[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

dungy done

dmarc117

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Dungy returning to football, but if he did about the only place I see him doing it is Tampa so he could be with his family. He's a top class coach/person and I wish him the best in whatever he does next, but I think it was the right move for everyone involved. I'm not holding my breathe that Caldwell will be better, or that much different, but a change was in order in Indy.

God told him to do it.

Dungy is taking advice from Bruschi now?

I don't see Dungy returning to football, but if he did about the only place I see him doing it is Tampa so he could be with his family. He's a top class coach/person and I wish him the best in whatever he does next, but I think it was the right move for everyone involved. I'm not holding my breathe that Caldwell will be better, or that much different, but a change was in order in Indy.

The Colts have won at least 12 games each season since 2003 - that's 6 straight seasons winning 12+ games, AND they won a SB (all under Dungy). I'm not sure why such a change was 'needed'.

The Colts have won at least 12 games each season since 2003 - that's 6 straight seasons winning 12+ games, AND they won a SB (all under Dungy). I'm not sure why such a change was 'needed'.

If that's all it were about was winning regular season games, sure you'd be right. But the main goal is to win SB's. I'm not saying Dungy was bad for the team or the city, but a team with the talent the Colts have had should have, at the minimum, more SB appearances. Their failure to perform in the off season is the change that is needed. This is something that troubled Dungy in Tampa and, imo, Indy too.

I seriously doubt that Dungy will return to the NFL. For the past couple of years, he's been talking about retirement as a means to spend more time with his family (in Tampa) and to become more heavily involved in his ministry work.

Thanks for everything, Tony, and good luck.

GDB Caldwell as new coach, he's just a Dungy clone/wannabe. :wacko: I almost hope they suck next year so bad and he's so clearly not in control that they cut their losses, but Manning and co. will probably prop him up enough that he'll be there for God knows how long.....

I bet Polian loves him cuz he figures he can manhandle the guy pretty easily re. personnel.

I seriously doubt that Dungy will return to the NFL. For the past couple of years, he's been talking about retirement as a means to spend more time with his family (in Tampa) and to become more heavily involved in his ministry work.

Yes, once he's out he's staying out. No booth, no sideline return, IMO.

If that's all it were about was winning regular season games, sure you'd be right. But the main goal is to win SB's. I'm not saying Dungy was bad for the team or the city, but a team with the talent the Colts have had should have, at the minimum, more SB appearances. Their failure to perform in the off season is the change that is needed. This is something that troubled Dungy in Tampa and, imo, Indy too.

I think too many people underestimate the difficulty of winning a Superbowl. Winning the SB is the result of everything going your way - while it cerainly takes a good team to win, it also requires quite a bit of luck as well and it's not always the best team that wins it. That being said, the only thing a coach can do is prepare his team to win as many games possible to make the playoffs (12 wins will get you into the playoffs) - from there ANYTHING can happen. We saw this happen last year - the NYG won games at the right time. Were they the best team last year? Well, it depends if you think one game defines a season - IMO the NYG were the best team that weekend. Regardless, I don't think any coach or player can be defined by winning SBs. Unfortunately players and coaches are defined by it but I think it's a little silly. I should clarify, I think it's silly to look bad on not winning the big game because it takes so much to go your way in order to accomplish it.

The Colts definitely needed a change. Same offensive coordinator since Manning was drafted. Same defensive coordinator since Dungy was hired. But I don't think I wanted Dungy gone. Sure the one-and-dones in the play-offs have been maddening, but he did guide us to a Super Bowl. My biggest complaint was that after all these years with Dungy, the D still sucks. I dunno. I think the Colts have taken a step back here....

and he was NOT forced out. Irsay and Polian are very emotional at the press conference right now. If Dungy wanted to come back, there is no doubt he would be the Colts' coach next year.

The Colts definitely needed a change. Same offensive coordinator since Manning was drafted. Same defensive coordinator since Dungy was hired. But I don't think I wanted Dungy gone. Sure the one-and-dones in the play-offs have been maddening, but he did guide us to a Super Bowl. My biggest complaint was that after all these years with Dungy, the D still sucks. I dunno. I think the Colts have taken a step back here....

and he was NOT forced out. Irsay and Polian are very emotional at the press conference right now. If Dungy wanted to come back, there is no doubt he would be the Colts' coach next year.

You would know better than me but I think it's the offensive system that is preventing the D from getting better. It takes so much to learn the offense with all the audibles, etc that once the skill players (Wayne, Harrison, Clark, etc) learn it the front office needs to tie up big money in keeping those guys which prevents money being spent on the other side of the ball. I obviously don't know what te cap number is that's tied up in these guys but if 3/4 of the money is in the skill players (including Peyton) plus Freeney and Sanders then there isn't much else to go around to build on.

Sure the one-and-dones in the play-offs have been maddening, but he did guide us to a Super Bowl.

The way I look at it is that Dungy managed to get some very flawed teams into the playoffs. I'm not sure that just any old coach would've done that. This season's team, in particular, had no business being in the post-season, much less winning 12 games in a surprisingly-competitive AFC.

My biggest complaint was that after all these years with Dungy, the D still sucks.

Agreed, although it's somewhat difficult to improve defense when all of the cap room is going to offensive skill-position players. Still, I don't like Dungy's approach of building around defensive backs and pass-rushers, and throwing in sub-par players at DT and OLB. The speed-based bend-but-don't-break defense doesn't work well in Foxboro or Pittsburgh in January, and I really hope that this philosophy is scrapped. You don't win in the playoffs if you don't control the line of scrimmage. The only time when the Colts were able to do this in the post-season was the year that they won it all. But they're not constructed to play that way over the long-term.

I really like what Cowher/Tomlin/LeBeau/Wisenhunt have done in Pittsburgh. I'd like to see the Colts slowly transition to this type of a defense- and run-oriented team over the next couple of years. They can't ride Peyton's aging arm forever, and it makes sense with Marvin being done and Reggie already at age 30. Cut Marvin, draft some good DTs, O-linemen, LBs, and a nice halfback over the next few years. They'll still have a very good passing game with some strong play-makers, but will be a stronger team overall.

I dunno. I think the Colts have taken a step back here....

They have, but I think that his time was up. As much as I like Dungy (both professionally and personally) and appreciate what he's done, I don't see the Colts improving on the one-and-out playoff status quo with him. It's unlikely to happen without a fundamental change to their defense.