[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's on your Sports Mount Rushmore?

tazinib1

dood- I know your not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you missed a few.......

John Stockton -born

Elgin Baylor - Seattle U

Ryne Sandberg - born

Warren Moon - UW, Seahawks

He missed quite a few but he may have picked one for each sport.

Gary Payton (Seattle Supersonics) - 9-time All-Star with Sonics, Sonics all-time leader in games, points, steals, assists

Edgar Martinez (Seattle Mariners)

Drew Bledsoe (Ellensburg, Washington State Cougars)

Lenny Wilkens (Seattle Supersonics)

Jim Zorn (Seattle Seahawks

Jack Sikma (Seattle Supersonics)

Ichiro Suzuki (Seattle Mariners)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He missed quite a few but he may have picked one for each sport.

Gary Payton (Seattle Supersonics) - 9-time All-Star with Sonics, Sonics all-time leader in games, points, steals, assists

Edgar Martinez (Seattle Mariners)

Drew Bledsoe (Ellensburg, Washington State Cougars)

Lenny Wilkens (Seattle Supersonics)

Jim Zorn (Seattle Seahawks

Jack Sikma (Seattle Supersonics)

Ichiro Suzuki (Seattle Mariners)

ya, I understand Randull - but I wanted to stick with guys that were born there, played college or at least adopted Sea as home somewhat......

the only one that makes sense is Lenny Wilkens- good call and Bledsoe - the rest , naw

~~~

Easy for some of the rest of you, but not so many choices for me.

Colorado

John Elway - football

Bryon "Whizzer" White - college football - Supreme Court

Peggy Fleming - figure skating

Buddy Werner - skiing (sort of) - but more legendary death

Honorable Stone Head

since we have additonal mountains:

Jack Dempsey

David Thompson exclued due to fear of being high (on a mountain).

~~~

Ohio

Jim Brown of course

Bob Feller

Jesse Owens

LeBron James

A little early in LeBron's career but this would be my 4 also. tonorator's Jack Nicklaus probably belongs also but I don't know who you leave off (besides LeBron for now).

Being that I'm from Oregon, I'll start my hometown states Mount Rushmore of sports stars. This should get interesting when people start listing NY,Penn,Mass,Texas and other states with a significantly broader pool of HOF talent.

Oregon:

Bill Walton -- Although he wasn't born in Oregon, he led the Jailblazers to there only World Championship, and Oregons only pro teams championship to date.

Dale Murphy -- I loved watching this guy play and I'm still wondering why he isn't in the HOF. I guess his HR total will keep him out. A shame. He's on the mountain cause he's an Oregon native.

Mary Decker-Slaney -- I used to watch her practice in Eugene and it broke my heart when Zola Budd tripped her during the Olympics. Man she was a hotty.

Dan Fouts -- Yep, the Oregon Duck phenom went on to a HOF career with the Chargers. Class act.

I might get alittle flack by leaving off Clyde Drexler, but I didn't want 2 basketball players dominating the landscape.

No Prefontaine?

A little early in LeBron's career but this would be my 4 also. tonorator's Jack Nicklaus probably belongs also but I don't know who you leave off (besides LeBron for now).

I thought about that same thing and I think I agree with you, although I know he will eventually be there, I really can't put up a solid argument to have him there right now over Jack and his accomplishments.

We don't know much of anything but football in Mississippi, but what we lack in other sports we more than make up for in that category. Pound for pound, I'd put us up against any state.

Football

Brett Favre

Walter Payton

Jerry Rice

Archie Manning

Lance Alworth

LC Greenwood

Ray Guy

Steve McNair

Johnny Vaught

Deuce McAllister

Ray Perkins

Frank Kinard

Baseball

Dizzy Dean

Cool Papa Bell

Will Clark

Edited by rajncajn

Off the top of my head (I have a feeling I'm going to miss somebody)....

Played/Coached in MN:

Bud Grant - Lettered in football, basketball, and baseball at Minnesota. Played in the NFL and the NBA. NFL coach of the year in 1969 and led the Vikings to 4 SB's.

Harmon Killebrew - HOF'er for the Twins and currently 9th on the all-time HR list.

Kirby Puckett - HOF'er for the Twins, 10 All Stars, 2 World Championships, 6 Gold Gloves, 1 AL MVP and 1 All-Star MVP. I've also named the coolest cat ever (and I normally don't like cats much) after him. :wacko:

Kevin Garnett - 12 All Stars, 1 MVP, 1 All-Star MVP. Also, one NBA championship and one NBA DPOY with the Celtics.

Honorable mention: Rod Carew, Mychal Thompson.

Born in MN:

Herb Brooks - Played on the USA Olympic Hockey teams in 1964 and 1968. Coached the 1980 team and led them to the "Miracle on Ice" gold medal.

Kevin McHale - 3-time NBA champion, 7-time all-star, member of the 50-year anniversary all-NBA team.

Paul Molitor - 1993 WS MVP, 7 all-stars, MLB HOF'er who played 21 seasons.

Dave Winfield - One of two people in history to be drafted by the NBA, NFL, and MLB. 12-time all-star and 7-time gold glove winner, 1 WS championship.

Agree this is a nice list but you forgot a couple of native MN boys Roger Maris (not born in ND as many believe) and Ernie Nevers (NFL legend)...... Larry Fitzgerald is working on his career!!

Edited by T-Scorp

Los Angeles mount rushmore in place of hollywierd sign!

John Wooden (UCLA head coach that one a championship for every finger)

Tiger Woods (grew up in LA and lives in LA now)

Oscar De La Hoya (born east los angeles)

Wayne Gretzky (imported to LA and took us to our one and only finals now lives in LA, could be argued changed hockey forever)

Baseball will not be considered in my mountain, it is not actually a sport, just a boring past time!

Honorable Mention

Magic Johnson (Lakers)

Kobi Bryant (Lakers)

Kareem (Lakers)

Marcus Allen (raiders when they won the superbowl as a LA team)

but if you had to do baseball

Jackie Robinson (grew up in LA from age one on)

Edited by Dont Rookie Me........

Interesting how all you people want to steal players from other states. Maybe we need a better criteria. Anyway, my home state of Virginia has a pretty impressive Mountain (even if those "mountains" in Virginia are only 3,000 feet or so):

Mount VirginiaMore - only if you hail from the Commonwealth:

Lawrence Taylor, Football

Moses Malone, Basketball

Sam Snead, Golf

Arthur Ashe, Tennis

(Runners-up: Ralph Sampson, Fran Tarkenton, Bullet Bill Dudley, BeachBum (Played 1 year JV, 1 year Varsity, Maury High basketball; won City Junior Bowling tournament.)

Live in Australia but follow pretty much all the professional Chicago teams wouldn't have a clue where there guys were born but this i atleast an impressive list of where they played atleast

Walter Payton (Bears)

Michael Jordan (Bulls)

Ernie Banks (Cubs)

Bobby Hull (Blackhawks)

Los Angeles

John Wooden

Tiger Woods

Oscar De La Hoya

Wayne Gretzky

Baseball will not be considered in my mountain, it is not actually a sport, just a boring past time!

Honorable Mention

Magic Johnson

Kobi Bryant

Kareem

Marcus Allen

DRM, the idea behind this is to pick athletes from your state. You need to throw out about half of them :wacko:

dood- I know your not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you missed a few.......

John Stockton -born

Elgin Baylor - Seattle U

Ryne Sandberg - born

Warren Moon - UW, Seahawks

says the man that actually put money down that Shaun Alexander would be a top-10 back last year.

Last I checked, there were four faces on Mt. Rushmore. I didn't want to make a list of 12. I picked the four that I thought were the biggest four from this area. I don't believe that any of the people you picked compare to any of the four that I picked. The title of this thread is "who on YOUR Sports Mount Rushmore". Feel free to have a differing opinion.

Edit to add: We have a bit of downtime in the office, so I had the sports fans in the office answer this same question (7 guys). Three of the four guys I mentioned were the most popular. Warren Moon and John Stockton both got more votes than McElhenney, but IMO this is because nobody in this office is really old enough to remember McElhenney. Your guys are great, don't get me wrong, but if you are looking for the absolute top 4, its pretty hard to argue with Largent, Griffey & James being three of them.

Edited by Seahawks21

Forget California and Los Angeles - Combine 'em into UCLA (U of California Los Angeles) and you still get a pretty good mountain side:

John Wooden

Jackie Robinson

Arthur Ashe

Karch Kiraly

OK the last one shows a little predujice toward MY sport - Beach Volleyball - but Kiraly is probably the greatest all-around VBer ever, and the most important player in all venues - Beach, College, and Olympics.

Of course you could also have - Lew Alcindor (Kareem), Rafer Johnson, Flo-Jo, Troy Aikman, Ann Myers, . . .

how about this?

Los Angeles

OJ Simpson

Hulk Hogan

Barry Bonds

Georgia Frontiere

loving that one!

Bonds was born In Riverside, played HS in San Mateo college in Tucson and MLB in San Francisco. Seems more like a northern California guy. The Giants even drafted him as a high school senior but they couldn't agree on a contract.

To do Texas right it would require an entire mountain range of sculptures but keeping it for just football

Tom Landry

Emmitt Smith

Earl Campbell

Roger Staubach