[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos name Pats OC McDaniels head coach

AtomicCEO

Just scrolled across my screen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234

The Denver Broncos have reached agreement to name New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels their new head coach, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen on Sunday.

McDaniels, 32 :D , replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired Dec. 30 after 14 years on the job. The team is expected to announce the deal on Monday.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen sent COO Joe Ellis to Boston Thursday for a lengthy second interview with McDaniels, who, according to sources, was one of two finalists along with Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

McDaniels becomes the third member of Belichick's coaching staff to be named an NFL head coach in recent years, following Romeo Crennel, who took over Cleveland in 2005 and was fired after this past season, and Eric Mangini, who went to the Jets in 2006. Mangini was also fired after this season and has since been named to replace Crennel in Cleveland. :wacko:

McDaniels has worked in the NFL for eight seasons, all with New England. He joined the Patriots on March 1, 2001 as a personnel assistant in the scouting department and assisted the defensive coaching staff for three seasons. He began serving as the Patriots' quarterbacks coach in 2004 and was named offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach on Jan. 20, 2006.

McDaniels began his coaching career in 1999 as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working under head coach Nick Saban.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Oh my. He has nine years of total coaching experience.

And this for a team who's main problem this year was youth and inexperience (and injuries). Yikes.

Pats assistant coaches seem to be a similar phenomenon to Denver RBs... send them somewhere else, and they just aren't that good. Honestly, I expected a bigger name here.

You know what's funny though? If you do a Google search for "McDaniels", it comes back and says "Did you mean McDonalds?".

what a relief, in regards to the denver coaching situation i thought it was going to say "Did you mean Spagnolo?"

You know what's funny though? If you do a Google search for "McDaniels", it comes back and says "Did you mean McDonalds?".

That's a Coming to America reference right there.

That's not a Coming to America reference. That was McDowell's.

It's a Run DMC reference. In Son of Byford, DMC (Darryl McDaniels) says:

"It's McDaniels, not McDonald's

These rhymes are Darryl's, those burgers are RONALD'S"

Just saying.

Just saying.

DOH!

I knew that.

So was Mangini. :wacko:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Honestly, it was going to be very difficult to satisfy me when you let go of a guy who had as many Superbowl wins as losing seasons in 14 years.

This doesn't do it. If we're looking for a new coach in a year, I'm going to start punching nuns.

I just hope Pat Bowlen hires a GM soon. The team is headed for disaster if they don't get someone in there to make better decisions. This could be the beginning of a really ugly stretch for Denver. They've been at worst a .500 team for a long time now, and something tells me they are headed for 4-12 territory if they don't get their chit together. Does Bowlen think he can be GM? Anyone know if he's even looking for one? He didn't give McDaniels that power, did he?

:wacko:

Just saying.

You're right. When I read it, I thought I remember McDougals or something.