[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions hire Gunther Cunningham as DC

Puddy

I just finished my blogpost on this:

http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2009/...untherball.html

Bottom line, I think Schwartz understands that he's going to be too busy being the head coach to also be the defensive coordinator--and he needed an experienced DC of like mind and philosophy to run the defensive show while he got his feet wet. Also, I bet Gunther's just dying to start sending the house at people again after running the Tampa 2 for the past couple years . . . I can't want to see Cliff Avril in the roaming flex DE/OLB role Derrick Thomas played.

:wacko: Please, please PLEASE let us be getting the '98 Gunther and not the '08 Gunther! :D

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

fn DMD the bean counter :wacko:

:D

Wasn't this the guy brought in to save KC's D who promptly didn't help it for squat (in fairness he didn't have the horses, but still...)? And I thought he was a special teams guy?

One of the things the Chargers did pretty well, even when they still sucked was play defense, they just couldn't score many points. They brought in Gunther for some reason and they went right through the floor and SUCKED. He lasted, if I remember right, one season in San Diego. The details are foggy as I try to forget painful history.

His defenses are complicated and I don't think he has innovated them much at all for a decade. Good luck with that Lion fans! :D

. . . and it looks like Bob Slowik has been hired as the DB coach. Well, he was awful as the DC in Green Bay, decent-to-meh as the DC in Denver. Still, having a DB coach with extensive experience as a DC is cool. In preliminary research, it looks like when he gets his druthers he loves to blitz and gamble . . . this is shaping up to be a staff with an extremely aggressive identity.

Daddy likes.

Peace

policy