[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders replace WR Coach (Lofton) with promoted Quality Control Employee.

keggerz

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/13/raiders-re...ofton-with-lal/

The Raiders have fired wide receivers coach James Lofton and have promoted quality control Sanjay Lal to wide receivers coach. The Raiders signed Lal to a two-year contract extension Tuesday.

what the hell is a "Quality Control" position and are the Raiders at the forefront of sourcing out coaches positions to India :wacko:

edit found the bio for Lal at the raiders site:

http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=16982.

Sanjay Lal

job titleQuality Control, Offense

Years on Team

2007 Sanjay Lal Headshot

Sanjay Lal joined The Oakland Raiders in 2007 working with the wide receivers for the Silver and Black as operating as offensive quality control assistant. Prior to joining the Raiders, Lal spent three seasons as an offensive assistant - quarterbacks at Cal, following one season on the football staff at Saint Mary's College as quarterback and strength, speed and conditioning coach. The Bears played in bowl games in each of Lal’s seasons at Cal and captured a share of the school’s first Pac-10 title (tied with USC) in 2006. He was the wide receivers coach at Los Medanos College (2003) and was passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at Miramonte High (1996-02), when the school won five North Coast Section championships and one state title, including a 13-0 record in 2001. Lal played wide receiver at the University of Washington and was a Husky Hall of Fame selection. He was on the Huskies' 1992 National Championship team and a member of two Rose Bowl teams. Before transferring to Washington, he was a member of the 1989 UCLA Cotton Bowl championship team. Lal signed as a free agent with the St. Louis Rams in 1998 and was with the Scottish Claymores of NFL Europe in 1999. His wife’s name is Melody.

Edited by keggerz

what the hell is a "Quality Control" position and are the Raiders at the forefront of sourcing out coaches positions to India :wacko:

Quality Control people are the errand boys for the position coaches. There's usually one or two on offense and defense who do things during games like get photos printed, coordinate player groups, or run hand signals from the sidelines, etc.. During practices, they coordinate drills and take care of materials provided to players and such. Lal is a little older than most QC coaches. He's also of Samoan/Islander descent, making him non-white, as keggerz pointed out, which is also a common trait among their kind.

The weirdest part is that I thought I knew every single player on the UW 2-deep depth chart on their 1992 team. I've never heard of this guy before. And he is a Husky HOFer? Wasn't it like two weeks ago where Lofton was going to request a shot to be the head coach in Oakland? And now fired?

Quality Control people are the errand boys for the position coaches. There's usually one or two on offense and defense who do things during games like get photos printed, coordinate player groups, or run hand signals from the sidelines, etc.. During practices, they coordinate drills and take care of materials provided to players and such. Lal is a little older than most QC coaches. He's also of Samoan/Islander descent, making him non-white, as keggerz pointed out, which is also a common trait among their kind.

They also do stuff like breaking down game film for the coordinators and head coaches. Its really not uncommon at all to promote QCs up to position coaches and eventually coordinators. Some previous quality control coaches you might have heard of include Mike McCarthy, Jon Gruden, Eric Mangini, Lane Kiffin, Steve Spagnuolo, Kyle Shanahan (Houston OC) and Brad Childress.

The weirdest part is that I thought I knew every single player on the UW 2-deep depth chart on their 1992 team. I've never heard of this guy before. And he is a Husky HOFer? Wasn't it like two weeks ago where Lofton was going to request a shot to be the head coach in Oakland? And now fired?

I thought Lofton was one of the people that was talked up for HC positions last year. He got released by the Chargers because they wanted to bring Charlie Joiner back.

This is classic AL Davis. Whoever comes in as HC, is going to have little to do with what actually happens with the organization. If this guy is a Davis hack, he is more of a spy for the Icecream Man than a real coach.

It is going to be very interesting to see who actually would take that job. Until Al retires or dies, I don't see a legitimate HC talent taking that job... EVER!

Hey, maybe Shanny will go back and get the rest of the cash the Al owes him??? :wacko:

It has GOT to be hard to be a Raider fan.

The whole division is in turmoil. If the Bolts can actually enter the season healthy, unlike this year, they may run away with the division early. It is sad to see this happen to the AFC West. It used to be a lot more fun to actually "worry" about playing a division game. :D

Bolts better keep one eye over their shoulder. KC will suck a little less and DEN will focus on their DEF. An interview with the new Denver GM yesterday was very promising. Also, Denver's offense will improve too.

But not next year. Things will tighten back up in 2010 or 11 again.