here's two braises featuring the stuff:

Pork Braise

1 Cup Soy Sauce

2 Cups Sherry

.5 Cups Ginger

.5 Cups Garlic

1 Cup Sugar

2 Cups Hoisin

2 Quarts Chicken Stock

2 Shoulders Cut into large bite size pieces

Brown Pork in cast iron pan 1 layer at a time and place in hotel pan with remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to boil on stove top and braise, uncovered in the oven for 2 hours or until pork is tender without falling apart.

Vietnamese Style Baby Back Ribs

6 racks

2 Cups hoisin

1 Cup Ginger

.5 Cup Lemongrass

1 Cup Fish Sauce

2 Cups Sherry

2 Cups Sweet Chili Sauce

Cover Racks with remaining ingredients in hotel pan. Cover with foil and braise for 2 hours at 350. Remove racks to a sheet pan. Skim fat from liquid and reduce until thick enough to loosely coat ribs. Roast until ribs are browned (about 20 minutes). Cool and portion. Thin braise slightly. Warm ribs to order in braising liquid and garnish with mint and cilantro.

A hotel pan is a very large casserole or roasting pan.

hoisin/lime sauce- from ming

1/2 c plus 2 tbs canola oil

1/2 c finely chopped shallot

1/4 c minced garlic

1 c hoisin

1/2 c lime juice

1/2 c chopped candied ginger

1 tsp ground white pepper

1/2 tsp salt

heat skillet or saute pan over med heat. add 2 tbs oil. allow to heat. add shallots and garlic. cook until soft. add hoisin, cook for about 3 min. add lime juice, ginger, salt and pepper. blend until pureed. us 1/2 c oil to create an emulsion. i use this one a bit and add misc ingreadients (sambal, shracha, pineapple or guava juice, cilantro, sherry vin, soy)

2 c hoisin

4 tbs smabal

2 bunches of gr onion, sliced

1 c red wine

1/2 c minced ginger

1/2 c minced garlic

2 tbs ground blk pepper

a dressing i make at home:

1 c hoisin

sliced gr onion

1 tbs toasted sesame oil

about an oz of water (really as needed to get the right consistancy)

easy for chicken salad... with won ton skins, chopped peanuts, cilantro

Edited by Bier Meister