[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gruden Fired!?!

RaiderSteve

living here and hating the bucs, can tell you that Gruden is not liked by the players, and much like the Brian Billick era, came in to make a great defensive team into a more balanced one, and couldn't come close. He has a ton of input on personnel so the "he didn't have the players" card is a bit hollow - while they never lucked into a top 10 QB, the rest of the personnel you can go get if you are smart about things.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. three of the best coaches in the business don't have a job right now -- gruden, shanahan, and cowher. four if you count dungy. weirdness. the owners are gettin uppity this offseason.

Billick & Mariucci are still out there, as well as Schottenheimer.

That's an amount of firepower available...

Edited by Pope Flick

:wacko: Wow, I thought he'd be safe this year, and I certainly thought the GM was safe. I must admit to excitement over some of the names out there without having thought this through. I'll always think fondly of him for the ring (and Dungy too).

Edited by MonkeyOne

I was driving home and there was a news report that former Lion's Def Coordinator Joe Barry was hired by the Bucs as linebackers coach. Five minutes later they broke in with the firing of Gruden. Curious if Gruden hired him before being fired. Would be crazy if Barry was hired then fired soon after because a new HC is brought in.

Edited by Puddy

I was driving home and there was a news report that former Lion's Def Coordinator Joe Barry was hired by the Bucs as linebackers coach. Five minutes later they broke in with the firing of Gruden. Curious if Gruden hired him before being fired. Would be crazy if Barry was hired then fired soon after because a new HC is brought in.

Hiring the Lions DC is probably cause to fire anyone. :wacko:

Is that speculation on Morris or you got an inside source at the Bucs' organization?

"At this time, the chatter that Pewter Report is hearing is not confirmed or been made official. However, these are the rumors that PR is hearing.

Recently promoted to defensive coordinator, Raheem Morris is going to be made the next head coach of the Buccaneers.

Director of Pro Personnel Mark Dominik will be the next general manager of the team.

The Bucs have also possibly hired the recently fired New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs as the assistant head coach.

Senior assistant to the general manager Kevin Demoff is safe from being fired.

Pewter Report will have more on the Buccaneers next moves. Stay tuned. "

How ironic....Gruden is the lead in an obscure Greek Tragedy...

In the late 90s, Gruden turns the Raiders from a mediocre team to a 3-time AFC West Division winner and an AFC contender from 1999 to 2001.

At the end of the 2001 season a Gruden led Raider team looses to the soon to be team of the 00s in the Tuck-Game.

In 2002 Gruden leaves Oakland and Al Davis and leads a Tony Dungy built team to the Superbowl only to meet his former team in the Superbowl led by a coaching staff he put together himself.

In the Superbowl Gruden's Buccaneers embarrasses the Raiders when the Raiders foolishly use the offensive plays that Gruden developed during his tenure in Oakland.

In 2003 Oakland begins it's 6 year tailspin into oblivion going through 5 head/interim coaches in 6 years.

From 2003 to 2008 Tampa reaches the playoffs a couple times but fails to win a playoff game.

In 2008, the lowly Raiders beat the Buccaneers in week 17, sealing the fate of the Bucs and Gruden when the Bucs fail to make the playoffs and loose 4 straight after starting the season 9-3.

Early 2009, Gruden is fired, after an emotional season and after loosing long-time Buc Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffen who interestingly enough joins his just fired son Lane Kiffen in Tennessee.

Late 2009...I am sure his story will continue

Edited by Return Of S&B

"At this time, the chatter that Pewter Report is hearing is not confirmed or been made official. However, these are the rumors that PR is hearing.

Recently promoted to defensive coordinator, Raheem Morris is going to be made the next head coach of the Buccaneers.

Director of Pro Personnel Mark Dominik will be the next general manager of the team.

The Bucs have also possibly hired the recently fired New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs as the assistant head coach.

Senior assistant to the general manager Kevin Demoff is safe from being fired.

Pewter Report will have more on the Buccaneers next moves. Stay tuned. "

This is currently scrolling across the bottom of ESPN News as a done deal. Nice info JR.

Edited by irish

Bad teams are often bad because of a protracted culture of failure. The Bucs had a winner and fired him. Lol, welcome back to irrelevance.

Morris has been around since 2002..........he is a winner and has been part of the winning culture that actually started before Gruden showed up.

Now I have always liked Gruden but, it has been reported for some time now that his players never trusted him and the organization had problems getting free agents to come to Tampa to play for Gruden. Morris is a players coach and should atleast change all that. Is he green? Yes but you could say the same for Mike Tomlin as Raheem Morris has pretty much followed the same path as him to a head coaching job.

The reason Gruden got fired was that the team has not changed in the last 3 years. They are just an OK football team that stays in most games and wins a couple more than they lose every year. Their defense is always pretty good but the offense always has problems.

Morris has been around since 2002..........he is a winner and has been part of the winning culture that actually started before Gruden showed up.

Now I have always liked Gruden but, it has been reported for some time now that his players never trusted him and the organization had problems getting free agents to come to Tampa to play for Gruden. Morris is a players coach and should atleast change all that. Is he green? Yes but you could say the same for Mike Tomlin as Raheem Morris has pretty much followed the same path as him to a head coaching job.

The reason Gruden got fired was that the team has not changed in the last 3 years. They are just an OK football team that stays in most games and wins a couple more than they lose every year. Their defense is always pretty good but the offense always has problems.

Add to that, Gruden has NEVER developed a QB in Tampa. Each time he tried, he failed. He thinks he can get by with a vet QB every year. Well, he didnt, and that is a major reason he is gone. Personally, I am glad. Ive never liked him. And I hear a lot of people agree with me down here about that.

Add to that, Gruden has NEVER developed a QB in Tampa. Each time he tried, he failed. He thinks he can get by with a vet QB every year. Well, he didnt, and that is a major reason he is gone. Personally, I am glad. Ive never liked him. And I hear a lot of people agree with me down here about that.

That is called group think. The rest of the world knows he is a great coach. I'm not sold on Tomlin either.

I'd take Tomlin in Denver in a heartbeat.

No such luck. :wacko:

I just dont like this scatback stuff. Maybe next year when Menhall is back I will warm up to him but right now all he has proven is that he hasnt won the superbowl with superbowl quality talent. He could surprise me and win it his year but I just dont think you can win with a tiny rb as your primary weapon.