[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wonder if they are using stick'em now?

DMD

I am doing some big articles in the offseason and something I came across was the number of fumbles by top 30 running backs for the last ten years. You would assume sort of the same numbers just as the rushing yards are basically the same overall year to year. But not fumbles.

2000 81

2001 76

2002 76

2003 74

2004 70

2005 48

2006 68

2007 54

2008 48

Wonder if all the RBBC teams have fresher players that do not fumble? This year was 41% lower on fumbles than 2000.. That's a lot bigger change than any other measurement you want to compare between years.

Just seems really odd.

about the only reason i can come up with is that is become more and more of a focus every year to take care of the football.

Drills, coaching, proper technique in covering the point of the ball- I just think it has evolved into something RB's are more conscious of.

For instance - you see guys get into the 2nd level on a run, and immediately go to protect the ball, sometimes with both hands- a move you never used to see in years past.

Also, I think with bigger backs carrying the ball more- they seem to fumble less than the little guys

my 2 cents on it

I am doing some big articles in the offseason and something I came across was the number of fumbles by top 30 running backs for the last ten years. You would assume sort of the same numbers just as the rushing yards are basically the same overall year to year. But not fumbles.

2000 81

2001 76

2002 76

2003 74

2004 70

2005 48

2006 68

2007 54

2008 48

Wonder if all the RBBC teams have fresher players that do not fumble? This year was 41% lower on fumbles than 2000.. That's a lot bigger change than any other measurement you want to compare between years.

Just seems really odd.

Are those fumbles lost or just forced fumbles regardless who recovers? Either way it is a dramatic drop.

Limas Sweed could have used some stick'em last night. :wacko:

Beat me to it by just a hair.

I do know that a lot of the WR's are using gloves that really grip the ball. I have seen these gloves up close and if I played in the nfl there is no way that I would play without them.

In looking at the stats, something changed 04 to 05 with a bit of an inconsistency in 06. Was there possibly a ball change of some sort?

Knowing the number of carries involved would help too cause could just be that the top 30 now has a lot less carries.

How do relative measures like fumbles per carry look? I would think there are fewer carries by the top 30 backs because of the rise in RBBC in recent years. :wacko:

That's what I was thinking. Also, have the total number of carries by all backs per season gone down? Less carries, less opportunities to fumble.

How do relative measures like fumbles per carry look? I would think there are fewer carries by the top 30 backs because of the rise in RBBC in recent years. :wacko:

Carries per fumble

2000 103.6

2001 102.6

2002 105.5

2003 108.2

2004 112.4

2005 170.9

2006 126.1

2007 139.0

2008 161.1

Maybe more accurate - touches per fumble

2000 120.0

2001 118.2

2002 124.0

2003 124.1

2004 126.8

2005 190.6

2006 143.0

2007 158.2

2008 181.2

I think it is worse officiating. The ability to discern a fumble has really gone downhill.

You inadvertantly bring up an interesting question - does instant replay have anything to do with it? Or coaching challenges?

Something happened between 04 and 05 - you just don't have a statistic that is so steady that changes that dramatically, and now continues to change dramatically....i'd still say it was the ball itself as everything else would result in small incremental sort of changes, not the 50% or so statistical change we see in all these stats for that one year

You inadvertantly bring up an interesting question - does instant replay have anything to do with it? Or coaching challenges?

I was going to post this. The rule changes regarding complete catches may have something to do with it. Two feet and a football move.

How many times do you see a guy catch a ball, get immediately hit and drop the ball? Ruled an incompletion now. Probably ruled a catch and fumble in years past.

Tiki used to be a fumbling machine. But at the end of career, he was as rock solid with the rock as anybody. I think it has more to do with teaching the way to carry the ball in all aspects than anything. I watch the rookie combines and am always amazed when I see some kid running down the sideline with the ball in the opposite hand it should be (ball should ALWAYS be against the sideline). Those kids usually don't make it. Protecting the ball has become an actual fundamental science as apposed to years past.

I think this would have a negligible effect. Wouldn't those fumbles overturned by replay be offset by non-fumbles called fumbles after review?

Tiki used to be a fumbling machine. But at the end of career, he was as rock solid with the rock as anybody. I think it has more to do with teaching the way to carry the ball in all aspects than anything. I watch the rookie combines and am always amazed when I see some kid running down the sideline with the ball in the opposite hand it should be (ball should ALWAYS be against the sideline). Those kids usually don't make it. Protecting the ball has become an actual fundamental science as apposed to years past.

Bingo -

I posted the same-nice to see someone is paying attention. There is just more emphasis, and focus on protecting the football, from coaching to technique.

You never used to see so many backs conscious of protecting the ball when they got thru the line and into the LB and secondary.

Beat me to it by just a hair.

I do know that a lot of the WR's are using gloves that really grip the ball. I have seen these gloves up close and if I played in the nfl there is no way that I would play without them.

I think a lot of it does have to do with the advancement of "sticky" gloves. I have played with some flag football games where all you really need to do is stick a hand out and the ball will just stick right to it. Combine that extra grip with players protecting the ball and I think it would make sense that fumbles go down.

I think a lot of it does have to do with the advancement of "sticky" gloves. I have played with some flag football games where all you really need to do is stick a hand out and the ball will just stick right to it. Combine that extra grip with players protecting the ball and I think it would make sense that fumbles go down.

Most RB do not wear gloves - what you talkin bout?