[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Official" Super Bowl XLIII Thread

Menudo

Yes, I called it "Official", so, that makes this the most important thread. :D Seriously, I just wanted to get one post together where people can give their thoughts or predictions on this game.

I'm very hopeful for an entertaining, well-played Super Bowl. Hopefully, the officiating won't be a big part of this game and the players will decide the game. Last year's Super Bowl was a great show and I'm hoping for much of the same.

For the Steelers, at the risk of sounding obvious, they need to take care of the football on offense and win the overall turn-over battle. I truly believe that the Steelers are the more complete team. On offense, I believe the Steelers will be able to have some moderate success in the running game. It will probably be somewhere between their success against the Chargers and lack of success running against the Ravens. This will be a hugh key to the offense. If the Steelers can run the ball, that opens up the play-action passing game, which is where their offense thrives. The ability to run the ball also makes it easier on the young offensive lineman, when they are trying to protect Ben. The Cardinals appear to be playing fast, opportunistic defense in these playoffs, and they will be coming after Roethlisberger all game long. This offensive line will be tested early and often. I expect Hines Ward to play at close to 100%, based on what I've been hearing lately. That is a hugh plus if it happens, as Hines is their clutch 3rd down receiver. As much as the Cardinals defense got it together at the right time, so has this Steelers offense. Roethlisberger struggled mightily in the 1st Super Bowl, and he might not admit it, but, I'm sure he wants to have a big-time game. He is throwing the ball as well as he has in his entire career in these playoffs. He has a lot of zip on the ball and I'm expecting a very good day for Ben. On defense, the Steelers will do what they always do. They will try to find opportunities to get after Kurt Warner. It would be a hugh positive for the Steelers if they get can some pressure from their front three, so, they can send a lot of 4 and 5 rush packages and get more of their backers into coverage to defend against the impressive Cardinals receiving corps. I don't expect the Cardinals to have much success running the ball. If they do, it could be a long day for the Steelers defense. As good as their defense is, they are aggressive, and Dick LeBeau has admitted that being aggressive can open up holes in coverage. If the Cardinals are able to run the ball with some success, then the Cards O-Line will do a much better job protecting Warner and the Cards will have success.

I don't know the Cardinals as well as the Steelers, but, I think the key for them is to have some success running the ball on offense, stop the run on defense, and win the turnover battle to win this game.

In the end, I expect this to be an entertaining, hard fought football game. I expect it to be close, and I'm calling Roethlisberger leading the Steelers down for a game-winning field goal.

Steelers 27

Cardinals 24

Best of luck to the Cards fans, and may the best team win. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Harrison's interview on Media day has been odd. He keeps complaining about this week's defensive scheme, saying that they aren't using his skills properly. He said that they have him dropping into coverage too much. I can't get a read on whether he is trying to send a message to the coaching staff that he isn't happy with his role in the scheme this week, or, if he is playing a cat-and-mouse game with the Cardinals and trying to free himself up a bit. I must say, it is odd to hear someone being so open about his feeling on the weekly scheme.

James Harrison's interview on Media day has been odd. He keeps complaining about this week's defensive scheme, saying that they aren't using his skills properly. He said that they have him dropping into coverage too much. I can't get a read on whether he is trying to send a message to the coaching staff that he isn't happy with his role in the scheme this week, or, if he is playing a cat-and-mouse game with the Cardinals and trying to free himself up a bit. I must say, it is odd to hear someone being so open about his feeling on the weekly scheme.

Biggest game of his life and you think he's complaining to the world that his coaching staff are a bunch of idiots? I seriously doubt it.

May the best team win and there be no officiating scandals

+1 - It'll be hard to top the dramatic conclusion of last year's SB, but all I am rooting for is a good game. I really hope the wheels don't come off for the Cardinals early and it turns into a Denver Broncos circa 1987 type SB.

The Steelers are 7 point favorites, but, it appears that a lot of public opinion is that the Cards win this game outright. ESPN's poll on who will win is 52% Cards, 48% Steelers. The betting thread on here seems to have a lot of people playing the Cards moneyline as well. Does this mean that the Cards can stop playing the "No one is giving us a chance card ?" :wacko:

Enjoy the day Steeler and Cardinal fans!

Heading over to a pre-game party soon. My neighbor has a theater in his basement, and he is a big Steelers fan. I watched both playoff games there, but, I'm coming back to the house for the game tonight. I can't watch the Steelers at a full house party, as there is too much noise, talking, etc. Also, as silly as it sounds, I want to watch it with my 2 year old son. He doesn't follow the game, but, he yells 'Go Steelers' and give me high fives when I cheer. I want to be able to tell him that we watched it together, as you never know when they will make it again. My mom is here to watch with me as well, and I know that my Pops will be here in spirit, cheering on the Steelers !!!!

Stomach in knots - check

Fired up - check

Decked out in Steelers gear - check

Wishes the game was kicking off now - check

:wacko: HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!