[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 Keeper RB's for next year

Capt. Stanky

I read Rotoworld's take on the top 30 keepers going into next season. It got me thinking about the top 5 RB's going into next year. They have them ranked accordingly:

1. AP

2. MJD

3. Forte

4. S-Jax

5. Chris Johnson

I just wanted to get some opinions. That list seems pretty good to me. Anyone that you'd have in the top 5 instead? I got all warm and fuzzy after reading their list, because I have MJD, Forte and S-Jax in a Dynasty league :wacko:

Edited by Capt. Stanky

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Westbrook owner in the past I want nothing to do with him. He's at the magical age when RB's tend to start to wear down. The inevitable Questionable status from week to week can be infuriating as well. I could see MBarber on the list rather than possibly Chris Johnson or S-Jax, but we could see even more of a committe aproach next year to save MBIII's legs for late in the season and possible playoffs. Slaton was great this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Houston drafts a goaline/change of pace masher to go along with Slaton.

I'm not convinced that MJD would be even in the top 10. He hasn't been able to over take an aging Taylor for a couple of years now. Forte hasn't earned that kind of ranking either IMO.

Peterson

Turner

D Williams

???

???

Forte hasn't earned that kind of ranking either IMO.

:wacko: I'm not sure how you figure. dude was the #1 scoring RB in all of football in PPR leagues. #4 in standard performance. all I can say is I love me some matt forte, both for what he did for me in 2008, and as a prospect going forward. #1 AD, #2 forte :D

going to be a flat-out crap-shoot next year as to where guys should be ranked.

Can anyone say with any real certainty that Forte/Sjax/Johnson are going to be better than any of the following:

Westbrook

Portis

Barber

Turner

Addai

D. Williams

P. Thomas

Gore

Lynch

T. Jones

K. Smith

LT

Jacobs

Slaton

LJ

Add these guys to the top-5 originally posted, and that is one heck of a top-20....and it doesn't even include guys like Lendale, Bush, Stewart, Parker, McClain, and whoever is running the ball in Seattle, New England, Tampa, Cleveland & Cincy.

Amazingly deep next year, and absoultely no bonafide way to rank them.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Assuming this is PPR, MJD deserves top 5 regardless if he's featured or in a RBBC. The guy puts up big numbers regardless. I need to see another year from Turner who I see dropping off next year. It's doubtful he matches this years numbers and he's hardly involved in the passing game. I'd go with:

AP

MJD

S-Jax

Forte

C. Johnson

The real wildcard is Pierre Thomas. With Bush having microfracture surgery (and being a glorified 3rd down RB anyway), Thomas could step in and put up huge numbers. Westbrook should be off the keeper radar with his age and injury history. The Eagles would be idiots not to complement him next year with another RB or groom his replacement.

:wacko: I'm not sure how you figure. dude was the #1 scoring RB in all of football in PPR leagues. #4 in standard performance. all I can say is I love me some matt forte, both for what he did for me in 2008, and as a prospect going forward. #1 AD, #2 forte :D

Got 'em both in a dynasty along with MBIII. :D

I'll have to see what SJax does in pre-season. I might put Steve Slaton over him.

Marion Barber should be on that list, but with Jerry Jones insantiy...

No Westbrook?

I like your thinking. Westbrook should be there.

I really like Gore's chances of bouncing back into the top five. Singletary is almost certainly going to bring in a run-first OC. There were many games this year when Martz simply abandoned the run (I think I remembering hearing that, in one game, they threw something like 17 straight plays). The Niners next year are going to run first, then run some more, than run again after that. After that, they'll pass... and Gore will catch more passes as well (again), now that Martz isn't running the offense. More dump-off's from Hill, and less looking 20-25 yards down field, like Martz prefers to do.

My top ten keeper RB's (off the top of my head):

Peterson

Forte

Turner

Portis

Gore

MJD

Westbrook

Barber

Slaton

Lynch

There are some other great prospective keeper RB's out there (Johnson, Stewart, Smith, etc.), but none that I would be comfortable with as my RB1, regardless of whether it's a keeper league or not (unless the ten above were gone and I drafted late enough in the first round to pair one of them up with a top WR).

Edit: Changed my list/comments once I read that we were talking about keepers, not redraft. :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

going to be a flat-out crap-shoot next year as to where guys should be ranked.

Can anyone say with any real certainty that Forte/Sjax/Johnson are going to be better than any of the following:

Westbrook

Portis

Barber

Turner

Addai

D. Williams

P. Thomas

Gore

Lynch

T. Jones

K. Jones

LT

Jacobs

Slaton

LJ

Add these guys to the top-5 originally posted, and that is one heck of a top-20....and it doesn't even include guys like Lendale, Bush, Stewart, Parker, McClain, and whoever is running the ball in Seattle, New England, Tampa, Cleveland & Cincy.

Amazingly deep next year, and absoultely no bonafide way to rank them.

who is k jones?

Edited by Jackass

Yes, he did very well... for half of a season. The FF Graveyard is littered with the bones of forgotten players who have had a great half of a season. I just want to see more out of him before I crown him. If you want to crown him, go ahead and crown him... but he is who I THOUGHT he was. Wait, what the hell was my point again? :D

FWIW (not much), here are CBS's rankings:

Running Backs

1 Adrian Peterson MIN $33

2 Michael Turner ATL $32

3 DeAngelo Williams CAR $30

4 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC $28 4

5 Matt Forte CHI $27

6 Frank Gore SF $25

7 Brian Westbrook PHI $25

8 Steve Slaton HOU $24

9 Marion Barber DAL $22

10 Chris Johnson TEN $21

11 Steven Jackson STL $20

12 Marshawn Lynch BUF $19

13 Clinton Portis WAS $18

14 LaDainian Tomlinson SD $18

15 Brandon Jacobs NYG $18

16 Joseph Addai IND $16

17 Thomas Jones NYJ $16

18 Kevin Smith DET $14

19 Ryan Grant GB $14

20 Pierre Thomas NO $12

I'm not convinced that MJD would be even in the top 10. He hasn't been able to over take an aging Taylor for a couple of years now. Forte hasn't earned that kind of ranking either IMO.

Peterson

Turner

D Williams

???

???

MJD was the #3 back in standard PPR Leagues this year. The only negative in his game up to this point has been consistency. If Taylor is out of the picture, and another RB isn't brought in to take a significant portion of carries, MJD should be far more consistent. To read all of my thoughts on MJD, as well as many others, see this post MJD

Yes, he did very well... for half of a season. The FF Graveyard is littered with the bones of forgotten players who have had a great half of a season. I just want to see more out of him before I crown him. If you want to crown him, go ahead and crown him... but he is who I THOUGHT he was. Wait, what the hell was my point again? :D

wait, what? :D

which half season are you referring to? the first 8 games, when he averaged 19.1 points per game, or the last 8 games, when he averaged 18.9 points? :wacko:

forte week by week:

1 23.10 at Colts

2 14.30 at Panthers

3 28.50 vs Buccaneers

4 13.50 vs Eagles

5 22.10 at Lions

6 22.00 at Falcons

7 15.30 vs Vikings

8 Bye

9 14.10 vs Lions

10 25.60 vs Titans

11 16.40 at Packers

12 27.60 at Rams

13 22.50 at Vikings

14 15.60 vs Jaguars

15 17.30 vs Saints

16 18.10 vs Packers

Edited by Azazello1313

wait, what? :D

which half season are you referring to? the first 8 games, when he averaged 19.1 points per game, or the last 8 games, when he averaged 18.9 points? :wacko:

forte week by week:

1 23.10 at Colts

2 14.30 at Panthers

3 28.50 vs Buccaneers

4 13.50 vs Eagles

5 22.10 at Lions

6 22.00 at Falcons

7 15.30 vs Vikings

8 Bye

9 14.10 vs Lions

10 25.60 vs Titans

11 16.40 at Packers

12 27.60 at Rams

13 22.50 at Vikings

14 15.60 vs Jaguars

15 17.30 vs Saints

16 18.10 vs Packers

I to have a huge Man Crush on Forte. He's not flashy, but the kid just produces. He was by far the most consistent RB this year. I do see a bit of a drop off next year, but he should still be very solid.

FWIW (not much), here are CBS's rankings:

Running Backs

1 Adrian Peterson MIN $33

2 Michael Turner ATL $32

3 DeAngelo Williams CAR $30

4 Maurice Jones-Drew JAC $28 4

5 Matt Forte CHI $27

6 Frank Gore SF $25

7 Brian Westbrook PHI $25

8 Steve Slaton HOU $24

9 Marion Barber DAL $22

10 Chris Johnson TEN $21

11 Steven Jackson STL $20

12 Marshawn Lynch BUF $19

13 Clinton Portis WAS $18

14 LaDainian Tomlinson SD $18

15 Brandon Jacobs NYG $18

16 Joseph Addai IND $16

17 Thomas Jones NYJ $16

18 Kevin Smith DET $14

19 Ryan Grant GB $14

20 Pierre Thomas NO $12

I think Slaton's too high and Pierre too low with the Bush news.