[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DET - why give up on young QBs

BeeR

the lions cannot afford to screw this draft up....and if i were them i would lay off of stafford....he might end up being a good nfl qb...he has plenty of tools...but ive seen enough of him...and hes inconsistent in the SEC where speed rules

in my opinion the lions absolutely have to take andre smith first(maybe they prefer another one of the tackles like monroe...to me though smith is probably the most worthy of the 1st selection...how many guys improve their draft stock by not playing in a bowl game!)....then they can use that dallas pick on defense...maybe a corner....vontae davis perhaps?

then maybe...just maybe somebody like josh freeman is left on the board late in the 1st...or even a sanchez...then you can trade up from the 2nd back into the 1st and take a shot...or i would suggest maybe even laying off the qb position in the first two rounds altogether....

this team absolutey has a few pieces like CJ and kevin smith....i think teams like this are now looking for the quick fix turnaround like atlanta...id love to be calling the shots on draft day in detroit....i think if they exercise some patience they could really help themselves

then maybe...just maybe somebody like josh freeman is left on the board late in the 1st...or even a sanchez...

ugh, I hate me some Josh Freeman. I just don't think the kid has it. Good measurables, but I question a lot of his decisions and attitude/ability to lead a team.

I say screw going for QBs at all and after taking (I'd assume) a top OL then go D pretty much all the way.

Agreed, with the leagues worst D the last 5yrs or more, time to start drafting on this side of the ball alot more and get some quality.

ugh, I hate me some Josh Freeman. I just don't think the kid has it. Good measurables, but I question a lot of his decisions and attitude/ability to lead a team.

i hear you....maybe freeman isnt yours or the lions cup of tea....im just saying...maybe in that spot it wouldnt hurt to take a shot(not big on freeman either...but hes fits the bill as somebody who might still be sitting there)...but theyve got to take smith and then defense....and maybe ignore the qb position totally

i hear you....maybe freeman isnt yours or the lions cup of tea....im just saying...maybe in that spot it wouldnt hurt to take a shot(not big on freeman either...but hes fits the bill as somebody who might still be sitting there)...but theyve got to take smith and then defense....and maybe ignore the qb position totally

I agree with this last point. Wait until there is a better crop of QBs to draft. This year's group doesn't seem that strong to me. The Lions should try to bring in a free agent to compete with Orlovsky / Stanton. It doesn't look like a ton of free agents are out there. Maybe Cassel... Grossman... Patrick Ramsey... Kyle Boller? Gosh, Orlovsky doesn't sound that bad thinking about some of the free agent riff raff out there.

On the QB draft topic. Does anybody think the Players Association negotiations next year with the Owners is going to affect the money paid to drafted players? It seems logical as football players who have never played a down in the league can sign these 30mil contracts while vets get far less. Especially since people it affects most (current college players) don't really have a vote in the negotiation. The PA would rather have vets earn more and the owners would rather not pay so much to rookies. SO, assuming some kind of cap is placed on 1st round draft picks...wouldn't it make a little since for DET to put the Kitna, Orlovsky, Pepper show in the game for one year while adding players and spending money on people that are more likely to pan out (lineman/LBs)? Then take a couple QBs in next years draft when you might not have to spend 60mil on a USC/Georgia QB that may end up like Booty (3rd string backup on a MN team that doesn't have a whole lot of talent) or Lienert (bust of a different sort but sh!t still stinks). Just throwing out ideas hear, but I think it makes some sense to think about waiting or maybe just taking a low (3rd round or later) QB that you think you could develop over time.

On the QB draft topic. Does anybody think the Players Association negotiations next year with the Owners is going to affect the money paid to drafted players? It seems logical as football players who have never played a down in the league can sign these 30mil contracts while vets get far less. Especially since people it affects most (current college players) don't really have a vote in the negotiation. The PA would rather have vets earn more and the owners would rather not pay so much to rookies. SO, assuming some kind of cap is placed on 1st round draft picks...wouldn't it make a little since for DET to put the Kitna, Orlovsky, Pepper show in the game for one year while adding players and spending money on people that are more likely to pan out (lineman/LBs)? Then take a couple QBs in next years draft when you might not have to spend 60mil on a USC/Georgia QB that may end up like Booty (3rd string backup on a MN team that doesn't have a whole lot of talent) or Lienert (bust of a different sort but sh!t still stinks). Just throwing out ideas hear, but I think it makes some sense to think about waiting or maybe just taking a low (3rd round or later) QB that you think you could develop over time.

Good points here except it's possible the NFLPA will want both - increases for vets, status quo at best for rookies.

Side note: Some of these round one QBs are busts BECAUSE of the massive contracts. Some people have the mentality to work hard and develop with $30m already in the bank, others simply don't. I wonder if the success ratio will rise if contracts are capped where they really should be (wherever that is) or, better, become much more incentive laden?

I agree with you tho, a great LT is a much safer pick than the #1 QB, especially this year.

I forgot, what's Kitna's injury and is he expected to fully recover?

Like Stockar McDougle and Aaron Gibson?

With respect to Kitna, he was placed on IR because of a "back injury." Kitna says that he was good to go, above 90%, when the Lions put him on IR.

I don't think that the back is an issue, but I've not seen/heard anything about it this year.

Like Stockar McDougle and Aaron Gibson?

So you're saying they shouldn't draft a stud OL because 1 or 2 didn't pan out before? Then I guess they aren't drafting a QB either. Or practically every other position.

A long snapper w/the #1 pick - set the precedent Lions!

So you're saying they shouldn't draft a stud OL because 1 or 2 didn't pan out before? Then I guess they aren't drafting a QB either. Or practically every other position.

A long snapper w/the #1 pick - set the precedent Lions!

The reading comprehension on this board has dropped considerably over the years.

The point is, almost any draft pick is a risk to be a bust - QB, OT, long snapper, whatever.

The reading comprehension on this board has dropped considerably over the years.

The point is, almost any draft pick is a risk to be a bust - QB, OT, long snapper, whatever.

Yes, but everyone else is making the point that their is much LESS risk in taking an O lineman or special defensive player than in picking a QB. I'm not really sure you should be criticizing anyone on reading comp. Something about people in glass houses...and throwing stones :wacko:

Edited by Square