[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some days are better than others

detlef

Some days I wade through a bunch of crap samples (fortunately that's not very often). Most days it's a mixed bag of pretty cool stuff even if none of it is exceptional.

Some days, my 11:30 appointment has a bag full of Dunn Vineyards and La Sirena wines for me to taste.

Gotta say, the La Sirena Cab 2005 was really, really pretty. Layers of mocha, black currant and spice. Very fine tannins and completely balanced.

The Syrah '04 was stately and earthy but not among my favorites from the region.

The Dunns? They say that they're making their wines in a more accessible manner but they were still pretty wound tight and hard to like up front. Everything seemed to be in place for them to blossom but I was having a hard time working my way through it all.

The straight Napa showed hints of Tobacco and herbs but with deep fruit behind. The Howell Mtn was nearly impossible to get but for some real meatiness.

I liked his Retro Petit Syrah but not as much as most Napa Petites, especially for the money.

I've never understood the wine thing. I'm a black and white guy, either it is good or it isn't. I no longer drink, but when I did it was pretty much beer and bourbon. Does drinking wine automatically make you sound ghey?

I've never understood the wine thing. I'm a black and white guy, either it is good or it isn't. I no longer drink, but when I did it was pretty much beer and bourbon. Does drinking wine automatically make you sound ghey?

You the irony is that, over the years, I've found gay men and women to get the most annoyed by wine-speak.

Some days I wade through a bunch of crap samples (fortunately that's not very often). Most days it's a mixed bag of pretty cool stuff even if none of it is exceptional.

Some days, my 11:30 appointment has a bag full of Dunn Vineyards and La Sirena wines for me to taste.

Gotta say, the La Sirena Cab 2005 was really, really pretty. Layers of mocha, black currant and spice. Very fine tannins and completely balanced.

The Syrah '04 was stately and earthy but not among my favorites from the region.

The Dunns? They say that they're making their wines in a more accessible manner but they were still pretty wound tight and hard to like up front. Everything seemed to be in place for them to blossom but I was having a hard time working my way through it all.

The straight Napa showed hints of Tobacco and herbs but with deep fruit behind. The Howell Mtn was nearly impossible to get but for some real meatiness.

I liked his Retro Petit Syrah but not as much as most Napa Petites, especially for the money.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit San Diego, give me a hollar. Temecula,Ca has a stretch of wineries about 10 miles long..all on 1 road. Wine tasting is a blast if you have all day and somebody with you that isn't drinking.

http://www.temeculawines.org/wineries.html

If you ever have the opportunity to visit San Diego, give me a hollar. Temecula,Ca has a stretch of wineries about 10 miles long..all on 1 road. Wine tasting is a blast if you have all day and somebody with you that isn't drinking.

http://www.temeculawines.org/wineries.html

I guess we'd just need to figure out who that would be...

I've actually got some friends down that way and have had a few aborted trips planned over the last few years. One of these times I'll actually pull it off.